main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, there are a bunch of 'unable to send email' messages in the server log as well. I'm about to send the SOS mail to Grahame and Philip.

Dandelo and Master_Rebado like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Getting similar PM issues.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for these details. It made me check my own PMs. On a 3-page conversation, I find 0 participants and on a 12-page conversation, page 12 which is the page that was posted on yesterday is blank. I also am not getting watched thread alerts.

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    My watched threads have all vanished.

I still get alerts for replies in the threads I'm watching, but apparently I "do not have any watched threads that are unread" and when I click the link to view all watched threads it tells me "You are not watching any threads."

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Pretty sure it's all part of the same issue. Philip has replied to the SOS email but I don't know if Grahame has seen it yet (he'd be the one to investigate things).

V-2 and Master_Rebado like this.
  6. lilforceghost

lilforceghost Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2018
    Yeah, I was trying to get some stuff sent over to @Nehru_Amidala and there's totally a server error going on in messages. I figured I'd post here adding in my issue as well.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, it's affecting everyone. Not much I can do - our server admin needs to look at it.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like we're back in business - thanks @Grahame !

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Quick note that our host is having issues with the server we are on - boards were down when I first tried to get on. Not sure if it's fixed or not.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Could not log in after about 9:15 AM Eastern Time until about 11:25.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Here's the problem:

[​IMG]

:p

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Our host has two ongoing notifications up for problems with our server. Not sure if it's fixed or not but if we take a hike again that's probably why. Notices are time-stamped about 1.5 hours ago.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Host has now marked the issues as resolved.

14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    If you don't mind saying, who is your host? That way in a future board outage, I can check their status page myself (if said page is publicly accessible) to see which end the outage is on, and (if it's a host issue) potentially see updates on the situation myself instead of having to wait for the summary here when the boards come back online.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Current host is Vultr - we're on their New Jersey server.

jcgoble3 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  16. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    And your still based out in Dallas, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Philip Wise lives in/near Dallas. I don't know if the Vultr server names reflect the physical location or not.

jcgoble3 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Are there plans to be able to filter using multiple forum prefixes instead of just one?

19. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there currently a way to edit the title of a thread you started? I know that used to be possible, but can't figure out how to do it with the current interface.

pronker and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Pretty sure regular users can't do that anymore. You could PM one of the forum mods to do it for you.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  21. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_alien] I'm hoping someone can narrow my info gap of how computer/internet tech fits together in the big picture. Since theforceDOTnet changing servers resulted in 1. loss of fics over a certain number of characters and 2. loss of ability to edit one's thread titles, could AO3's recently stated aim of messing around with their servers do likewise? Here's their 2019 budget for it:

• Additionally, AO3 expenses include a significant server overhaul and expansion of roughly US$177,000. New virtualisation servers will replace the current equipment, making testing and deployment of code for the Archive much smoother. The old servers will be repurposed as storage for the new servers. Other new servers will expand the Archive’s capacity to serve pages and search results to users with fewer connection issues.
    • Other anticipated costs include US$33,000 for a Systems contractor, who will do some work for the Archive’s hardware infrastructure.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not really familiar with AO3. I'm pretty sure the loss of posts over 10k characters was something in the conversion process from IGN to Xenforo. The code was done by one of the IGN programmers so it wasn't a Xenforo product. (They offer conversion processes for stuff like vBulletin but not for IGN as it was IGN's own system). On the other hand, we're pretty sure the loss of the edit function for titles was a result of the upgrade we did to a newer version of Xenforo. It could be that something that allowed it was fixed or the function was discontinued. All I can say on AO3 is if you are worried about stuff you have stored there, make a copy down to your PC or other storage media.

pronker likes this.
  23. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for the swift reply and succinct summing up. Nope, unworried about anything of mine, but boy howdy, the sheer size of AO3 boggles and if the site experienced such a problem, the sounds of fans screaming would be heard 'round the world. I'd not scream but whimper because their tagging system is a hoot in itself!

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    In past jobs I worked with pretty large databases. (My last job as a database administrator was with DHL). Doing a large upgrade requires a lot of planning. Hopefully AO3 will do that well, or will break the project down into smaller bites. Also hopefully they will keep their users informed. If they have a support or tech forum keep an eye out for announcements there.

jcgoble3, Nehru_Amidala and pronker like this.
  25. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    @LAJ_FETT I don't know if this counts as a technical question but I'm wondering if there are any plans to add any more smilies/emojis of more Star Wars characters? (I'm mostly asking because if I wanna complete my signature [face_laugh])

pronker likes this.
  26. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think our Head Admin @JoinTheSchwarz might have done the last ones. It's not something I normally do.

pronker likes this.