main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Haven't seen any errors in the server log. Anyone else?

2. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    How do you add a link to a thread in your sig? I want to add a link to my fan art thread, but I want it to say something like, Check out my fan art, here. not like https\boards.blahblahblah. Can you please help? :)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not sure if you can use BB Code in signatures. I know on the old boards you couldn't. If you want to give it a try, it would be {url=boards.theforce.net}here{/url} - just replace the curly brackets with [ and ]. If that doesn't work then just put the url in as I've done in mine.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    BBCode can be used in signatures just as in regular posts, so that should work—that's how I did the links in my own signature. :)

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Thanks, @Findswoman . My sig pre-dates the Xenforo boards so I had to put the URL.

Findswoman likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Is there any reason why we can’t edit replies in PMs?

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think it's just the way the software works. We use an add-on for PMs - it might just be the way it's coded.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Just curious. Since it sometimes gets annoying when you have to double or even triple post in a PM. Thanks for the reply though.

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hi. I am encountering a refresh issue on the fan fic forum. I posted in this story thread: https://boards.theforce.net/threads/mod-challenge-eternal-darkness.50049395/#post-55123075 Eternal Darkness

However, two of the three screens that show the most recent entry within its forum, are showing a previous entry, not the one I have just done.

If I go to Fan Fiction - https://boards.theforce.net/categories/fan-fiction.10825/ - the most recent entry shown is Anakin and the Darkness

If I proceed into the Fan Fiction and Writing Resource - https://boards.theforce.net/forums/fan-fiction-and-writing-resource.10304/ -, the Anakin, etc entry is still shown as the latest item.

I have to actually go into the story forum Fan Fiction - Before, Saga and Beyond - https://boards.theforce.net/forums/fan-fiction-before-saga-and-beyond.10859/ - to see that Eternal Darkness was the last thread to be updated.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Pretty sure it's because Before, Saga, and Beyond is a subforum. If what's in Resource has a newer update time than the newest post in Before that's what you'll see on the FanFic screen.

pronker likes this.
  11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Starting with positive TFN stuff: (1) I cackled at receiving "The Other 1138 Award" today. (2) The Forum Feud is a hoot.

Dipping into a question that I hope somebody can steer me right on:
    I use Wordpad to write fics in and saved, when my laptop froze everything to a BSOD. I was forced to do a hard shutdown, unworried because the file was saved. Upon reopening the document looks like this:

N ?? x ?? {} [] [] p

line after line, in about the same file size. What happened and can it be resuscitated?:(

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Only because I once had a file that looked like that...if you mean that the file length looks the same, little hope, maybe you could run through the fonts, see if it changed to dingbats.

If you just mean the memory size is the same, long shot, scroll down through pages and pages and pages of this *****, and your fic may be preserved as a text file in the middle of it.

Mine did not happen in the same circumstances as yours, so no guarantee.

pronker likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Did the file save as a type Wordpad recognizes?

pronker likes this.
  14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm giving up after scrolling through everything. *shrug* A positive note is that, heya, I just remembered that Wednesday I sent it to my Kindle for usual practice of reading/editing while on the road, so Wednesday's deathless prose lives and I can transfer the file back into Laptop. But Thursday's work changed the status from 3/4 complete to 7/8 complete, and that's Gone With The Wind.:kylosaber:

15. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I don't think so. As a test, I sent the file to my Kindle and it bounced from Amazon. The description still says "28.1 KB Rich Text Document", though.

EAD: Ack! Double post, sorry! *iz brainfried*

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Since you had to hard reboot, check your system hasn't defaulted back to .docs.

If it is trying to open an .rtf document as a .doc file, that may be the issue.

pronker likes this.
  17. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I deleted the whole schmear, starting over from the file on my Kindle. It's not a Paperwhite or Fire but an old style D01100, so the question is how to xfer files from it to Laptop. Learning curve ahead. It'll be faster to retype, ha.

18. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    @LAJ_FETT
    Sorry of this isn't the right place, but I just wanted to tell you guys that the "Staff" page hasn't been updated in a while, and there have been some changes of Mods and stuff. You might already know that, but anyways. ;)

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like there are a few changes. I'll try to get to it later today.

pronker likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Staff Page has been updated.

pronker likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like yesterday's outage was caused by a problem with the host - lasted about an hour and a half.

Ewok Poet and pronker like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Are we ever going to get the invisibility/anonymity option back? Just curious. I don't like being seen online every now and then. [face_blush]

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You talking about showing your online status? Looks like it can be turned off/on for regular users in the Admin CP but not in the user profile. That might have been changed in the upgrade. Doesn't look like it's something you could turn off/on at will - you'd have to ask one of us to change it. (Even then I'm pretty sure a mod/admin could still see if you are online.)

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I don't mind mods and admins seeing it - I can obviously see my users on any board I run and I'm well-aware of that. :)

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I can ask about it in our mod forum - I don't think we have a policy on changing this.

pronker and Ewok Poet like this.