main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    PCCViking and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Not sure if this is the right place for this question - if so, please feel free to move elsewhere.

Why did the post editing function change? For example, it used to say when a mod edits a post "Edited by cubman987" or whatever. Now it's just "Edited by a moderator."

What's the reasoning for this change? I'm not in any trouble right now or anything, but I am curious because it prevents people from knowing who to talk to if they have questions about a post edit or things of that nature.

pronker likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It might have been when the forum software was updated. However if a mod makes an edit because there is a problem with the post, the mod should say why the edit was made in the post. For example, if I edit a post due to a naughty word or something like that I'll usually put something like
    LAJ Edit - disallowed word
    so you know who edited it and why. If you were edited and have a particular post in mind stick a link to it here and I can take a look.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Dandelo, Darkslayer and pronker like this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's also not just a mod thing- any person who edits a post just gets the little "last edited" tag.

If, though, one is dying to know who has edited a post, you can see the editor's name on Tapatalk.

Gamiel, DarthIshyZ and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I got two edits by moderators tonight (by the standards of my area) but only got a alert for one of them. So I was wondering why do you get alerts for mod edits sometime but not other times?

Makes it easier to know I have done wrong after all if I find out about a mod edit quickly instead of by scrolling through old pages.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It is optional for mods to send an alert to the person why they were edited. More often than not this is redundant, as the edit reason will usually be given in the thread where the edited post is.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But if I don't know about the edit I'll often not go back in a thread, thereby missing that I have been edited. I'm not asking about getting a 'why' alert, just an alert that I have been edited and wondering why I sometime get one and other times only notice if I for some reason to back in a thread.

8. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    This is not something the site is capable of doing. It's either the "why" alert or nothing. Most of the time with significant edits the mod will write a follow up post in the thread, so it's on you if you don't see that.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Okey, thanks for the info :)

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So this is definitely an issue on my end and not the sites end but any help would be appreciated. Every once in a while and it usually lasts for a few hours every time I try to do an action that requires you to be logged in such as liking a post or just posting it has me log back in every time. Anyway I can fix this when this pops up?

11. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this is sometimes a cache problem JKF, trying clearing these from your browser or phone settings and see if that does the trick.

pronker likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do you tick the 'stay logged in' box when you sign in? If not try that. Otherwise, as Dandelo said, it could be a cookie issue. Try clearing any cookies for 'boards.theforce.net' from your cache.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t exactly know how to clear cookies that thoroughly on an iPhone which is what I mainly use, but if the stay logged in option doesn’t work I am sure I can figure it out.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Ah - I'm usually on a laptop using Firefox when I'm here.

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think if you're using Safari just go to "Safari" in settings and look for the "clear history and website data" option.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Before you hit that button see if Safari offers you an option to remove individual cookies (Firefox does). Otherwise you'll lose cookies for other sites (Amazon, for example). If Safari allows it just remove any cookies for 'boards.theforce.net'.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I don't think that's possible, I'd certainly use that feature if it existed on Safari

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    In Firefox, it's in Options>>Privacy & Security. Scroll down to Cookies and Site Data. On the right of the list there's a Manage Data tab. That's where you can search your cookies and only remove certain ones.

19. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    haha yup guys JKF has sorted the issue :D

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So getting your post liked in notification highlights your whole post now? That makes the notification feed huge

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah it's gone now, that was weird!

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Sorry I didn’t update you all the issue was sorted. I had to both clear cookies and also check the always signed in box. Trust me it’s a lot better than having to log in every time I wanted to post or like a comment.

LAJ_FETT and DarthIshyZ like this.
  24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I haven't been able to get any threads to load on Tapatalk for the past few days. Every time I tap on a thread, the "loading..." spinner just spins forever.

25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Working fine for me. On the latest version?