main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" : The West Wing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 28, 2014.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That last scene, though, in Sam’s old office, when Jed gives Charlie his pocket constitution. Not quite the Revere knife, but powerful.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, that was great! And even though I'd selfishly like to keep them together it was good that Charlie moved on and got more governmental experience. It just made me sad. :(:p

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    A ridiculous number of full series rewatches, and still seeing new things. From 04-07: "Election Night"

[​IMG]

A photo of young (presumably Representative) Jed Bartlet debating Strom Thurmond and Ted Kennedy, in the Communications bullpen.

Yodaminch, mavjade , dp4m and 2 others like this.
  4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I've got my own Toby ball in the office now, and my colleagues are ready to offer me as a human sacrifice to Umbasa.

[​IMG]

mavjade likes this.
  5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    You're going to cause some suicides with that thing...

heels1785 likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

mavjade and heels1785 like this.
  7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Dule Hill posted this on Instagram. Always love seeing the cast hang out together

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Was listening to NPR this morning and listening to people rally - still, in the age of Trump - about being forced to vote for the lesser of two evils and not wanting to "just accept" a candidate. And this quote came to mind.

Chuck Webb is a seven-term Congressman who, as chairman of not one but two Commerce sub-committees, has taken money from companies he regulates. He's on the board of the NRA and once challenged another Congressman to a fistfight on the floor, over an amendment to make stalkers submit to background checks before buying AR-15s, AK-57s, Street Sweepers, Mac-10s, Mac-11s. He's joined protests designed to frighten pregnant women.

What's your point?

There are worse things in the world than no longer being alive. Yes?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What kills me is the revisionism. People who now suggest that conversations about how "Supreme Court seats aren't enough of a reason!" or "They're just as bad!" didn't happen.

As if we're not getting enough daily gaslighting from our government...

mavjade and DarthIntegral like this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm not even counting how many rewatches I've gone through this year, at this point. But I hit this episode today, and it's got a smaller scene that is one of the most memorable for me. Primarily because Josh gets schooled (and it's shown more effectively than when he forces the guy from Top Gun to switch parties), and also the matter-of-factness from the late, but really great Ron Silver.

Sorry for the potato quality. Josh is strutting, as he thinks he's strongarmed some money loose to fight the tobacco companies. Reaching back to season 2, one of the deputy AGs met with him in the immediate aftermath of Josh being told of Jed's MS, to inform him of how underfunded they were, and referred to the tobacco companies "perpitrating a fraud." This clearly had an impact on Josh's psyche (he told Leo as much), and clearly caused him to be overly aggressive in going for what he thought was a win. This is the kind of nuance that Sorkin laces through that the later seasons simply did not have.

Bruno brings him back to earth - Josh later melts down in front of Donna on the campaign and refers to this mistake, and Jed uncharacteristically reams him out in the Oval over a few things at a later date, and includes this.

The dynamic between these two brilliant political minds is only comparable to some of Josh and Toby's interactions.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm still aghast that heels referred to Tom Skerrit as "that guy from Top Gun" which, while technically correct, really indicates just how little cinema he's actually watched...

... which may explain his like of Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman which I'm now forced to watch...

I'm assuming Michael Ironsides is also "that guy from Top Gun" as well now...

heels1785 and DarthIntegral like this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    He is indeed. Association with Top Gun always takes top billing, no matter what else you've done! :p

And oddly enough that you mention it, my simultaneous Smallville series rewatch just featured Mr. Ironsides (WHAT A NAME, btw) as Gen. Sam Lane in a 10th season episode. He's in an earlier season as well, but in a more limited role.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He'll always be "that guy from Highlander 2" to me, based on heels-world.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I gotta go with heels, basically anyone who was in Top Gun, that is their first "that guy from.." except for Tom Cruise who is that guy from Days of Thunder.

As much as I don't really like the tobacco storyline and how it plays out, I agree that there was a lot of nuisance in all of it, and a lot of layering that we really don't see later on. And yes, the interactions between Josh and Bruno were always great, even when they were on opposite sides in later seasons I really enjoyed them. Mostly I think it comes down to two excellent actors who played off each other very well.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I rewatched The Supremes the other day. While it is a great episode it was really hard to get through it with the context of today's politics hanging over it. The worst part was a comment by Josh saying if they didn't handle things well the Republicans would hold open a Supreme Court seat for three years and they wouldn't get to fill it with anyone. Massive "McConnell aiyiyi" moment that forced me to pause the episode for a couple of minutes just to process it. It also occurred to me that if the deal they worked out had happened in real life the Republicans would renege right after Ashland announced his retirement and things would be even worse off. As it is I kind of think the deal wasn't great. As awesome as Lang is, I feel like having a Shelton on the court and still having Ashland for a little while would be better than also appointing a new arch-conservative Justice along with her. The idea is that "great debates foster great outcomes" or whatever but in the end it makes me feel like nobody won.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

do it for mrs L

and millions of others

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The best show about Thanksgiving that’s ever been made.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, dp.

Yodaminch and dp4m like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ya know, I was going to do a full rewatch of the series this November/December, but I think I'll put that off into 2019's autumn.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    why not do five full rewatches between now and 2019's autumn, IATI?

DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Would anyone be interested in seeing this come back? I was listening to Sorkin talk about it the other day and he didn't dismiss the idea. But who would be President? My pick... Bryan Cranston. I haven't decided whether he's a Democrat and or a Republic yet. It'd be interesting to have a different dynamic if they brought the show back though. The anti-Bartlet. :p

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    President Sam, CoS Josh -- just like the show predicted. :p

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I want President Cregg myself. Josh can still be COS though. And we'll just pretend Toby's storyline never happened so he can be in it too.

25. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    If we were going to have a revival/continuation for the modern era I'd rather it be the same flavor of story, dialogues, and character driven episodes, but with a largely new group of people... twelve years have passed; people will be doing other things, and it's a new political environment. Not saying don't bring old characters back- I see a lot of room for making people like Will and Donna regulars- but let the focus be on a group of younger people. Because even if the boomers are fighting tooth and nail to cling to power in real life, at least we can let younger people be more prominent in the West Wing verse!

Point Given likes this.