main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Popular characters that you never cared for.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by -MUSTAFAR-, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supreme-Yoda216

Supreme-Yoda216 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2009
    I never cared for Chewbacca, his howling is highly annoying. I sometimes get a headache because of that.
    He seriously ruins the movies.

And Jar Jar Binks, he is just silly and I don't find him funny.

SupremeYoda216

2. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    How can you hate on Chewbacca?

Dude, Stephen J. Cannell based the character of BA Baraccus (Mr. T) on CHEWIE.

To me, that should show you something positive ...

3. Supreme-Yoda216

Dec 21, 2009
    BA? That is positive indeed.

But the sound of BA's voice doesn't sound as annoying as Chewbacca's howling.
    One other positive thing about Chewbacca is his loyalty to Han Solo.

But still, the howling is not good.

SupremeYoda216

4. Supreme-Yoda216

Dec 21, 2009
    I have seen Kit Fisto, and he comes across as a relaxed and cool dude a bit swell, or fly, if you know what I mean, I kinda like him for that.

SupremeYoda216

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I think the smile is almost entirely the reason Fisto became something of a fan-favorite.

AotC is so mopey and downbeat. Yoda, Windu, Obi-Wan, Anakin - every one of these guys walks around like he hates his job, or at best sees it as a burden. It is just plain refreshing to see a Jedi who actually seems to ENJOY being a Jedi.

I think this is also the reason why RotS was so much better received - it starts off with Anakin saying this is where the fun begins, smiling as he pilots through the battle. And even right up to the brink of Order 66 Obi-Wan seems to be having FUN as he confronts Grievous.

6. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    Most would not categorize his "yelps" and yak calls as "howling". They were short in duration and had distinct meaning such as Han "I'm frustrated" or Ewok "let's do this ****!"

Tarzan howl was a spot on copy, and melodic in fact.

BA's loyalty to Hannibal and the team - as Stephen Cannell as asserted - was based on his intrigue on Chewie's life debt.
    And the A-Team episode where Mr. T's mother resigns herself to BA's fate with Col. Hannibal Smith - is uncanny in its' similarity to Chewie's family (SW Christmas Special) accepting that his fate is best rolling with Capt. Han Solo and getting into crazy adventures in the YT-1300.

7. DarkFather13

DarkFather13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    First off do not think Jar Jar was popular....

All the characters seem to have a purpose....but I really did not care for Grand Moff Tarkin, he seemed to really do nothing except hold Vader in check from killing most of the officers....when one looks at it, Tarkin is to the OT what Maul was to the PT, two characters killed off too early, both could have been expanded upon.....

Really do not like Kit Fisto, what a punk, him Aegen Kolar, Coleman Trebor, all get punked quickly and easily....

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They may have been meant to have distinct meaning in-universe, but to the audience it all pretty much sounds the same.

9. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    Does this mean non-Star Wars fans?

Anyways Chewbacca's communication was way based more on context and "the audience" got it.

Artoo's needed Luke or 3-PO to follow up with a statement, or preface a question/concern - than we all understood what Artoo meant.

Chewie usually had Solo to help us, "Alright big fella", etc. to clarify what the growl meant.

But even when Chewie speaks to the Ewok after commandeering the AT-ST, it is clear that Chewbacca means "We're in business now, little guy".

The Ewok (who has never seen or heard a Wookie before) - nods his head affirmatively.

So the fact that he sounds the same is quite irrelevant.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, it means everyone. I'm not talking about the context, but the noise itself.

In-universe, but OOU it's relevant to the opinion of the poster who felt the sound grew annoying.

11. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    Yes. I suppose if the voice irks someone enough, they probably cannot pinpoint or single out a growl in particular -- as they do all sound extremely similar. (sans Tarzan)

12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I never cared for Yoda. I think that his so-called "wisdom" is overrated.

13. Supreme-Yoda216

Dec 21, 2009
    hmmm, my wisdom overrated, you think. ;)

14. Master_Starsun

Master_Starsun Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2010
    How could you not like Yoda? Chewie is cooler in the EU books than the movies. The character that I don't like is Lando Calrissian. He doesn't fit in with everyone else.

