main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" : The West Wing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 28, 2014.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So just re-watched the episode itself and yeah, Martin Sheen is pretty much exactly the same. Alison did do a few subtle things differently in the play - including how she stood at the podium.

I was wrong. Admiral Fitz, while referenced, was never in the episode.

The major things I noticed were the staging and angles used in the play. Bartlet gets in the car on the left in the play but the right in the show. Josh’s desk is of course facing the door not to the side of it and Sam’s sitting differently as well based on the way we see his office.

John Sepncer really is impossible to replace. His delivery of some lines was just subtle yet powerful. Sterling K Brown did an amazing job with his own interpretation of Leo. That said, I do consider them almost two different characters.

Also, interesting addition of the goldfish at the end. That was not in the episode (don’t think Danny had given it to her yet?)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 JCC Manager star 9 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    he gave the goldfish to her back in season 1, i think?

i loved sk brown's performance - the one scene i found awkward was the one with josh ("just trying to get a little pizza in an uncivilized world"). the banter/relationship between leo and all characters was unique, but the interactions with josh cannot be replicated. that's nobody's fault, it's just the natural chemistry/real-life mentor-like relationship whitford has referenced time and again that he had with john spencer. it was well-acted, of course, but it didn't feel like josh and leo.

Yodaminch likes this.
  3. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah, you are probably right- I thought the goldfish was early but guess she didn’t keep him on the desk.

One thing I also noticed- they cut a piece of dialogue between Josh and Donna right after the Leo pizza section I think. And you are right, the relationship between Leo and Josh was something special and it’s just not the same.

I love Sterling, but someone suggested Sam Waterson should have been asked. I definitely think that would have worked well as well. And I think Sam might have been better able to do some of the more intimate scenes with Josh and Jeb- especially given his current work with Martin.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    abbey bartlett is not short of fans in this thread, i know. just watched probably my favorite scene of hers - right after jed gives his celebration speech on the night of his re-election, abbey not-so-subtly lets him know that she's aware that he's having a mild MS attack. wonderful delivery of dialogue, talking about the days ahead: "there are going to be more days like this. it's going to be harder this time."

jed mentions they can "still have tonight," and then CJ calls him up for a curtain call. can really tell, just by her facial expressions, in the whole sequence how torn abbey is by her love for her husband and wanting to share in his moment, and her crippling fear of the years ahead. she so much as said it in an earlier episode, when she shouts at him, "do you have any idea how good a doctor i am, and i can't tell you?!" (referring to whether or not jed will be able to make it through four more years in the job without entering secondary-progresssive MS).

stockard channing really showing off her incredible acting chops.

5. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Her rapport with Martin Sheen was just amazing. I mean many actors look like they are studying at the feet of a master next to him. But John Spencer and Stockard Channing could believably make you feel like they could put the President of the United States in his place. The fact that Abby was always able to bring Jeb back down to Earth is exactly what made her such an awesome character.

"Game on, boyfriend"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    MrZAP and heels1785 like this.
  6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    yes. and that cackle when she cuts his tie in half, love that too.

they have an unbelievable chemistry, I agree. and they'd never met until her first episode in the series, much less worked together.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  7. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Oh, and also on the level of people who could put Jeb in his place:

[​IMG]

Mrs. Landingham was so awesome. Still one of the most shocking moments in a series for me and also one of the best exits from a series. And bringing in Lilly to replace her was equally as well done:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MrZAP and heels1785 like this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

happy election eve, all. hopefully it's a happy election day.

Yodaminch likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    actor-related post, but richard schiff tweeted out that he's been taken off of oxygen, and is in recovery. both he and his wife tested positive for covid last week, although her case was not as severe.

10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 4

May 27, 1999
    Sort-of related: last night, after the "Mads are Back" Zoom riffing of "The Brain from Planet Arous", there was a Q&A with Trace, Frank, and guest Dana Gould. One of the questions they addressed was, "Which movie or TV show had the worst depiction of a show's writers room?" They all responded, "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip".

MrZAP, DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

lol. i believe the toby line from season 1 is "sam, look at yourself. how much healthier do you wanna be?"

also, schiff is covid-free and clearly back to himself.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral Baseball Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2005
  13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Force Ghost star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    "I am a citizen." O:)

Yodaminch likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Also a Narc star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The dog (Admiral Ackbark) was almost named Phil Baharnd or Joe Bethersonton...

MrZAP, Mar17swgirl and Yodaminch like this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    just something that popped up tonight on netflix - leaving the platform on christmas eve, imagine that means it will debut on hbo max on christmas day.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My brother just informed me that my reluctant Republican parents started The West Wing last night.

They are now three episodes in.

This is not a drill!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021 at 9:32 AM
  17. Coruscant

Coruscant Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I had a dream last night that Bartlett came back for a third term and I was a staffer. CJ Cregg was there, too. No Josh or Toby, though. I said to Bartlett, “It’s kind of quiet, isn’t it? There’s no Josh or Toby,” with Bartlett and I saying that last sentence at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021 at 12:06 PM
    mavjade and solojones like this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    LMAO that's when you know you're in deep

Yodaminch and Coruscant like this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My parents are now like halfway through the first season and loving it apparently. My brother just texted to say my dad leaned over and whispered "I don't think the Trump administration ran like this".

20. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Wait til they get to Vinick. [face_whistling]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    solojones likes this.
  21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2001
    Oooh...so glad to see that this has its own thread!

I wanted to drop in and say that I have started my first run-through of this series a few weeks ago while I was at home in quarantine. It was always on my radar as one of those shows I wanted to watch, but I just never got around to it. I'm glad I finally gave it a chance – it drew me in so quickly! I just started Season 5 this afternoon, and I'm loving every minute of it!

Now, I've heard the warnings about the quality taking a hit by the middle of Season 5 and into 6, so I'm already preparing myself for that, but honestly, I don't think it will impact things too much. It's been an amazing journey so far! I'm hooked! ;)

solojones, Coruscant and cubman987 like this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I personally love the show all the way until the end.