main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" : The West Wing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 28, 2014.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    See, I'm convinced that Santos had a terrible presidency and was a one-term president, left as a slight footnote in history. Racist America rose up against him, Josh was overwhelmed as Chief of Staff, and his naivety bit him in the ass. That version of the United States probably ended up with President Don Butler replacing Santos after four years of obstruction from Congress against Santos agenda.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    What is wrong with you?

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I get asked that a lot ...

cubman987 likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He's an Indians fan.

cubman987 likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i am also a fan of the indians in the lobby.

i watched the weird anthrax episode last night, it'd be near the bottom of any ranking for me. it and "access" are wedged in between the great episodes "the supremes" and "talking points" (union workers won't leave josh's office one), which makes for an annoyance.

dp4m likes this.
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    You're supposed to be watching Breaking Bad!

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    after the whooshing blood and guts in the bathtub episode, i needed a night off.

8. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Was reading through the thread and found the brackets, filled mine out but made a necessary adjustment:

[​IMG]

MrZAP and dp4m like this.
  9. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Vinick and Kate need to be on it as well, though I don't know who I would swap them with. Maybe Bruno > Kate and Lou > Vinick?

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    wicked pissah storms in marblehead, mass yesterday. made the national news - 60 mph gusts, hail, etc.

[​IMG]

she's marion cotesworth haye.

dp4m and DarthIntegral like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    @heels1785 -- for that post, do you know what I award you?

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    another power connection between the heels goats, ww and mad men.

evan arnold is the hapless santos staffer ned (fired by josh) and also leonard, who don consoles and cries with in the famous mad men finale scene.

14. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    It's kind of funny how much Vinick was derived from McCain (and Santos from Obama) and how much, OTOH, McCain changed his image post-2000 and especially in '08 to basically being pro-Religious Right (while also trying to not get so close that he would seem like outright one of them).

Definitely a pretty big fantasy, or at least dated, that if a Republican nominee was pro-choice that would get a lot of voters to support him. More recently socially liberal Republicans have been widely, strongly rejected.

I only watched in full the first season, parts of the rest, but also interesting that Bartlett was said to be a liberal deficit hawk and that the whole show, or at least season 1, seemed grounded on there being a lot of prosperity that people assumed would be perpetual.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... was Vinick modeled on McCain? I never saw that at all...

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Vinnick is a mixture of Barry Goldwater and John McCain, probably 80% Goldwater (though most of the audience watching would likely associate his attributes to McCain, due to recency/understanding/knowledge of McCain).

17. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    ... I'll be honest. I got this too. It was too good to pass up.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    wrapping up another series rewatch, nearing the end of s7.

leo's died 30+ times for me, but it never gets easier to watch margaret trying to hold it together when watching the news announce his death in cj's office.

you go back to that early episode when leo's divorce papers are coming in, and margaret is fretting - telling any and everyone to watch him, worried that his sobriety will lapse. she stays in the office with him until the wee hours of the night, and only gets ready to leave when he assures her that he's going home, and is okay. margaret just says "okay," and leo smiles and says "you're a good girl." that's the exchange that immediately comes to mind, more than all of their hilarious and wonderful scenes.

cubman987 , MrZAP and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Erm, Santos was more an eerie precusor of Obama than anything. The show ended before Obama was even running for President, IIRC. It just happened that John Wells understood what kind of Democrat would inspire people.

As for Vinnick, I definitely think he was partly modeled on McCain, yeah.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    santos was modeled on obama, at least partially - writers have confirmed it.

obama wasn't "obama" yet, though. he'd just given his speech at the dnc in 04 and was coming on the scene - jimmy smits first appeared as the character in 05, I believe.

MrZAP likes this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah so they were just weirdly prescient about Obama's potential. Interesting.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    it's wild. the part (referenced in the article) about huckabee/mccain being the two significant republican candidates in 08 almost exactly mirroring don butler/arnie vinick in 06 is too.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    For the life of me I still don't understand why they didn't use the real life election years. I know it's a small thing and I'm nitpicking but it still annoys me. Sorry. :p

Anyway, I just watched Bartlet kick Robert Ritchie's ass in the... [face_sigh]...2002 Presidential Election. :p

24. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I think the working theory is that after Nixon resigned Ford decided to call for another election, and the 1974 election was decided to elect to a full term instead of finishing the current one, changing the election cycle permanently.

heels1785 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I guess I can roll with that. :p

heels1785 likes this.