main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Possible Story Arc for FanFilm

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by DarthCrovus, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthCrovus

DarthCrovus Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2005
    Ok before I actually talk about the story. I must say, I have to thank everyone for sending me their scripts. It's helping me alot with getting a story going. Thanks alot guys! And keep the script coming in! =)

Alright, let me emphasize, this is NOT the confirmed story arc. But it's a idea I got from reading everyone's scripts. I basically am taking bits from here and there and playing with ideas in my head. Please do tell me what you feel about it, honest opinons please, if it sucks, say it sucks.

Ok, here it is at final last. This is in point form. Details will be filled in when the story's been confirmed.

1. Start with Jedis (a few of them) vs. Sith Lord lightsaber battle.
    2.Sith Lord dispatches the Jedis, killing all of them. But he tireds of the killing.
    3. Sith Lord goes into exile, and starts a life like any other human. Choosing to mediate rather than fight.
    4. Jedi are relentless in their persuit of Sith, under the "the Sith are evil and must be destoryed" theory
    5. Time and time again, Sith Lord escapes when confronted by Jedis.
    6. Jedis finally push the Sith Lord till he has no other alternative but to fight. (Haven't figured out why the Sith Lord has no way out)
    7. Sith Lord goes on the aggressive and kills off all the Jedi (on that planet)
    8. After the killing spree, he looks back and regrets his actions. "why!? Why did they have to drive me to that dark place?!" Walks off into the sunset.
    9. He stops in mid-stride, to find a young padawan barely alive. He asked him "Is this what you Jedis call justice? Look at what you drive me to do!"
    10. He gives young padawan a choice, "come with me and live, or stay with the Jedi and die"
    11. Young padawan choose to live,"I will do anything you ask"
    12. Sith Lord picks up young padawan and walks off.
    13. Jedi reenforcements arrive to discover the massacre, unable to make out the identities of the dead due to the 'messiness'. They declare all that was deployed on this mission dead.
    14. Jedi Master sadden by the death of promising young padawan Palpatine

Please take note that the Sith Lord in this story is not your typical Sith Lord. In this story, what I'm doing is sort of like blurring the lines between good and evil. Sort of playing with Anakin's lines of "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

Also the Palpatine link, obviously the Sith Lord in question is Lord Plageus. However, I'm still thinking about linking the characters to the the movies. Lots of copyright issue there. Might not want to use the exact names but hint at the connection.

Tell me what you guys think. I'll be coming up with more story arc for you guys to choose I guess. =)

2. siaosaber

siaosaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    feel free to debate .

1) beside jedi fights, any other things to see.
    2) jedi persecute sith ??
    3) a sith Lord want to turn good. after all the trouble of being a sith??
    4) beside the main actor (sith lord) any other sub characters , that is worth building
    5) a possible better story twist ?
    6) almost every scene has the sith lord

i am a bit particular of fan film just evolve around jedi and sith only. seem too many of them . unless its pretty well done . its not worth the time and work

3. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    Ok quick answers before i hit the sack.

this is just the main basic story arc. there are other stuff going on besides Jedi vs. Sith. This will be fleshed out when the story arc is confirmed. No point writing a full script only to decide later on that, nah, main story is not strong enough. Like I said, it's just the main thread that ties the story together, the little details will be worked on when arc is confirmed.

Jedi persecute Sith>> yes, "you became the very thing you have sworn to destroy" how far will the Jedis go to destroy the Sith. Would it mean that they follow that order to the letter? Even when the Sith is no longer doing anything to cause harm to people? Where is the line drawn? Those are the questions I want to ask. Very human story behind this also. Your whole is the law of the land absolute? Or is there room for thought and interpretation.

Sith becoming good...>> He doesn't actually becomes good. He just grow weary of all the killing. The Siths become Sith mostly becoz they were promised power. When you actually get what you wish for, you don't want it anymore. What happens when a Sith is so strong noone can stop him? Does he carry on killing even though there is no challenge anymore? He wants more, but he also realise that killing is not the answer, at least not anymore. Is there more power to be had? Or is this it. Hence he goes into exile and mediate, trying "unnatural arts"
    Also, let's not forget the ultimate Sith becoming good example, Anakin Skywalker.

as to the supporting characters query, of coz there are! same answer as the first.

as to the twist, er, you got any ideas? Like I mentioned I'm only exploring this line of thought. Haven't yet worked everything out, that's why want you guys to comment and help me along. We shall discover the story together. =) (Do I even have a twist?)

