main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Submit your favorites HERE

Post length

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sebulba2179, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    As it looks like a lot of these fanfics exceed 10,000-20,000 words (the one I have in mind exceeds 50,000), is there a limit on words or characters in a single post?

2. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I'm not sure, but I've seen some VERY long posts.

If you're planning on posting a story, you probably don't want to make any single post too long. It starts getting hard to read after about 6 or so pages from MS Word. And besides, you'll want give folks a chance to respond with comments. ;)

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    As far as I know, there is no maximum post length. I suppose I could try putting everything I've ever written into one post and seeing if it comes out. That would come out to be over 1000 pages in Microsoft Word. But I don?t think it?s worth it; it would take too darned long to upload the files.

I think that 4-10 pages is probably the best length for a post. Post no less than a scene, no longer than a chapter.

4. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    I tend to have trouble posting anything over 30KB (plain text), but that could just be my internet connection rather than a limit on the boards.

5. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    Gandolf has it down. :) The problem doesn't really come down to how much you can post, but more like how much you're readers will have the patience to read in a sitting. I cringe when I see a huge long post on a fic (especially if it's the first one). No one has the time to sit down and read an entire book, but a few pages a day or so isn't as bad.

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Force Ghost star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I usually write my posts that are 6 - 9 pages (in Word, Times New Roman, size 12). I prefer this length over, say, 2 or 3 pages, but I can live with that. (of course, paragraph-long posts can irritate me :p ) I've also seen super-long posts (one 16 pages and one 23 pages! :eek: ;) ), but they were rare, and more an exception than rule. I'd say that post length around 7 pages (plus or minus 3 pages) is what I consider normal size. :)

7. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I prefer long posts, as opposed to short posts. Of course, I've never had the brain power nor the time to post a long one.

8. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Hmmm. Hmmmmmm. I think I can manage that...but let's just hope you guys don't mind reading my excruciatingly detailed pod races. :D

9. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I always just poat a scene, which for me tend to be between three and ten pages. I had one post that a was only half a page in MS Word, but was necessary to the plot at that point. If a fic has really long posts, I am always less inclined to read it, simply because I rarely have that long to spend reading one fic at once.

10. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I am guilty of posting a lot at a time. Mainly because that is what I like to see, and it takes me so long in between posts to write that I figure I owe it to my readers. (There's also the fact that it';s hard to find a good cut off point ;))

11. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I tend to dislike long, long posts, unless they're good ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.