main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Post-Sequel Future Of The Galaxy? (Newer Republic? Something different?)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ghost, Dec 30, 2017.

?

Which do you prefer for the state of the galaxy, after Episode IX?

1. Newer Republic/Third Republic (New Republic with small changes)

26.0%
  2. Something New (big changes, like a Multi-State Galaxy, Radically-Different Republic, something else)

74.0%
  1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I absolutely want to see what comes next in the GFFA. Although it's a certainty that we'll get books and comics detailing the further lives of Rey, Finn and Poe, it'd be really nice to get an animated series about Rey helping Finn discover the extent of his Force-sensitivity while the two of them find other Force-sensitives throughout the Galaxy to train as the new generation of Jedi.

If Disney-Lucasfilm makes any movies set after TROS, I'd like them to pick up at least a hundred years after this film, preferably more. I want to see how the GFFA changes and adapts after nearly seven decades of continuous upheaval throughout the Skywalker saga, but I also want it to be distant enough from these films that nobody we know is still alive, and the characters are well-known historical figures like George Washington or Napoleon Bonaparte.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Rey rebuilding the jedi order with new students with help from Finn. Poe and others help restore the republic. Even with the sith gone, there are other forces that might tri to stop them. pirates, the underworld of criminals trying to carve space for themselfs.

3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The future should be isolated things like Obi-Wan's mission in AOTC, except make the whole movie about that one mission. And do that for some Jedi, some underworld folks, etc. all in the same time period.

4. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    At this point, the Force is sort of a bugaboo. Force users can catch space-ships, interact physically from across the Galaxy, bring people back to life, etc. There's not many other places to go. One place to go is the dawn of the Jedi, framing the discovery of Force powers and a slow burn up to mastery. This would require patience on the GA's part, however, which is certainly a mark against the idea.

Whatever it is, it must be cohesive and build to something. No jumping around the timeline anymore.

5. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    I really hope they move at least a few hundred years ahead of the ST. There is simply too much baggage associated with the Skywalker saga right now. Carrying on with the ST cast seems like beating a dead horse and probably won't do much to unite what seems to be an extremely splintered fandom. By moving into the future, whoever is working on the franchise won't be so overburdened with fan expectations. It would give whoever is working on the franchise the freedom to be creative without being tied down by existing lore. I wouldn't mind if they decided to do something with the Old Republic but again, with the fandom being as passionate as it is this would probably be a major letdown rather than a chance to revitalize the franchise. Instead of retreading ideas as old as the OT, perhaps we can get something fresh. No updated Republic/Resistance or Empire/First/Final Order please.

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Rey has at least one sibling trying to take on the mantle of evil. Palpatine was like Hugh Hefner (without protection) spreading his seed across the galaxy. They missed out on the sibling thing in this trilogy so why not go at it in another?

But much more likely they will go 1000 years or so prior to TPM.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  7. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    I think the future of Star Wars isn't be on the big screen. At least for awhile.

D+ allows creators to use a platform that allows for more elongated and in-depth storytelling. This is invaluable for SW right now, especially with stories outside the main saga.

With the early success of The Mandalorian and the Kenobi series coming up, I don't expect to see anything else on the big screen in the near future.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    Agree. I would like to extrapolate from that: not only will they stick to shows, they will be set near the OT, either immediately after or exploring the years between the PT and OT.

My bolder prediction: They will do that for awhile, and then use the popularity of baby yoda as an excuse to do a hard retcon of the abrams-johnson trilogy, so we can watch baby yoda at Luke’s academy.

9. Disney version of old republic

10. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    To Babu Frik for a memory wipe.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Even 100 years after Chewie would still be alive

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Not if he gets a moon dropped on him.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah since that was a satisfying death :p

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    How long does wokkies live for400-600 years? So we have both Chewie and master Yoda as legandry characters. maybe Maz still lives.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe they'll have a series with Maz and Chewie; taking place before either of them even met Han.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    400 years about

17. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Do yo think that they will go with any media form further the ST?

I mean, I would like to know what happens with the main trio and Jannah + the new government, but with they saying over and over how this is the end, maybe they will only go for TOR timeline.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think eventually they will but it might be a year or two down the line

19. JarJar4Eva

JarJar4Eva Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2005
    I think it's going to be a while before we see any media, even comic books and novels, that are set past the end of the ST. If Disney is serious about keeping canon straight, they will wait and figure out if they want to use the "Big 3" characters or maybe just use smaller or new characters.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I haven’t seen TROS yet, but I can’t help but want Lucasfilm to put a big pause on ST characters, etc, and go in a different direction.

Vib3s and Darth PJ like this.
  21. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    There is no such thing as a "Big Three" from the Sequel Trilogy. It's a duo.

There's no real plot left to tell with the Resistance characters as they are left now.

And I utterly balk at saga films without real SkySolos. I'm not averse to Palpatine descendants, but it can't be without anyone not a Solo on the principle that Palpatine's entire goal was to end the Skywalker line in this film. Not to mention, the plot of Ben Solo's journey of atonement is easily the biggest story opportunity they've got with many avenues of conflict possible. For one thing, few ever knew who he was under Kylo Ren's mask, which means Ben would be somewhat anonymous other than him being the long-lost son who was probably presumed dead at the Jedi school (Finn and Hux are amongst the only ones who really know/knew who he is). Then there's the idea of revenge creating villains and destroying people who meant well and were once heroic. Poe may have known Ben as a child, but may not know who was behind Kylo's mask all these years.

The Resistance characters' best chance at mattering at all would be in reaction to Ben existing again and the truths about Rey she might be afraid of telling them. Otherwise, those characters have no conflict. And no, the Resistance fighting against generic pseudo-Imperials trying to bring back their boss or whatever isn't personal enough of a conflict, regardless if it's Rey's granddad. There has to be more personal stakes than that for Rey. And her story is far from complete in regards to everything she's stated she wants or is shown longing for (family, love, children, etc...). That's her real story conclusion.

jeangreyforever and Sard_Oola like this.
  22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I’m sure they’d take their helmet off... just as we get to see Mando without his helmet in the last episode...

23. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    >Post-TROS comic books/novels that touch nothing relevant about post-FO political situation, just focused on personal plot of Finn/Rey/Pot;
    >Less and less people will buy them;
    >LF completely stops post-TROS comic books/novel production and focus on something else (Old Republic or big 100+ years timeskip) to start anew. Completely new lines of toys, characters, vehicles, ships, stories for movies and stuff, not ST-related.

Thats pretty much it.

Alliyah Skywalker likes this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the comics, novels will be quite popular with the adventures of jedi Rey and Finn. how they rebuilds the jedi and restores the republic. I'm sure we even get a animation tv series.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Thoughts, now that IX is out?