Every scene having a Sith Lord, not exactly true. Right off the top of my head, we've got the Jedi scenes that doesn't invlove him. And also Paly will be built up as he becomes an important player towards the end. Hence those scenes don't need the Sith Lord. But in any case, he's our main charac. as such, it is his story, so yeah lots of scenes with him in it. It's only natural, look at Epi 3, find me a scene without either Anakin or Obi-Wan in it. There are, but not many.

hmMMm not that quick reply after all.

Oh and one more thing, what exactly do you mean by well done? Elaborate so I know what you're shooting for. And the fact that it revolves ard Jedi and Sith, honestly, if it don't, why bother doing a SW fanfilm? I have to consider that this is purely volunteer work. And I'm sure those who are commiting their time to this wants to be Jedis and Sith. There where the fun comes in. And I know there are story out there that don't invlove either party, but, seriously SW won't be SW if it were not for the Jedis and Sith. It'll just be another souped up sci-fi movie. Besides, story wise it would be difficult to capture the SW feel to it, if you take out the Jedis and Sith. Jedis are too powerful for just ordinary folks to go up against. Unless you actually have a memoriable evil character like Boba Fett, it's hard to see how the Jedis won't win. Look at Yoda and Obi-Wan, they took out a whole platoon of clones like it was snacking candy. I say we keep it simple story wise. Keep the Jedi vs. Sith concept going. How you reinvent a tried and tested method or template is where your skills of creatively really shine. The fact that we are using an anti-hero as our main charc gives it a fresh twist to it. Much like your story with the reluntant Jedi (in fact there's partly where I got it from, just kinna twist it around).

Saying all that, thanks for your comments. They have helped me explore this story further, making it better. Will continue to work at it.

4. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    OH! and one more thing, I must stress that these is not all the story revloves around. This are the main HIGHLIGHTS to the storyline. There are alot of other things going on too.

It's like, hmmm ok let me explain with an example. Easier
    1. Anakin slave boy
    2. Discover by Jedi
    3. Becomes strong Jedi hero
    4. Seduced and turns to the Dark Side
    5. Becomes Darth Vader and helps build an Empire
    6. Years later, discovers his own son is the hero of the Rebels
    7. Plans to turn son to Dark Side, if fail plans to kill son.
    8. In last desperate moment, decided to turn away from Dark Side to save his son, and in the process save his own soul.

sounds very simple, but that's kinna the basic story arc . And as we all know, it's 6 movies that came out of it. 16++ hours if you join all of them up. =)

Hope you guys can have a better picture now how much can be filled into sometime that on first viewing seem so simple.

And this is but ONE of the ideas i'm playing with. heh.

5. siaosaber

Apr 29, 2003
    ok , first off the story doesnt need to end in this film.

and yes SW is about jedi and sith but forgive me , i am more a OT guy. where is the smuggler, romance and villainy?

Jedi persecute Sith>> try not to confuse the timeline . jedi know not of sith for a 1000 years.

Sith becoming good>> anakin is not sith by training . sith are train to conquer the galaxy. i have yet to read a sith make a conscious effort to turn to the light side. try something like darth raven case,

one last thing, try adding stuff like droids , monster, thief, space pirates, spaceship , locations . dont worry if i cant do it but just pen it down first .

i dont know how serious you are about getting into the film making industry. but many have tried but fail, i would suggest doing something that can be good enough to be in the papers . a couple of jedi fights wont make the head lines .

you think i am good ? my industry dont think i can even make it. if you like jedi and sith , ok , but add in other supporting characters to beautify them.

having said all these , come on people !! give this man some ideas!!!

6. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm also not enthusiastic about doing a pure Sith Vs Jedi plot. Story-wise it'd be so thin and the characters would be too homogeneous. It's true that Star Wars is about the Jedi, Sith, the force, but it's also about a lot of other things.

Having said that, I also apologise for my lateness of the script. But I'm moving towards a character driven story, with some action of course, so that it's not completely boring. Lightsaber action is good, but we shouldn't revolve on it so much - so many fanfilms are already about that.

:)

7. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
  8. siaosaber

Apr 29, 2003
    i dont think i ever did mention anything about getting famous. i dont see the logic of doing this whole thing and sweep all these under the carpet. i dont know much about copyrights ,but if revelation is in the papers for a so-so film , why not us.

isnt this going to be part of your portfolio? is either make people take notice of this film or be prepare to sent your portfolio to every studio in singapore. i am sure you know whats the situation of the filmmaking industry in singapore now.

let me just say that i will be supportive to this film even if it doesnt look good in my portfolio. remember , i am not here to bash your ideas, i am here to help you...

as of now i am free anytime.

have fun if its a hobby, excel if its a passion

9. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    gee, sounds good it does. but careful we must be in executing this task. a disaster it will turn if reckless are we.

10. Mercurio

Mercurio Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    You know what would be interesting (But I'm sure you've already thought of this, so this post is kinda rudundant) Is if you could keep young Palpy's name a secret until the last moment of the film.

(Hopefully NOT like Kill Bill, where they 'bleep' her name. Kinda irritating lol)

11. Maayla_Mecura

Maayla_Mecura Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    hehe, juz a suggestion, maybe could have the young palpatine to be known as sidious, someone maybe darth plagueis thought would be a worthy successor since sidious almost killed him and was beter than the other jedi masters he duelled with etc........

when sidious turns to the dark side he changes his name to palpatine......(den again you guys might hav thought of this already and find it unsuitable...)

12. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    agrees with Maayla_Mecura and the part about smugglers and such. we need a han solo/dash rendar kinda person. hell i wouldnt mind ditching the jedi robe and become the sw char i truly am, LANDO CALRISSIAN AHAHAHAHHAA
    man, that'll rock.

13. hobbes00

hobbes00 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    i must say.. I like the idea very much.. the 1st post.. go ahead with it.
    I think what some people are saying that the story shld not be only base on siths and jedis.

Whats important acutally is that the siths and jedis plays AROUND the story. If the story is to focus the "dontwanakilljedi sith" then it has to be well focus. of cos smuggers.. love.. history will be brought up but i think what corvus was talkin abt is the main plot thats going to happen in the movie.
    Not forgetting extras and jokers (Example Jar jar binks)
    These extra stuff are secondary :) i like da story :p go ahead wif it my friend

CheErS

14. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    Hey Guys,

Sorry, I know I've been MIA for a while. Been busy, plus needed time on my own.

Anyways, on with the show, I'm currently re-thinking the story arc. You guys have given me much food for thought. Thanks.

SiaoSaber>> Hey no worries man! Believe me when I say this, I don't take it personally. =) It's just...I guess it's the same with every artist. When they created something, they stand by it and are rather protective about it. I'm guessing if anyone here can understand that, it'll be you.

Let me just assure all of you that every comment has been taken into due consideration. Like I said I'm currently re-working the idea around. I actually agree (after a whole day of thought =p) with the scum/ villiany comment. Am looking for a way to work that into the story right now.

Apologies that it will still be (in it's core) a Sith/ Jedi story. Please believe me when I say I have my reasons for doing this. I'll explain it to you guys when i see you in person.

Also, I'll like to propose a meeting on the 14th of June(evening) for Story Development. You guys can make it? It's tentative, I have to confirm my own schedule first also. But just like to set a date for it first. Do let me know.

15. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Cool ideas. :D

However, I think siaosaber pointed out a very important problem - the Jedi thought for a thousand years that the Sith were extinct. Unless Palpy is more than a thousand years old, and I don't think he is, it's going to clash with the timeline.

