main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Ponder the Question" Marvel's 'What If...?' [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Mar 13, 2019.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He probably heard about SHIELD setting up camp around the hammer and decided to check it out before he went and killed Banner (plus he was there for Hawkeye in any case)... basically, target of opportunity, which is largely what he said "He's exactly the type of person you'd try and recruit!"

2. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    Fury actually asks why Pym killed him and he has a line where he derisively refers to Thor as Goldilocks and says Fury would've given him his spiel and brought him on, so he was probably stalking Fury to some degree. I agree that it's still sort of weird though, given Thor may have just been some crazy guy at the time for all anyone knew.

Fixed your markup codes

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2021
  3. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    My point of view is the second episode in reality, deep inside, had nothing to do with Black Panther but instead it was all about Chadwick Boseman.
    By the end Nebula even calls "StarLord " as Cha-Cha, wich seems more a nickname for someone named Chadwick.
    And actually most of the personality traits were Boseman's than T'Challa.
    At the begining of BP T'Chala wanted just to follow the path of former Wakanda Kings and stay on the down low; he struggled a lot and the confrontation with Killmonger and later with his father in the afterworld were what turned him a better person and King. And also, later in the movie, he begins to listen Nakia.
    Ep. 2 T'Challa was a leader, an unifier from the get going with very little strugle.
    BP movie's T'Challa could not talk out neither M'Baku or Killmonger from chalenging him, so it's unlike that he could talk Thanos out of his beliefs.
    But then again the charismatic well liked by everyone person depicted in that chapter was more in line with Boseman

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'll politely disagree here. If the writers wrote the episode with Chad's personality in mind, that's wonderful.

=D=Spot on points about T'Challa in Black Panther, as you say this Star Lord version of T'Challa is not the movie BP. He took T'Chaka's grim lamentation and acted on making sure that did not happen.

Cha-Cha is T'Challa (Easier to say and a cute pet name for him. It fits this version.)

The second episode proved T'Challa's example of extraordinary goodness did help in persuading Thanos, Yondo and the Ravengers to go straight.

Chad loved this version of the character; it allowed T'Challa to be an example of goodness in a completely different way. He was even more charming, down-to-earth and likable (Which could describe Chadwick himself.)

With those kinds of qualities how could you not want to follow his example? I can see Thanos being persuaded given reason, and T'Challa gave him reasons that made sense even to the Mad Titan.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well not really, since
    by the time Hank kills him he's seen him take down over a dozen SHIELD agents, including that one big guy. He must have figured Fury would've loved recruiting someone that strong and skilled, powers or no.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. ArtemusGordon

May 30, 2015
    Eh, I don't know. He beat up a handful of agents one or two guys at a time who seem to be on the lowest echelon of SHIELD and who weren't even trying to kill him at that. Unless Pym was aware of the more supernatural ongoings it seems weird to think he's Avenger Initiative material based on that, but Pym also was totally out of his gourd here and it would've been weird from a narrative perspective to ignore Thor so it doesn't really bother me much.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_dancing][face_devil][face_dancing]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Can we just rename this the Doctor Strange Cinematic Universe now? :D

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Seconded, don’t tell Mordo. :p

10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    - It’s Strange.
    - Isn’t it, though?
    [face_laugh]

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, this is the episode I’ve been waiting for.

bstnsx704 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Holy cats, certainly not as peppy as episode 1-2

Darrrrk man. The scene when Christine kept dying over and over was heartbreaking. Ditto for the final scene, the musical cue is very moving. But yah like a lot of What If stories, it goes dark (what if can either be alternative heroes, everybody dies / character goes evil, this is definitely the latter). But it works with Stephen's overconfidence and determination characteristics.

Also in any universe nobody can get Strange's name right. But he's powerful enough to even notice the Watcher which had a great payoff in the final scene.

Anyway I'm fairly certain that was the same tentacle monster from episode 1. And Stephen ate the soul of a garden gnome.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  16. ArtemusGordon

May 30, 2015
    The whole sequence where Strange tries and fails to prevent his girlfriend's death surprisingly reminded me a lot of that very mediocre adaptation of The Time Machine from the early 2000s, which basically portrays the exact same situation (and conclusion), just not edited that tight IIRC.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Folks had issues with the Spider-Man trailer.

"OMG! How could Strange be so reckless?" Well this episode is an example that he really is quite reckless.

I love floating runes.

18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I enjoyed this one, bug improvement on last week's.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =((=D=[face_love]

Brilliant
    So sad when Christine kept dying. And he absorbed what could be Shuma Gorath?!?

Felt like a very good Twilight Zone episode...

[face_sigh]And Stephen still doesn’t listen to Wong. :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

Looking forward to watching this again later. Benedict’s perf was terrific.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That was so sad, and so dark.

I was somewhat wondering if he’d find a “light side” version to save her, that meant either giving up ever learning magic, or creating what would become the prime universe where her death isn’t the cause. But nope.

21. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Fantastic. My favorite episode of this so far.

22. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, that wasn't depressing at all.

23. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Also, regarding the tentacle monster, I'm willing to bet that this and the one seen in the first episode are Many-Angled Ones stemming from whatever the MCU's iteration of the Cancerverse winds up being. Strange Lovecraftian entities pouring from the gaps between realities/timelines, essentially. The Thanos Imperative is a really great read featuring all of this stuff.

[​IMG]

It is also worth noting that in recent years, Shuma-Goarth (an "Old One") has been retconned into a Many-Angled one himself, though much more powerful and existing above the more commonplace denizens of the Cancerverse. Really, really hoping that this all comes together and means we get to see Shuma-Gorath himself in Doctor Strang in the Multiverse of Madness.

Anyways, man, still thinking about today's episode. Definitely the best one yet (and I don't think I'm 100% speaking out of my Doctor Strange bias, though I do recognize that that may be at least part of the basis for my opinion [face_laugh]).

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So want tentacled monster to be Shuma Gorath...

Thinking about this episode and how Anakin wanted the same thing (to prevent Palme from dying), and also went dark and helped ‘destroy’ the galaxy in the process.

Stephen needs to quash that hubris something fierce.

The animation in this and the Star Lord episode were stunning.

25. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I'd say the creature seen in this episode and the first one is too small/weak to be Shuma-Gorath himself (granted, we haven't seen it in full), but making these creatures lesser eldritch entities (like the Many-Angled Ones) serving as a sort of forbearer to Shuma's inevitable arrival seems about right to me.

Kevin Feige paid visit to the set of The Suicide Squad the day that Gunn was shooting Starro's big reveal; hopefully Feige turned around right after that and returned to Marvel with the confidence to do a massive, one-eyed tentacle creature. [face_laugh]