15. Supreme-Yoda216

Dec 21, 2009
    Very well said.

On the positive, a few of the Characters I like:
    -Yoda (ok, that's obvious)
    -Ahsoka Tano
    -Darth Vader
    -Senator Palpatine
    -R2D2

I dislike
    -Chewbacca
    -JarJar Binks

16. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I have never really cared for Grievous. I enjoy his backstory but as for being on screen he is the most worthless entity to walk the Star Wars galaxy. I say this only because you see the CW and you read the EU material and there is no way this guy could suck and in ROTS he did. The four lightsabers was a joke. At least with Jar Jar you got what you saw.

17. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    [face_not_talking] To not liking Yoda and Chewbacca.

I take back everything that I posted a few pages ago.

18. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    first of all i can't name jar jar because he isn't a popular character, he is the most hated
    character to appear in cinema. secondly i love chewie and the ewoks. i like kit fisto and darth maul. i don't like anikin from tpm or aotc, i never really cared for obi-wan, not saying i didn't like him i just didn't like him as much as most people like him. for most people he's their favorite character.

19. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    Grand Moff Tarkin and all the other Imperial officers.

20. juliant

juliant Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2010
    Jar-Jar role was just to provide comic relief.

21. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    Grievous is horrible. I stare at him, horrified, and think, "Well, Count Dooku wasn't that great, either, but Christopher Lee could have done much better things with this movie than yet another CGI monstrosity that did the other performers no favors."

I was indifferent to Boba Fett until they wasted time in Episode II with his backstory. Combined with that horrible dialogue laughingly referred to as a love story (guess genocide really turned Padme on), Episode II would have been a complete loss if I hadn't actually received a dime for everytime I said, "Shut UP, Anakin!" I really did.

Anakin Skywalker is the definition of an overrated character. Maybe old Ben was still suffering some extreme guilt over the sequence of events that led to Luke being placed on Tatooine, but I saw NOTHING of the wonderful student and friend that he was fanboying all over the place in Episode IV. Yes, the younger Anakin was so sweet he made my heart ache in Episode I (along with a few very subtle glimpses of trouble ahead), but Episode II Anakin was a lost cause from minute one. In fact, I now hate the end of Episode VI because I can't stand Episodes II/III Anakin and the idea that this petulant, whiny monster who cut down little children who could barely defend themselves got redeemed because he did something twenty years too late infuriates me.

In fact, the entire Anakin story throughout the prequels is very much in-tune with "blame everyone except the person that made the choices they made" mentality that's been stinking up the world lately.

I hated the podrace, the Anakin/Padme sequence on Geonosis, the first five minutes of Episode III, and the Mustafar climax because they were ALL at least five minutes too long.

PUT DOWN THE CGI BUTTON, GEORGE!

22. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Boba Fett- I actually laugh when he falls in the sarlaac pit in ROTJ. I like Jango though

Count Dooku- I yawn everytime he comes onscreen. He is so boring. For a bad guy and a sith at that, he really had nothing going for me

Mace Windu- Love Samuel L. Jackson but the character annoyed me. He didnt solidify any of those "wonderful" Jedi traits that you would think a Jedi Master on the Council would have. I thought he was rude and too full of himself. Course it just proves the Jedi had become corrupt so maybe its a good thing

23. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I never understood why people like Boba anyway. He never did anything, just aim his gun and shoot maybe 1 or 2 times in the entire OT, and dies in the most comical way.

24. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Fett had a cool costume, cool voice, and an aura of mystery around him. That's why fans fell in love with him.

Why anyone likes him now, though, is far beyond me.

25. JediStarburst

JediStarburst Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2010
    I can't stand Anakin. I just hate characters that are shoved down my throat. I don't care if he is the chosen one or the main character of the saga. I didn't become a fan of Star Wars because of him. It was becuse of Luke, Han and Leia. This is my First Post :)by the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.