main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Portrait of a Lady ~ A Padmé Short Story - Completed 5/29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gina, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slow_dawn

slow_dawn Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    Loved the updates. I really enjoy your writing. It always seems so real and beautiful. This fic is just another reason why you're one of my favourite authors on the boards!

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    VaderLVR64

Thanks, K! [face_blush]

randomangel22

Yes, it's often something we look back on with both fondness but also a bit of laughter. :p Glad you enjoyed the update.

divapilot

Thank you very much! :D

JediMasterRev

Hi there! Yeah, I thought it was time to give Palo a break by making him the good guy for a change. :p

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it! [:D]

KELIA

I think she meant so much to him (in this fic) because she helped give him the courage to pursue the life he wanted. And he's grateful to her for that.

Glad you're enjoying the story! @};-

slow_dawn

Wow! Thank you! [face_blush] I'm flattered by your kind words.

Here's the next update.

[b]Part 4: Partings[/b]

I always wondered if it had been her first kiss...

I suspected that it was, but I dared not ask. Perhaps it was out of respect for her privacy. Or perhaps, and I suspect this is closer to the truth if I am honest with myself, it was because I didn't want to know the answer. There is an odd sort of satisfaction in believing that I had been her first kiss, the man with whom she had chosen to share this rite of passage. And it is an illusion I wasn't anxious to have shattered.

Women may call that insufferable male pride, and perhaps they are correct. But even the most arrogant male can suffer from being a sentimental old fool from time to time. And I like to believe that, just as the friendship we had shared was special, the kiss we shared that night had been something special to her, as well.

That night, we promised to keep in touch, to visit, to talk to each other as much as possible. Yet despite our vow, I think that somewhere deep inside, we both knew our time together was drawing to a close.

Yet with every ending, there comes a new beginning.

We kept our promise for awhile, faithfully exchanged holos and correspondence. But as typically happens with young love, these exchanges lessened in frequency over time, and we soon drifted apart as beings often do. My last flimsi to her contained only a brief message, but it was a message I was eager to send. Even after all these years, I still remember the words.

[i]My Dearest Padmé,

Thanks to you, I found the courage to face my father. I am going to be an artist.[/i]

Her response was a simple one, yet it touched my heart in a way that I will never forget. For it came from the heart of that young girl I remember from our first meeting at the walls of a fountain.

[i]My Dearest Palo,

You have [b]always[/b] been an artist. It has always been inside you. And now, you will show it to the galaxy.[/i]

I followed her career in politics with great interest, as did every other resident of this bountiful planet. She contributed much to our world, and her leadership endeared her to our people. Her success in the political realm did not surprise me, however. Her heart was pure, her spirit a shining star against a sea of black space, and I had always known that she would have a far-reaching impact in this galaxy.

I just never imagined that star would fade so quickly, so unexpectedly.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely gorgeous! [face_love]

My Dearest Padmé,

Thanks to you, I found the courage to face my father. I am going to be an artist.

Her response was a simple one, yet it touched my heart in a way that I will never forget. For it came from the heart of that young girl I remember from our first meeting at the walls of a fountain.

My Dearest Palo,

You have always been an artist. It has always been inside you. And now, you will show it to the galaxy.

That was stunning, my friend. =D=

4. randomangel22

randomangel22 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2006
    That's the problem with young, distant love...it fades over time. :(

Well, at least Palo got the courage to face his father and become what he wanted to become. =D=

Great post and thanks for the PM!

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Her heart was pure, her spirit a shining star against a sea of black space...

Beautiful image, that.

Nice update. Wistful, yet warm in the memories. She had that effect on people; to make them become what they never realized they could be -- or that they already were.

=D=

6. nabooqueen2008

nabooqueen2008 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2008
    Beautiful!

Palo's feelings....beautiful!

~nabooqueen~

7. slow_dawn

Apr 18, 2006
    Nice update. I enjoyed the slight melancholy of this entry. It must be a tough thing to revisit all of those memories knowing that Padme is gone.

8. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    VaderLVR64

Thank you! [:D]

randomangel22

Yes, it does. And long-distance in itself isn't easy, whether you're young or older.

Thanks for reading! @};-

divapilot

She always struck me as the type of person who was caring, who wanted to help others reach their potential and their goals.

