main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Possible High Republic animated series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Konrad Pietrzak, Dec 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    There has just been a rumor from a fairly reliable source (as far as I know) that a new animated series from the Star Wars universe is to be created, to take place during the High Republic period, i.e. about 200 years before the films. It will be one of the three series from this universe, the second is the previously announced Bad Batch, the third is not known yet, most likely a sequel to Rebels.

https://www.cinelinx.com/movie-news/tv/new-star-wars-animated-series-will-go-to-the-past-exclusive/

Lulu Mars likes this.
  2. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    Sounds like fun, hope this turns out to be accurate

black_saber likes this.
  3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I definitely like the idea of an animated series set in the past. I always imagined that, if we got an Old Republic series of films (presumably what the GOT guys were working on), we would have gotten an accompanying animated series set in that era. This isn't quite that, of course, but I'm always down for more Star Wars animation and this era does seem pretty interesting.

4. Crod1992

Crod1992 Jedi Padawan

May 27, 2020
    I Prefer an old republic animated series to be honest

Lord Sith Harloxzz and wobbits like this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    They could have been lying but I believe they were up front about the High Republic being exclusively a literary series. Otherwise I think they would have included that in the big reveal of the era last year.

Riv_Shiel and Crod1992 like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    They might also have changed their minds. It wouldn't be the first time. Or the second. Or the third.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Jordan Maison is pretty reliable. If you recall he’s the one who scooped the return of Ewan McGregor right before he was announced at Celebration. So I buy this rumor. I hope it pans out because it’ll be great to get a show set in a totally new era.

8. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    I think it would be great if they did this.

The funny thing about this entire High Republic project is that I want to be interested in it, but I'm just not. And it's because it's novels and comics only, and I don't really care for Star Wars comics and novels. Saying that, I am leaning towards checking out the audiobook for the John Jackson Miller High Republic novel. Maybe the Marvel comic too, but I don't know, we'll see.

Naturally, if they had said from the start that there would be an animated, or heaven forbid, a live-action component to the project, then I would have been onboard with everything that they're doing.

Interesting, the Disney+ Investor Day on December 10th would be a perfect place to announce this. And that would guarantee that I would get onboard with the John Jackson Miller novel and everything else.

Let's see what happens...

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm in the same position. I no longer trust any of the books to stand as canon so I've rather lost all interest in committing time to them. But I really do want to be interested in these specific characters so I'm all in on a TV series.

Master Cado Afu and El_Machete12 like this.
  10. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    My guess is they’re using the books to gauge interest in the concept before committing resources to any sort of film project. I’d be surprised if they were actually firm about this being purely a literature endeavor

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Or the last

Lulu Mars likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Just think about a series set in a totally different era with totally different enemies and Jedi aplenty. The possibilities are endless.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ... and Baby younger Yoda!

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    NO! There is only truth or lies. People can’t change their minds.
    Yeah. If something Star Wars isn’t first a movie, TV show or video game (like KOTOR), it’s hard to get fans invested. So if they want High Republic to stick, they gotta give us one of those three things.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  15. Crod1992

Crod1992 Jedi Padawan

May 27, 2020
    I just find it so weird that they’re doing a high Republic cartoon first I understand they want to market this era But there’s been so much demand for the old republic for so long now I just Find it odd

16. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, it was odd.

High Republic, publishing only. Or, Old Republic, movies, TV, publishing, video games.

Is this hard?

EDIT: Oh, and it's Charles Soule. Why was I thinking John Jackson Miller? I guess that shows how much I was paying attention to it. :cool:

Anyway, I can see this Loden Greatstorm animated...

[​IMG]

And if they do go ahead with an animated series, I imagine they'll do something different than the Rebels style. Hopefully still CG animated though because I prefer that over traditional 2D. And go more "realistic" this time to match the concept art. I think that would be great.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  17. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    This sounds really fun, but won't a focus on new Jedi somehow make Luke and Anakin less important?

Seriously though, please give me all the Jedi goodness in the world before I die of a plague or something.

18. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    What does your heart tell you?

And last image I'll post, but I guess why it's so easy to see this animated is because, duh...

[​IMG]

That's what the concept art looks like.

So CG or traditonal is fine, I guess. Just do it.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  19. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    These should be the new film series - Fresh characters, fresh timeline, fresh ideas!

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would prefer the Old Republic, but the High Republic is always a great choice.

Im looking forward to see a Disney series that allow the Jedi to exist in large numbers unlike their other tv series and films.

Instead of jumping right into the Great Disaster event like the upcoming books/comics are doing, we could see more of the Pre-Great Disaster world. Eventually another perspective can be given of that event.

The High Republic era began around 300BBY

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/High_Republic_Era

The Great Disaster happened on 232BBY. So there is 68 years of this era before the Great Disaster.

Maybe go back to the Dawn of the High Republic. What was the prior era like? What led to this golden age of the Republic, to become a reality?

I would prefer a prequel series to the books/comics over one that begins at the same time or afterwards.

21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I would love for an animated High Republic show to look exactly like this. Not entirely traditional though, but really slick, artful 2D animation with the smoothness of CGI and that gorgeous, hand-drawn look =P~

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    What a missed opportunity to say that "they may have just altered the deal, and the might alter it further" :p

Bor Mullet and Lulu Mars like this.
  23. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hope it’s 2D animated. And that the folks from Galaxy of Adventures get the job.

25. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    The High Republic content seems fun, but I think they've gone a little far with the 'high fantasy' aesthetic in some of the artwork. Taking inspiration from medieval aesthetic is a great idea, but could we go back to a real medieval-inspired aesthetic instead of this super generic and overdesigned 'high fantasy' look that has become the norm in modern fantasy media?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.