Only twenty have ever left the Jedi Order. Dooku was one of them and a lot was made out of the fact that he was one of the Lost Twenty. Yet nothing at all (to my knowledge) has been said about Palpy ever being a Jedi, and the ROTS Visual Dictionary clears up any speculation that he might be Sifo-Dyas. Even if the rest of the Jedi thought Palpy dead, and Palpy changed his name, surely they'd notice something if a Senator who later becomes the Supreme Chancellor resembles a missing Jedi.

I like the idea of an anti-hero, a killing-weary Sith as our main character. The current tentative plotline, with Palpy as a Padawan turned dark, is interesting but I think timeline restrictions will make it difficult to be believable. If we want to have Jedi-Sith conflicts, we're going to have to shift the story's place in time, or bend some facts.

However, I can't see a Sith being very regretful of his killing actions - thinking that the loss of life is a waste of potential, resources, whatever, yes, but not a powerful Sith Lord/Lady regret killing simply because life is precious and all that. Although that's quite a stereotypical view of a Sith, Sith have mostly if not always been presented in this way, and I think it'd be more believable if we approach the reluctance to kill from a more Sithly angle than regret.

I suggest that we have the same basic ideas, but take out Palpy. Instead, our Sith main character lives during the time where there were more than two Sith, but Sith turned against Sith (eventually wiping themselves out and leading to the only-two-there-are system), and our main character is tired of all the killing, betrayal and infighting, maybe even angry at or scornful of them because they all lead to a lessening of power, not increase. He gets away from the mess, only to be found by the Jedi. Since he doesn't want to kill more than he has to, perhaps he offers the Jedi a deal? If they leave him alone, he'll leave them alone. It all ends in him being killed by the Jedi, but the audience is led to question whether the Jedi did the right thing, because although he was a Sith and so automatically classified as 'evil', he didn't want to kill.

Not sure if this can work though because I know very little about the Sith Wars or of the Jedi of that time.

Another idea: use one of the Lost Twenty as our main character, maybe as a dark Jedi and not a Sith, so we don't have to worry too much about the Sith being 'extinct' for a millennium.

Just some food for thought. :)

16. siaosaber

Apr 29, 2003
    i have guessed that you would have stick to jedi/sith [face_plain]

dont worry about it , in the end i will still agree with you , for obvious reason. Thats why i have been thinking about how to make this jedi/sith thing look more interesting.

agree about palpy thing, very difficult to build a logical story around him.

how about telling this story from a third person perspective? that way we can add in more characters.

17. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    At the moment, 14 Jun is still OK for me, provided it's after working hours... earliest I can leave the office is 6pm.

My schedule tends to fill up real fast during the weekdays though, and usually at the last minute... so for the moment, I'm still OK for 14 Jun evening.

Would love to join in the discussion, if I can :)

18. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    i'm free too, tentatively that is, unless i happen to get some kinda temp job or get enlisted by then.

19. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    wow Clare, thanks for the really good response. Do join our discussion session if you can. Need someone who has an extensive (more than average) knowlege on the history. Really good food for thought. And yes, I'm looking into the extinct Sith/ Palpy link too. Trying to work an angle for it, without bending facts or SW history. And yes, one of the ideas I have is to scrap the Palpy link and put it like 1000 years before TPM. Work in progress.

JediJean> Yeah it'll be after office hours, I get off work at 630pm. =) Do join if you can. Really hope to see you there. =)

SiaoSaber> =)

The rest of you, anyone can make it? Esp. JazzyJazz and wgman?

20. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Yup it should be fine for me if it's after office-hours. Because I may need to go back to camp to settle some stuff.

:)

21. GED_EYE_GUY

GED_EYE_GUY Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    Planning on joining you guys too.

22. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    Cool! So it's set than June 14th say 7? Erm, Pacific Coffe @ One Raffles Link sound good? Trying to find somewhere central. Any they have free wireless internet there, so those with lappie can go online to research stuff if need to.

23. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    I miss the apple passion fruit drink from Pacific Coffee, so I'm on !

24. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Pacific Coffee has free wireless access? Alright! I'm there!

But where is One Raffles Link? :confused:

25. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    Above CityLink, the exit before the exit to Suntec.
    Directly opp. Marina

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.