Glad you're enjoying the story! :)

nabooqueen2008

Thank you very much! :D

slow_dawn

It isn't easy for him. :_|

Thanks for reading! :)

Here's the final chapter! Thanks again for reading, everyone. @};-

[b]Part 5: New Beginnings[/b]

The casket glides along the waterfront, her still form peaceful and beautiful, as if untouched by time and death. My breath catches in my throat and tears begin to fall from my eyes as I see the rounded mound of her belly. Many of our world whisper of scandal, desiring to taint her memory. But I see only my Padmé, my friend. She was to be a mother. How proud she must have been.

So much hope, such joy?and now it would never be.

Her body approaches its final resting place, and the Holonews broadcast fades to black, only to begin again a few moments later. Her funeral rites have been broadcasting continuously since yesterday's ceremony. Unable to witness anymore, I press a button and the holoscreen is deactivated. I couldn't bring myself to attend the ceremony. I didn't want to remember her this way, in death. To me, she will always be alive, the sun shining behind her as she smiles shyly down at me. She will always be the young woman I drew in her portrait.

Walking across my studio to the wall of windows, I place a piece of blank parchment on my easel and gather my materials. My hand rests poised over the parchment as I first allow my memories to draw the picture.

[i]"It's beautiful. Are you an artist?"[/i]

I smile to myself as I begin, my hand steady and sure as I sketch a faint outline. In my mind's eye, I see her as clearly as I did that fateful day, the sun glinting in her hair, and her eyes alive with wonder and possibilities.

[i]"No, I'm not an artist," I answer softly.

"Well, you could be," she says.[/i]

Each brushstroke both pains and heals?

I am oblivious to the passing of time and am surprised to find that the sun is setting when I put down my brush at last. The portrait is different somehow from the one I gave her all those years ago. The first was created by a clumsy boy, unsure and raw in his craft. This one was created by a more practiced hand that has been tempered by time and experience. But both were created from love and friendship. I gaze at her portrait, and begin to whisper the traditional Nubian funeral chant as I say goodbye to my queen, my leader. But I offer a silent prayer to the gods to guide her spirit safely home as I say goodbye to my [i]friend[/i].

I feel an arm come to rest upon my shoulder, and I inhale her familiar, comforting scent. It is one of wildflowers after a rainstorm. "She truly was beautiful," Arianna whispers.

Turning to my beloved, I take the tiny bundle from her arms and hold our baby daughter closely. Only ten days' old, she is so new, so tiny. I cannot help but think of Padmé's unborn child, knowing that somewhere there is a father mourning for both his love and his child. It is a grief I cannot begin to fathom, and I send a silent prayer to the gods for this man, as well.

I turn to my Arianna, and I see the fear and worry in her eyes as she looks at our daughter. These are dark days for our planet. And if the murmurings are to be believed, even darker times lay ahead for our entire galaxy.

My daughter coos softly, her dark eyes staring up at me with such wonder and innocence, and I am reminded that with death comes rebirth, new life.

I kiss my wife tenderly on the forehead and whisper reassurances against her skin. For I know we will survive ? our people, our planet.

Even now, amidst the countless deaths that have shattered the core of our very Republic, perhaps somewhere, a ch

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Even now, amidst the countless deaths that have shattered the core of our very Republic, perhaps somewhere, a child has been born who will one day lead our galaxy with the benevolence of our late queen. Or a child with a warrior's heart and a wise man's spirit, a child who will help our Republic rise from the ashes.

"There is hope, my love," I tell her with a smile. And I believe these words.

For with every ending, there comes a new beginning.

Powerful and poignant, you never fail to move me with your writing. :_| =D=

10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    So beautiful! What a wonderful tribute. I love this story. (sniff) @};-

11. nabooqueen2008

nabooqueen2008 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2008
    *sniff and sigh* That was so beautiful! So moving....thank you for that! Palo is so often portrayed as a bad guy, but in this one....so sweet! Beautiful...could you let me know if you ever happen to write anything else. I'd love to read it. Thanks!

~nabooqueen~

12. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Beautiful story! =D=

13. randomangel22

randomangel22 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2006
    Yes, Palo believe that there is hope because one day the Empire will fall. [face_mischief]

Even though in the movies they don't really elaborate on Padme's relationship with Palo, one would think they were quite close at one point in time and after they parted it would've been difficult for Palo to forget the girl who believed in him when no one else did.

