main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" : The West Wing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 28, 2014.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I've made it into season 5 - Sorkin's absence if definitely felt this season....Sam's too. Thus far I'd rank the seasons: 2,3,1,4 I think.

heels1785 likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There are two (?) unquestionably good episodes this season, but then they **** the bed at the end of this season and the beginning of next season. But then from mid-S6 onwards -- with one episodic exception and one plotline exception -- it basically hits its stride and is almost as good as its ever been. It's when a certain guest star shows up in mid-S6... you'll know 'em when you see 'em...

heels1785 likes this.
  3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I like that I think I know which guest star you're talking about, but honestly it could apply to two different people.

dp4m likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    To me, Season Five starts so incredibly strong, and then just wilts. I love the opening arc with Zoey missing and John Goodman as the acting President.

Yodaminch likes this.
  5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    John Goodman was fantastic. I was only upset his tenure was so short. I love Jeb of course, but there was a real opportunity to explore what happens in a situation like this had it dragged on longer. Especially with all the "Leo will know what to do" answers people were giving whenever a hypothetical was brought up.

dp: We are talking about the first appearance in "In the Room" right?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes. Yes we are.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just under two months (September 1st) until I do my complete watchthrough. I'm super excited. Yeah, I associate this show with the fall season and holidays. I don't know why.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Because you love the Butterball hotline

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yes, I Iiked the first couple with Goodman and then it's not been as strong, writing is just not as good....I did like the whole Josh and the President walking to hill thing during the shutdown, even if it was a bit silly.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's one of the two good episodes... :p

11. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Except it's not.

Because it is so dumb. That plan should not have worked. Just... fine. Fine, I guess. Crisis averted. Move on I guess.

12. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I've arrived at season seven. I know John Spencer died while the final season was still filming, not sure I'm ready for that :(

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    solojones and heels1785 like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If you're doing this on Netflix, don't skip the beginning of "Running Mates"

14. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I was not :(

I did, always watched the recaps for some reason.

And I'm done. I really enjoyed the final season, glad the series went out strong! As far as the series as a whole; season 2 was the high for me and season 5 was the low. I'm glad I finally got around to watching this, it's as good as I was told it was, and I'll probably watch it all again some day.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

but leo's not really dead. because now that you're done, you go immediately back to the pilot, and jed is president again. and then you keep watching it, over and over, until @MrZAP stages an intervention.

awesome that you got to experience it, cubby. thanks for letting us relive it!

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Glad you finished it, Cubby, as sad as John Spencer's death is. It did, however, result in them changing it so Santos won. Which I like. I especially love Josh as CoS and Donna as FLOTUS's CoS.

Welcome to the family Cubby!

Yodaminch and cubman987 like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Welcome Cubby, may you forever not be a Mandy...

cubman987 and solojones like this.
  18. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, alright buddy, I'm ordering a break to watch Community or something.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i'm on breaking bad atm. it was part of the deal to get cubby to watch tww.

is community any good? i liked the office, but never watched much parks & rec or any community - my perception is that they all occupy the same sort of dry humor space.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm watching Community right now. It's similar in tone to The Office and Parks and Rec but it's not a mockumentary like the other two. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. However, it and The Americans have taken away from my TWW rewatch time. :(

21. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    The first three seasons are some of the best television I've ever seen, yes. It's really not dry humor at all. It's generally quite clever and referential, building on strong characters and playing with established tropes. It can get pretty wacky sometimes.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Community is wacky referential nerd humor, not really dry humor.

Parks and Rec is amazing and must be watched. But so must Community. So.

heels1785 , Darth_Duck and MrZAP like this.
  23. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    YES

heels1785 and MrZAP like this.
  24. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    As much as I was hoping Santos would win.....an Arnold Vinick presidency in real life doesn't sound half bad right about now.

Mar17swgirl and heels1785 like this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Right? I keep wanting my parents to watch The West Wing because, even though they're conservatives, there are good conservatives like Ainsley and Vinnick whom I'm convinced they'd love. Because they're not the Trumpian type that they hate.