main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Pondering Legends Moments while watching the Movies

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by SkyJade114, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyJade114

SkyJade114 Jedi Knight

Nov 4, 2016
    As Legends fans, do you ever re-watch the first six Star Wars movies and recall various EU moments that occurred before, during, or after the movies?

Darth Dnej likes this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't watch the six films of the Saga anymore, without doing exactly that, though I haven't actually watched the films in awhile. I especially can't watch RotS and RotJ without LoE, RotS novelization, and SotE coming to mind. RotJ novelization also foreshadowed a lot of things in the PT.

3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Ledgends take away the gravity behind Vaders sacrfice by having Palpatine survive.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Palpatine is basically Satan of the SW universe and even in the bible Satan after imprisonment comes back at the very end of human history to wreak havoc for a little while and that's what Palpatine does. Vader's sacrifice is a prelude to that.

PCCViking likes this.
  5. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Only that he does not he gets taken out for good by sone random order 66 survivor who was dying anyway.
    There was no sacrifce or heroism in that action.
    If they had actually kept Palpatibe around okay but they just wasted him in Dark Empire.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't that guy sacrificing his soul to "trap Palpatine in the Sith afterlife"?

7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well as far as I know he dragged Palpatine in the void were he and several other Jedi than tortured the emperor for eternity.
    But even if he sacrificed his soul, the point is that we don´t know him. The greatest SW villian of all time is deafeted by some random order 66 survivor who was introduced in that same comic.
    It took away all gravity from the event, as OU nobody cared for this survivor.

So yeah Palpatine died a pathetic death through a sacrifice that didn´t moved the readers a bit. In contrast to Vaders sacrfice.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Empire II could have handled him better - but it did put a little effort into characterizing him and his system - it's got steam-powered spacecraft.

9. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I don't hate dark Empire, it defenetly had some nice ideas. But brining Palpatine back only to have him be killed for good by a character we barely know just feels wasted to me. There was so much potential in this storyline that wasn't used.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've noticed that even people who liked the first two rarely have much good to say about Empire's End.

11. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I can't watch TPM without thinking of Cloak Of Deception and Darth Plagueis.

Also, whenever I watch TESB, Battle Of Derra IV comes to my mind.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Empatajayos Brand makes a sacrifice that in some ways goes further than Vader's he willingly drags Palpatine into chaos and endures the results as well.

That's like an angel dragging Satan into the Lake of Fire and partaking in the flame to keep him there.

And given what happens in LOTF I think there is some poignancy to Palpatine cursing the Skywalker family.

13. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Darth Invictus
    If you compare DE to the Bible it would be more of a small book set after the revelation in which Luzifer somehow returns, briefly converts Michael to his side only to be deafted by a random angel. An angel never mentioned in any other part of the bible who defeats Lucifer for good instead of Michael.

Brand's sarcife was noble, but we barely knew him, so have this no name sarifice himself feels less epic as Vaders sacrifice.
    And it cheapens Palpatines character, instead of being killed by the most powerfull force in the galaxy who was destinied to slay him, Palpatine is taken out by a character introduced in that very same series who recieves very little characterization and is rarely mentioned afterwards.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    LOE while ROTS.

15. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I remembered when Kanos took out a TIE Interceptor with a blaster in Crimson Empire while watching Chirrut do the same in Rogue One.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

+1
    Most notably at the balcony scene with Sidious and Maul. You're watching them and you can imagine Plagueis as he watches them too from his distant building, his droid 11-4D lip reading and repeating their words for Plagueis. The fact that you knew exactly what Plagueis was doing at that point in the movie, that he was seeing and hearing what you are seeing and hearing, made it feel like he actually WAS in the movie to me.

PCCViking likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Seeing Aayla Secura in AOTC and ROTS and thinking about her EU storylines.

The mention of Master Vos and his story. Boz Pity was in Obsession right? So that.

Wedge Antilles, Hobbie and Wes and all of their shenanigans later on.
    Seeing Anakin's scar and thinking of the duel against Ventress.

The Ewoks and Lt. Kettch.

C-3PO and R2 and thinking of Jan Tosh and Jessica Meade. And IG-88.

Han Solo in ANH at the Cantina and Bria Tharen and the rest of the trilogy.
    And Boba Fett. Him falling into the Sarlacc, The Sarlacc found me somewhat indigestible.

Hell, the ending of ROTJ makes me think of everything that came after that in the old EU.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    ANH:
    When I see Sariss dodge the stormtroopers rushing to stop the Falcon escaping Tatooine, I think of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jerec and Lord Cronal's EU history.
    When I see the Outrider fly over Mos Eisley I think of Shadows of the Empire.

LordDallos and Nom von Anor like this.
  19. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    Jedi Council: Acts of War is now all tangled up with Phantom Menace for me, to the latter's benefit. AoW does a good job building up to the first movie, laying groundwork both in terms of Sidious' behind the scenes antics and the characterization of the Jedi and their lives at the time and friendships with each other (such as Qui-Gon having positive interactions with Council members, which is an EU characterization I always thought was more mature than some fans' insistence that he must hate them like a bratty teenager just because they disagree in the workplace sometimes). And adds an entirely new layer of context to the whole "Nothing can kill a Jedi!" "I wish that were so" exchange.

I also like the early look at Mace in which we already see even back then he bears a lot of weight on his shoulders over things like the deaths of his fellow Jedi. He is a good man with a lot to carry, and that's the kind of characterization of him I always liked best.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  20. LuckyGungan20001

LuckyGungan20001 Jedi Knight

May 14, 2016
    I like to think that when Yoda mentions that some Jedi have become arrogant in AOTC, instead of referring to Obi-Wan and Mace, he's referring to Jorus C'Baoth, whose arrogance doomed the Outbound Flight preoject only a few years earlier.

vncredleader and PCCViking like this.
  21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    You know reading throughout the EU there are so many moments, so many scenes that would be absolutely epic on film. The NJO has dozens, LOTF, the Thrawn Trilogy, Legacy imagine Ganner's last stand, the battle of Yuuzhantar, Thrawn's last words, and Luke dueling Caedus on film.

The EU really deserved better.

LordDallos and PCCViking like this.
  22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Honestly the EU showed that SW is more than movies. These series are just too complex to be adapted as movies.
    Making them into movies would ruin them, as movies can't be that complex and at least a part of the audience would hate the books for their way different tone conpared to the OT.
    Yeah the EU deserved better but it also didn't deserved to be turned in a handfull simplified movies.

And as I said the old Eu showed that these books can be more than just provide background for the movies. They can tell their own stories.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed and the new EU will never come close to that-it's just a gap filler in between films

24. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    The Sequel Trilogy seems to be an adaptation of NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ and Luke in TLJ is similar to Kreia in KOTOR 2

25. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    The Sequel Trilogy seems to be an adaptation of NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ and Luke in TLJ is similar to Kreia in KOTOR 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.