main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post length

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sebulba2179, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    As it looks like a lot of these fanfics exceed 10,000-20,000 words (the one I have in mind exceeds 50,000), is there a limit on words or characters in a single post?

2. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I'm not sure, but I've seen some VERY long posts.

If you're planning on posting a story, you probably don't want to make any single post too long. It starts getting hard to read after about 6 or so pages from MS Word. And besides, you'll want give folks a chance to respond with comments. ;)

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    As far as I know, there is no maximum post length. I suppose I could try putting everything I've ever written into one post and seeing if it comes out. That would come out to be over 1000 pages in Microsoft Word. But I don?t think it?s worth it; it would take too darned long to upload the files.

I think that 4-10 pages is probably the best length for a post. Post no less than a scene, no longer than a chapter.

4. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    I tend to have trouble posting anything over 30KB (plain text), but that could just be my internet connection rather than a limit on the boards.

5. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    Gandolf has it down. :) The problem doesn't really come down to how much you can post, but more like how much you're readers will have the patience to read in a sitting. I cringe when I see a huge long post on a fic (especially if it's the first one). No one has the time to sit down and read an entire book, but a few pages a day or so isn't as bad.

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I usually write my posts that are 6 - 9 pages (in Word, Times New Roman, size 12). I prefer this length over, say, 2 or 3 pages, but I can live with that. (of course, paragraph-long posts can irritate me :p ) I've also seen super-long posts (one 16 pages and one 23 pages! :eek: ;) ), but they were rare, and more an exception than rule. I'd say that post length around 7 pages (plus or minus 3 pages) is what I consider normal size. :)

7. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I prefer long posts, as opposed to short posts. Of course, I've never had the brain power nor the time to post a long one.

8. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Hmmm. Hmmmmmm. I think I can manage that...but let's just hope you guys don't mind reading my excruciatingly detailed pod races. :D

9. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I always just poat a scene, which for me tend to be between three and ten pages. I had one post that a was only half a page in MS Word, but was necessary to the plot at that point. If a fic has really long posts, I am always less inclined to read it, simply because I rarely have that long to spend reading one fic at once.

10. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I am guilty of posting a lot at a time. Mainly because that is what I like to see, and it takes me so long in between posts to write that I figure I owe it to my readers. (There's also the fact that it';s hard to find a good cut off point ;))

11. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I tend to dislike long, long posts, unless they're good ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.