main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Post something positive about a SW film you're not fond of -

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Intergalactic Lawman, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    TLJ - The Snoke guard fight scene is fantastic!

2. Moonshield76

Moonshield76 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2020
    Well, I like Rey and Daisy Ridley.

If she worked with Lucas instead of Abrams, her acting would be more smooth, flowing. When Lucas worked with Natalie Portman, she watched movies with Lauren Bacall, Audrie Hepburn and Katharine Hepburn. Abrams's direction looks like he doesn't care about his actress.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Battle droids unfolding to that music just before the Naboo fight is pretty cool.

Across the Stars is a beautiful piece of music, both the Lake Country and Natalie Portman in the lake country setting are gorgeous, the Jango/Obi-Wan fight in the rain is very cool, and actually seeing a legion of Jedi fighting together in a movie is satisfying, even though they were fighting robots rather than darksiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    you do know there have been decades of criticism about George directing actors?

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Your point being?

TLJ: It's masterfully directed.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  6. Darth_Dave_1984

Darth_Dave_1984 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    TPM - At least you have Natalie Portman to look at.
    AOTC - I like the seismic charges.
    ROTS - As embarrassing it is to watch, the delivery of some of Ian McDiarmids lines make me chuckle.
    TFA - The Han and Kylo scene.
    TLJ - The gimpy bird things, porgs I think they're called.
    TROS - C-3PO doing a heroic act.

7. Martin Hoffmann

Martin Hoffmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2020
    This is true. All scenes with Rey, Kylo and Snoke on the great Star Destroyer are great.

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I forgot one significant thing about TROS: Leia was well integrated, all things considered. She's mostly just responding to what others say, but the way they wrote scenes around existing footage of her was really clever. I think it works really well. If I hadn't known that Carrie wasn't actively involved in the making of the film, I would've assumed that she was. You can really feel her presence. That's a testament to the stellar performance of everyone involved.
    I'm especially impressed by the visual work on Leia herself. I can hardly believe Carrie wasn't actually wearing that outfit!

9. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    The Phantom Menace reveals the politics of the SW universe and is purely George's imagination. We really get into his head!

10. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    TFA - The Falcon/TIE fighter action sequence on Jakku was great.

TLJ - The throne room fight scene was impressive.

TROS - I'd have to drag myself into watching it again (only seen it once) but I do recall liking the scene with Han and Ben.

11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I like this reaction from Rey in TLJ when Luke has given his explanation of what the Force is : "Yeah... but what... is it?"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  12. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    TROS - The desert chase was colorful and exciting.

13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    SAGA

Return of the Jedi - The first hour is an absolute ordeal for me to drudge through--between Jabba's Muppet Show and the Care Bears Adventure on Endor--but the film launches into hyperspace once Luke turns himself in to Vader. Truly, a mediocre movie salvaged by a firecracker of a third act.
    Attack of the Clones - Williams's Across the Stars is one of the great love themes in cinema. The end sequence is hands-down the finest of the six films, a breathtaking montage that, if expanded upon, would have established Lucas as a virtuoso silent-filmmaker.

DISNEY PAP

The Force Awakens - Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Adam Driver give it the ol' college try.
    The Last Jedi - Adam Driver and Mark Hamill deliver the two best franchise performances since Sir Alec.
    (Didn't see TLJ)

14. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    Rise of Skywalker - Chewie gets finally a medal.
    Despite being one of the worst of the ST it had some more interesting moments/easter eggs.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  15. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Chewbacca is a great character overall and has some super cool scenes in SOLO.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    TLJ - Most of the Crait sequences are great.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    all the saga for me...

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Although I wouldn't go as far as to say he doesn't care about them, I do agree his acting direction is much less subtle and nuanced-it's basically just in your face-bombastic, "turn to the camera and look shocked!" sort of over-acting. This is evident in more than just his SW films. But it's almost like he was so adamant that the acting not resemble the more subdued performances throughout part of the PT, that he decided to just go resolutely and completely in the opposite extreme.

NOW, say what one will about Rian Johnson and his treatment of TLJ, I will agree he got good performances out of the actors in that film.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    while I liked TLJ.. i thought it was Daisys worst performance
    its funny talking about directors being worse at directing actors than George as that was the biggest criticism of him as a director

20. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    AOTC - gave me more of the Coruscant that I felt cheated from in TPM.

21. takotsubo

takotsubo Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2020
    TFA -- uhmmm... I liked the first meaning in the opening crawl: "Luke Skywalker has vanished". I mean, every review you can read of TFA nowadays includes the word "[so much] potential. I disagree 99.9% but this sentence actually has some weight and sense of mysticism.

Wu Wei Jedi likes this.
  22. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Canady was pretty dope in TLJ. I’d love to see a cameo of him earlier in the timeline during his Imperial days.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I really liked the island setting at the end of TFA

24. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    I think TLJ would also deserve credit for that since we see the most of that setting there

25. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    The Force Awakens is actually a fun Star Wars movie. The problem is it doesn't hold up years later because they never had a plan for the ST. All of the mystery boxes feel hollow now, and the movie just doesn't hold up after watching 7,8,9. But I give JJ credit as it's a damn fun SW standalone movie with likeable new characters!

Lulu Mars, rktho, Sarge and 1 other person like this.