Excellent job on a such a heartbreaking yet bittersweet story! =D=

14. slow_dawn

Apr 18, 2006
    I cannot help but think of Padmé's unborn child, knowing that somewhere there is a father mourning for both his love and his child. It is a grief I cannot begin to fathom, and I send a silent prayer to the gods for this man, as well. [/i

Oooh, great stuff!

I really enjoyed this little story. It was such a sad look into the past!

=D=

15. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Loved it! (Read it in one go, too!)

I love the idea of the Palo/Padme paring. Also the whole sence of a backstory ingrained in the events of canon is really fun to read. Well writen, on top of it all.

=D=

16. steelneena

steelneena Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2007
    That was sweet... I hope they named the baby Padme':(

17. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Thanks, everyone, for reading. I hope you enjoyed the story. :)

I'd also like to express my thanks to those who nominated this fic in the Saga Awards. I'm grateful that you thought it deserved your nomination.
    [face_blush]

VaderLVR64

And I can say the same about YOUR writing! :D

divapilot

Thank you very much! [face_blush] I'm glad you liked the story.

nabooqueen2008

I'm guilty of writing Palo as a villain in a few of my fics. [face_whistling] I thought it was time to write him as the good guy for a change, LOL! As for my other fics, I have a few I'm working on. The links are in my bio. Thanks again for reading! :D

Golden_Jedi

Thank you! [face_blush]

randomangel22

It's funny how Palo is such a minor character, barely mentioned in the films, yet so many of us fanfic writers use him in our stories. LOL! I agree that they probably were close at some point and probably kept up with each other's lives/accomplishments to some extent. Your first love always hold a sentimental spot in your heart.

Glad you enjoyed the story! @};-

slow_dawn

Thank you! :) When I first wrote this story a year or so ago, it was just a vignette about Palo hearing of Padmé's death and painting a portrait of her in remembrance. But then I realized it was their history, their back story, that needed to be told. LOL!

Thanks for reading! :D

Alley_Skywalker

Wow! Thank you. I'm glad you liked the fic. :D

skypadme94

You know, I never even thought about that. LOL! I should have had them name the baby Padmé. ;) Thanks so much for reading!

18. Lisbev

Lisbev Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2008
    I?m normally not a Palo fan, guess because most stories have him causing trouble for Anakin and Padmé, BUT this was definitely an exception.

Even now, amidst the countless deaths that have shattered the core of our very Republic, perhaps somewhere, a child has been born who will one day lead our galaxy with the benevolence of our late queen. Or a child with a warrior's heart and a wise man's spirit, a child who will help our Republic rise from the ashes. :_| :_|

@};-WOWsers!!! AMAAAZZING!!!! @};-
    How ironic that the 3 traits Palo mentioned happened to be perfectly infused into one person. Luke really does embody Padme?s benevolence, Anakin?s warrior heart and Obi-Wan?s wise spirit.:_| :_|

19. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    I wanted to thank everyone who voted for this story in the Saga Awards this summer. I'm honored to know you enjoyed the fic. @};-

~Gina

Lisbev

I?m normally not a Palo fan, guess because most stories have him causing trouble for Anakin and Padmé, BUT this was definitely an exception.

LOL! Yes, and my fics with Palo are some of the ones with Palo causing trouble for them. :p That's why I decided to write a fic where he wasn't the bad guy.

How ironic that the 3 traits Palo mentioned happened to be perfectly infused into one person. Luke really does embody Padme?s benevolence, Anakin?s warrior heart and Obi-Wan?s wise spirit.

His words were definitely meant to be a reference to the twins. ;)

Thanks for reading the story. I'm glad to know you enjoyed it. :D

20. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Lovely story Gina! =D= ...Very moving!...The fan-fics I've read that had Palo in, he is always causing some kind of trouble. It was refreshing to see him a different side of him...great job!!!=D=

21. barriss31

barriss31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    =D= =D= Lovely!

22. EverydayAngel

EverydayAngel Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2006
    I really loved this story. It was so beautiful and touching. The way he remembered her and touched his life is so heartwarming. I especially love the end when he draws her portrait, says a prayer and thinks of the Republic rising from the ashes. @};-

And we so often see Palo as the villain that it is refreshing and inspiring to see him as a good person and a good friend. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.