main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes. I tried clearing the cache and force-stopping the app. I finally tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and that did the trick. It's working now after reinstalling.

2. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I can't edit any of my posts.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Has the time expired to do so? Most posts have a 30 minute window for editing.

Your current post in here has more than 20 minutes left. See if the Edit button still appears along the bottom of your post.

4. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Oh. Guess I'm not used to forums that have a time limit for editing.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Not really a technical question, but can I make a thread about what people would think if LucasFilm cancelled the ST and said it is no longer canon? From what I've read recently about what's going on with LucasFilm, I feel like there's more than 0% chance of that happening. Or would that be considered baiting? I'm already on thin ice here, so I don't want take any chances.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Since the thread is ST-related, I'd ask the ST mods to see what they think. That forum is probably the best place for the thread.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That’s gonna be a no. There’s no reason to kick up a hornets nest like that for something that’s not going to happen.

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Gotcha. No worries.

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Mm.

Don't know why, but on my phone, Samsung Galaxy S4, sometime in the last two hours, on IE, my name is floating in the top right corner all by itself - the logos for Facebook, Twitter, PMs envelope, and alerts having vanished.

I pressed a finger into the area where the alerts would be, and the thing is still there (it told me no alerts), but the logo has blended into the background.

I checked my Chrome browser, and that shows Facebook and Twitter logos, but not PM and alerts.

On my new iota laptop, IE browser, those things appear fine.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Quick answer- get Tapatalk lol.

Longer answer, on Firefox at least using ad-blockers will disable the social media buttons. I don't know if this is possible on IE on a Galaxy, but that could be the issue. If that's not the case, you can always try relaunching the app, clearing your cookies, etc.

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you.

If I can figure out how to do any of that stuff, I shall give them a go.

Definitely something wrong with my system. I have just spotted a couple more examples of TFN-specific issues.

If I trigger a popup, so far seen this on that avatar block where you can start conversations, instead of the red x in the top right corner, it now looks like a wierd red knot against a white spot.

And in this edit box on RTF, all those function icons have blanked. I can still see their borders.

I'm going to try something.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Make sure you're on the latest version of Tapatalk if you use it. Alternatively, did your phone do a software update before this all started?

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    As far as I can tell, I don't have the ability to clear cookies, like on a laptop.

I have cleared cache data, which my usual method of clearing malware.

It is possible that there was a software update. I didn't catch any messages that that had occurred.

Now lost ability to expand and collapse the forums. The chevron signs have vanished from sight, and are not responding to tactile contact in their locations.

Never tried Tapatalk. Anecdotes don't make it sound better than IE before all this happened.

14. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Not a technical issue and maybe it was already discussed in previous 138 pages but here we go: I have it enough with over-quoting! is there any way to limit the number of quotes or words per post because some posters are really annoying with their attempts to reply to 30, 40, 50+ quotes per post. So the page literally looks like a never-ending scroll down down down down. It's so annoying and so useless. If you are tagged you can't even find your quote cause it's buried under 50 other. If you are not tagged you have no reason to waste time scrolling. And then someone decides to quote the over-quoted post! Oh joy! That's like 5 pages worth of endless scroll. I'm not over-dramatizing, this is a huge issue.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The limit is 5 nested quotes per post. Unless all five of those posts are as long as a soliloquy, there shouldn't be an issue.

If you're not interested in reading other people's posts, there is always fast scroll.

DarthIshyZ and PCCViking like this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Update: don't know how long for, but those missing icons and capabilities seem to be back on my phone's IE browser - chevrons to expand forums, PM envelope, and the alert sign.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Aaaaand they've gone again.

But at least I expanded the forums I used, whilst the chevrons were back.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Haven't had any other complaints. How recent is the IE version you are using? (I'm not a good font of knowledge when it comes to using a phone to view the boards as I use a PC here).

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    What do you mean? Internet Explorer never existed for iPhones or Android, and Windows Phone is long defunct. If you mean your phone's default browser, that would be Safari for iPhone and usually Chrome for Android (sometimes just an unbranded "Browser" on Android, but in that case you're infinitely better off downloading a proper browser like Chrome or Firefox from the Google Play Store).

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Mm. Fair point. App logo is the Planet Earth, with "Internet" underneath, that I just took to be IE. The phone does have Chrome, but compared to DITNIE (Drokk It Then, Not IE), it has navigation issues. I'm just more comfortable using IE, DITNIE. [face_plain]

21. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Okay, here to report an inability to log in at work where I do most of my reading and half of my posts.

This is from trying either the rp list or from boards.theforce.net. What it shows is as follows:

Certificate Error
    There is an issue with the SSL certificate of the server you are trying to contact.

Certificate Name: theforce.net
    IP: 45.63.15.159
    Category: any
    Issuer: Go Daddy Secure Certificate Authority - G2
    Reason:

*No reason is listed and then it just shows my work tag email on the very last line below that. Hopefully just something temporary.

EDIT: Should add this is using a Chrome browser.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    According to an SSL checker (https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=boards.theforce.net), there are issues with the intermediate certificate installation that makes the site certificate not trusted in all browsers. Employer-managed browsers do tend to be more strict about things like this.

This also seems like a good moment to remind the appropriate people that the current site certificate expires in less than six weeks and needs to be renewed soon or else everyone will get a certificate error.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Thanks - I've sent an email to Philip about the certificate expiry.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Update on the site certificate - Philip has the updated certificate but it looks like it was only installed on the main sites. He's emailed Anthony (server admin) to do the forums as well.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    These forums don't have a dark mode, do they? Just want to make sure there isn't a setting hidden somewhere I completely missed.