main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Possible Empire Strikes Back trailer question

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by nothinglikethesun9, Jan 21, 2019.

1. nothinglikethesun9

nothinglikethesun9 Jedi Master

May 29, 2009
    I have in my head a memory of a trailer / tv commercial for The Empire Strikes Back that used the music which plays when Luke is getting hit by equipment and then falls out the broken window on Bespin? It may be just in my head, but I have a memory of that music playing while the camera zooms in on Luke holding his lightsaber. Thank-you.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I know the ROTS teaser trailer used that music, but I don't know of a TESB trailer that did. Might've been a TV commercial; I'll have to check.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just know the main trailer for ESB has a less than enthused Harrison Ford narrating it.

nothinglikethesun9 likes this.
  4. nothinglikethesun9

nothinglikethesun9 Jedi Master

May 29, 2009
    Thank-you

5. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Well, one of them had his, as I understand it, purposely cheesy narration. Personally, I prefer this teaser trailer (reportedly from 1979):

And this one, even though they didn't add in the 'saber effects:

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Here's the ROTS teaser I mentioned:

I've watched a bunch of the TESB TV spots, but didn't find one that matches what you're looking for. I might've missed it, though.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  7. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Look closely at the end of that trailer and you can see the blue Star Wars logo go from hollow letters to solid letters just before it explodes. I suspect they re-did the trailer logo at one point but didn't bother re-compositing the glimpse of it in the explosion graphic.

The ESB shooting script had the crawl appear over the plains of Hoth rather than deep space. I wonder if the blue logo is a holdover from the title/crawl text color planned for that intro.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    It's possible, I suppose. I liked the use of Vivaldi for the music.

9. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    There would have almost certainly been SOME change to the crawl design for a Hoth opening. B&W storyboards suggest using black text, so a dark blue wouldn't be too far off. Though red might also have been a suitable choice.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read somewhere that GL originally intended to score SW with classical music. That's something I'd like to see as an alternate track on DVD/BR. Ever wonder what music they'd use? I'm thinking Holst's Mars for the Empire/Vader theme, and the final movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony would work for the medal ceremony.

Kenneth Morgan and BlackRanger like this.
  11. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Something interesting that might be related to the ESB trailer logo discussion: Disney's Star Wars Kids YouTube channel has begun posting a series of shorts called "Star Wars: Roll Out", where the main characters are all shaped like BB-8.

The title logo is a version of the familiar Star Wars yellow logo on a black starfield... but with solid letters instead of hollow ones, like in the split-second shot from that ESB trailer that I pointed out half a year ago.

whostheBossk likes this.