main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Poll: Who is your favorite character of Rogue One?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Ricardo Funes, Jan 24, 2017.

?

Who is your favorite character of Rogue One?

1. Jyn Erso

16.7%
  2. Cassian Andor

13.8%
  3. Orson Krennic

9.2%
  4. Chirrut Îmwe

18.0%
  5. Baze Malbus

1.1%
  6. K-2SO

19.8%
  7. Bodhi Rook

3.5%
  8. Saw Gerrera

2.9%
  9. Admiral Raddus

3.7%
  10. Darth Vader

11.2%
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    After Cassian I thought this guy stood out amongst the throng of background characters.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The thing about Chirrut is everything he says has to be this overly enunciated whimsical riddle or quip, and it just makes him seem pretentious. I get that they were going for this quasi-Jedi type character who may or may not be tapped into the force. And overall he's a likable character and fits in with the movie and the RO crew. I just wish a few of his lines were more straight forward dialogue.

Sarge and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Funny, that's one of the things I love about him. The over the top nature of his dialogue. It almost feels as if it's intentionally played for laughs.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    “Overly enunciated” is because he barely speaks English. Not sure he should be criticized for that too much.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That is not at all what I was referring to. I did not mean that in regards to his ability to speak English.

Just that his delivery sometimes in the context of certain scenes could have been more straightforward, and not always trying to be this wandering philosopher type. It worked well a few times. Other times it comes off as pretentious, just because literally everything else he says is said in that manner.

It's just a minor nitpick I have about the character.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I see. There are two main definitions of “enunciate,” and we just weren’t using the same one.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I was using it more as hyperbole.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Donnie Yen grew up in Boston and speaks excellent English.

9. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    For me, Chirrut felt like they were saying you don't have to be a Jedi to be whimsically philosophical. And it was done in a wink and a nod manner to the audience. Kind of like an inside joke that we're all privy too. And it worked for me. I loved the character.

darthfettus2015 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ve listened to Donnie Yen speak English at length in interviews. He speaks it quite well, though he certainly has some difficulty enunciating. Wouldn’t say he’s totally fluent.

Though looking back, I was definitely wrong to say “barely” speaks English. Was thinking of Jiang Wen (Baze Malbus) when I said that. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He speaks fluently, but with a Cantonese accent, which is very different from "barely speaking English".

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw your edit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No worries! You were just presenting the facts. Embarrassingly, by trying to defend Donnie Yen, I ended up insulting him by confusing him with Jiang Wen...Good intentions and hell, and all that.

EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I like how Jiang Wen had his son translate the script for him, since this was his first English language movie. And how he accidentally gave away a major spoiler because he wanted to try to answer a question in English. [face_laugh]

Bor Mullet and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Jiang Wen was about to say “everyone dies” until Riz Ahmed stopped him.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Haha, yup... so he only managed to say “after this guy dies”, while pointing at Donnie Yen.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. He was gonna pull an Oprah and say “and this guy dies, and this guy dies, and this guy dies, and she dies, and everyone dies.”

18. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    My favourite background character is Pao hands down.
    [​IMG]

19. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
  20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    That he is. It's interesting how he and Chirrut are the only ones beating Jyn in this poll. But I can understand that Donny's performance as Chirrut is very mystical and badass. He draws you in during each scene that features him. K-2SO was compared by some to HK-47, but I think both are great and there is a distinct difference.

The great thing is that every character in this movie has something going on and is worthy of respect for one reason or another.

MotivateR5D4 and Prequelfan93 like this.
  21. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    Rogue One is the best Disney Star Wars movie because it feels the closest to Lucas Star Wars.

22. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    Definitely Jyn Erso, literally did everything she could to defeat the Empire after finding out the truth from her father in the hologram. Her speech to the rebels is probably the greatest speech in Star Wars. She was such a great leader, she turned K2-SO, Cassian and the entire rebellion to her side, and they were all willing to sacrifice everything like she was.

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Inspiring Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and Admiral Raddus was probably her greatest achievement. Without those three there wouldn't have been any point of raiding Scarif, they had favoured indirect action and building up greater support before attacking the Empire until Jyn delivered her rousing speech.

24. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    Most definitely.

After the meeting, Raddus had already returned to his ship, once Bail and Mon Mothma caught wind of that Bail played his hand showing the “royal” flush contacting a certain princess and putting into motion this.

“ into hiding we will go... until the time is right... I watch over the boy.”

Then Jyn also added.

“Saw Gerrea used to say one man with a sharpened stick and nothing to lose, can take the day. They have no idea we’re coming; if we make to the ground we’ll take the next chance, then the next, until all the chances are spent. The Death Star plans are down there, Cassian, K-2 and I will find them.

Baze, Chirrut and Pao take the men find the best position then light it up, make ten men feel like a hundred..”

Maybe the second best speech in Star Wars on the way to Scarif (although Cassian added the last part)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think her speech on the way to Scarif is rut best in Star Wars.