main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post-release Spoiler Rules and Forum Changes

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, May 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, we're still at a point where there is a lot of AOTC discussion going on. So much that it could drown out any TPM discussion, if they were merged.

I think things are fine now. Maybe before epIII comes out, we could merge them, but not for awhile.

2. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I agree with Mara that the TPM crowd would probably be drowned out if the two forums are merged. Anyway, they aren't causing any problems for us at present, and there is still a rather large AOTC gathering, so I don't see much advantage in combining both forums.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The way the AOTC forum is right now (snooze), I can't see TPM forum questions getting burried anytime soon.

4. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    This again? :p

Ok, we can discuss this again if everybody wants to but I still really see no reason to merge the two forums. Keep in mind once again that there is no way to truely merge the forums. One of them would have to be nuked. I don't see any advantage of doing it.

5. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Well, renaming the AOTC forum as The Prequel Trilogy forum, could be a start. Leave TPM forum as it is (if possible, disallow JCers to post in it, similar to the annoucement forum), and allow people to drift from it to the newly renamed forum.

The traffic in the AOTC forum as it is, seems underwelming (to me), so I can't believe right now that new questions about TPM would be lost.

Or am I talkiing crap? :D

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    So can anyone tell me if Darth Sidious and Palpatine are clones?

7. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Yes, they can.

Keep the forums seperate. It can't be that much of a hassle to have two different forums for the two movies.

8. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I say that the two forums should be kept seperate for a little while longer. The way I see it, as soon as the AOTC DVD hits shelves, there will be another surge of members posting a variety of new Clones topics. The TPM threads would surely be burried.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    instant poster, gust add wind!

9. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    You really should keep the forums seperate, at least until maybe around a year or so after Attack of the Clones comes out, which will be around this May. ( Maybe a few months later, maybe a few months shorter, maybe until Episode III comes out :p )

10. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I say keep them separate all the way until Episode III has been out for a good while. No need to rush it.

11. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    `until Episode III has been out for a good while'

I'll say your not rushing it. :p

12. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    The TPM forum is really slow these days; and the AOTC forum is full of bad topics. Merging them can't hurt, but it doesn't really matter either way.

The one thing that should be done is pushing the Episode 3 forums on top and pushing AOTC down near the TPM forum.

13. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Ok, we can discuss this again if everybody wants to but I still really see no reason to merge the two forums. Keep in mind once again that there is no way to truely merge the forums. One of them would have to be nuked. I don't see any advantage of doing it.

We wouldn't have to nuke them... move one to the "Inactive Forums" category and make it read only.

As for merging them as of right now, I don't think it's a good idea at the time, especially with the DVD coming out soon. Maybe around Jan-Feb at the earliest, unless the DVD doesn't bring in as much traffic as projected.

14. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    G-S is right. The two forums should remain seperate until at least Ep. 3 comes out, assuming that the DVD brings the projected amount of traffic, which I think it will. Car also has a good point, that if we decide to combine them, the one that is closed should be moved to "inactive" forums" so people can refer back to them.

15. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I concur with G-S' sentiment that the TPM and AOTC be kept seperate for the forseeable future, perhaps until January or February as suggested by RidingMyCaroselOnYou. By combining the topics right now, it would create more problems than it would solve. The upcoming release of the AOTC DVD on November 12th will create a massive push onto the AOTC board to discuss the opinions of the DVD. If the TPM and AOTC forums were to be combined, it would undoubtly create confusion as to where people are to post.

EDIT: I believe that the best time to combine the AOTC and TPM forums is June of 2003, when the filming and first major spoilers to come from Episode III will start. At this time, the Episode III Non-Spoilers and Spoilers forum should be moved into the top parts of the Star Wars Films board.

16. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Keep in mind once again that there is no way to truely merge the forums. One of them would have to be nuked. I don't see any advantage of doing it.

That's a good point, P B. While I can see RMCOY's point in shifting one of the forums to the inactive forums category, I don't think that's what most of the people want. I think that the forums should not be merged, at least not until we get the capability to move threads between forums. (zerosleep, and only him, knows when that will come.)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Grilled-Sarlacc

Jul 19, 2001
    As long as we salvage the "Yarael Poof is STILL My Dad" thread, we're cool.

18. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Valiowk: It was just a suggestion :)
    Actually, I'm sure the two databases could be merged together, but I won't even get involved with the technical aspect ;)

But if a merge were to happen, I think that we should either made the two boards read-only and start over with one board or make the Attack of the Clones board the main one, since it's got the arguments from AotC and TPM in it. Then again, that could be argued. ;)

19. Grilled-Sarlacc

Jul 19, 2001
    Or wait until the PT is over and then merge them all.

20. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    That could work, too. ;)
    Unless the AotC and TPM boards dwindle with activity, then I could understand a merger. :)

21. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I just saw this thread, adn this was the first I had heard about this idea.... I really don't think it would be a good idea to merge them.

The reason the OT works so well with all the movies together is because the main characters are constant, the same actors portay the same characters (for the most part) and the plot lines flow right together. And all three of the movies take place within 5 years.

I think that TPM and AOTC should have their own forums, as long as it doesn't create andy problems, Because they two mopvies are SO different. 10 years apart... many different main characters, completely different settings...

I post in both of these Forums, as well as the OT. I think if they were combined that everyt thread would have to have either TPM or AOTC in, such as "In AOTC, does Obi-wan..." etc... because they two movies are so different.

Just thought I'd express my opion, but as always, whatever gets decided I'll still post at the JC :)

22. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    I'll up this, for the not particularly good reason, that the DVD threads seem (to me) to have slowed somewhat.

I'll then up it again after January. And after that...

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think there's also the problem that AotC and TPM have a somewhat different fan base. There will be people who will want to post about AotC but won't want to go into a TPM forum because it will be too tempting for them to bash. The divisions between the TPM-lovers and the AotC-lovers are almost as big as the divisions between OTers and PTers.

24. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm of the opinion that we keep a separate forum for TPM and AotC for quite some time, or at least until all three films have been released. Right now, there's enough posting activity in each forum to justify its own forum. The Classic Trilogy gets alot of traffic in its own right, but not to the extent that ANH, ESB, and RotJ should get its own forum. The reason is that enough time has elapsed and all topics exhausted that folks discuss things in terms of the trilogy moreso than hundreds of individual points about a single film.

25. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Personally, I feel the two forums in question are slowing down enough to warrent the merger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.