main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Ponder the Question" Marvel's 'What If...?' [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hah I thought the Gundam reference was an in-joke about Jordan being an anime geek but I totally didn't know about the Killmonger suit, that's great.
    Anyway, I did appreciate that at it's core, the episode was really still about Killmonger's master plan, except being executed in a different way but they really don't soften the edges or make him an anti-hero, he's still an evil dude. Just was more concerned about hiding it this time as opposed to his more blatant power-play. but I did keep expecting him to challenge the king but I think he's content with having his power solidified as the Black Panther for now.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wish they'd put some effort into the military uniforms. Either get them right, or make up something totally new and different. The ones in this episode just look like somebody caught a quick glimpse of RL uniforms and made some sketches from memory without verifying that they were getting any of the details right.

The story was OK, but annoying that it didn't resolve anything. If there's a sequel that wraps up the loose ends, I'll probably think better of this one.

3. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    I think that's kinda a general issue with the series sans episodes 2 & 4. Those are the only ones that basically tell a complete story; sure, the T'Challa/Star-Lord episode has a tease at the end, but it still feels resolved. I almost wanna say this episode seems kinda like the first two acts only. I find it interesting that 3 sort of ended with a hope spot because the episode was rather dark, whereas funny enough the also grim episode 5 seemed like it was gonna end like that but then it turns out things are even worse then we knew.

nilzo antonio and Sarge like this.
  4. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

Next episode poster!

PS:
    About the last episode i got the vibe that the internet crowd got upset about another Tony Stark death and it seems some of the "dark" ideas of this show have backfired.
    How i pointed out several pages ago this show weakness still lies in the limitations from the number of herores around the MCU. Silver Surfer and DR. Doom could inspire over a dozen What If storylines but they still not featured in the MCU.
    Without the Mutants and F4 lore, the stories are tending to get repetitive and dull ( as Stark always dying and T'Challa always saying something nice about death). Let's see if they can breath some new air this week.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Perhaps the main way we’ll know if the darker side of What If...? truly backfired is in upcoming film grosses? If Marvel Studios wanted the MCU to stay squeaky clean for the fan base, they wouldn’t be moving into darker territory.

I’m sure there will be complaints after What If..? ends and perhaps after SMNWH & DSMOM drop, but we’ll see.

I find What If...? an interesting experiment with two great episodes so far. I think it will be more interesting as new characters and scenarios are introduced to the MCU.

As far as Party Thor, we’ll see.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  6. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    The dark stuff being mixed in is also keeping with the feel of the old comic series. That series had stuff like "what if wolverine became king of the vampires?" and what if the heroes lost in dark Phoenix, Inferno, secret wars.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  9. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    I think the complain is like, " can't you kill anybody else than IM and T'Chala ?". If Fury, WS, Hulk or even Peter Quill got killed people wouldn't care this much, but Tony Stark has been murdered in half of the episodes so far ! [face_plain]

10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    That’s part of it.

Oh, you’d hear it loudly if Buck got killed, and not from this card carrying WS fan (unless it was an incredibly stupid and uncharacteristic demise. Then I’d get cranky.)

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    But like...all of the Avengers died, so...

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    This is true. :) Um, maybe I should use this emoji …[face_skull]:p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  14. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    BTW a thing that concerns me about What If ? series is the excessive spoilers you can find about each episode:

Oh, tomorrow episode toys with the idea that

Thor is a only. No Loki whatsoever. And that's on Marvel social media pages :rolleyes:

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Very much liked the newest episode. I don’t know how to put it into words though

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I don’t mind the cast, crew and Marvel spoiling some things. I do understand why that would be annoying though.

If I get a couple of good laughs from tomorrow’s episode, great. That’s what I’d like right now.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  17. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    Didn't get why Loki was so big. Isn't the whole reason he was abandoned and fits it on Asgard with a little magic is because he's a runt frost giant?

This whole series a great audition for A.C. Bradley to write pretty much any MCU movie, she can write for so many established characters and make them feel in-character. Kat Dennings is one of my least favorite actresses and that opinion managed to even continue over into animation here (but kudos once again to Bradley, Darcy still does at least basically seem like herself in this). Looking forward to seeing the multiverse Avengers assemble.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Speaking of all the grimdark What If episodes and like a month straight of beloved characters dying horribly this was some much needed dopey fun.

Mite excessive of acting Director Hill to pull the Captain Marvel card when Thor was really just throwing a planet-wide rager.

Anyway oddly funniest thing for me was just the cutting between Friga taking the bifrost ride to the close ups of Thor sweating and frantically scrubbing off "Thor Rocks"

And still there's a 10 second super dark Infinity Gauntlet Ultron Vision at the end which was a bit of a twist that nobody lives happily ever after but I guess the gag is even The Watcher was surprised by it.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Killmonger saves Stark was ok.

But I don't really care for Killmonger. Shuri is awesome and I buy it. Funny genius? Yep. Okoye as a pragmatic general with a sharp sense of humor? Yeah, I buy it. Killmonger always being able to outsmart everyone at every turn? I don't get it.

Watching Thor Only Child which is fun. I will say every episode is good for dialogue across the board.

Sarge and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I guess this was okay.
    Nice to hear Hemsworth having fun and doing something different with Thor. The party Thor was whatever...

Really liked Frost Giant Loki, along with Darcy & Howard [face_laugh] (The Vegas wedding with an Elvis officiating was great - definitely a Hangover Style moment there [face_laugh]), but overall...meh.

And WTH with Nick Fury? Kong sent him into next week or something.

That said, I’d be happy to see Frost Giant Loki and Darcy & the Duck again.

I will say this between the Loki series and Loki in What If...? I am starting to grok Loki. Hiddleston is brilliant, and I hope Marvel Studios keep him around beyond possibly DSMoM and Loki Season 2.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well this latest episode was...different.

I mean for the most part it wasn't much of a story. Thor is raised as a single child and he develops more of a party animal characteristic earlier than he had in the known universe. All of the aliens we know about join him in "invading" Earth to get well "hammered" (pun intended). It certainly wasn't a very memorable episode to say the least. I mean personally the only thing I liked about it was that Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel had a prominent role. It wasn't Brie Larson but the voice actress still did a fine job with her personality. It was also refreshing to hear Natalie reprising her role as Jane Foster. Obviously she's already been prepared for a prominent role in the GOT movie. There were some comical quotes. Certainly got a kick out of Nebula saying, "gotta go, I think I hear my father is calling."

Sarge likes this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Korg Not Kong[face_laugh]
    Typos
    Though Kong really would have crossed those movie universes :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    And now I really wanna see

The Dudebro Adventures of Thor Odinson and Loki Laufeyson

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That was a lot of fun, several LOLs and I had a stupid grin on through most of the episode. It could have used some Risky Business nods in addition to all the other teen party movie tropes. We were overdue for some fun, and this was ideal.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    about the last few seconds

Infinity Gauntlet Vision Ultron Guy could be the Big Bad for What If Avengers and he just happened to crash in on Party Thor's reality to harsh his buzz. Any chance he stole the stones from Zombie Thanos?

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.