main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Putting this message from our host here in case of issues:

Partial Outage
    09/04/20 2:58 pm UTC

An outage or maintenance window is affecting a subset of users in this region. Detailed outage information is available in the customer portal if this event is impacting your resources.

pronker likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t really care but someone brought this up to me. It seems post counts have gone down for some people. I don’t know about mine as I haven’t looked in a long time, but I do know something changed. Is this a bug or a feature?

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That could be a side effect of the recent Community split, yes. Unexpected things can and will happen during this week.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It may be a side effect of all the +1 post crunching games being moved.

Ninja'd by the boss.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep did some sleuthing there seems to be a problem with “fun” marked posts in community. Hope this helps you guys. Although I don’t really care. Just wanted to know if it was intentional

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IIRC you were well over 200,000. You can find out the exact number "missing" by adding up the totals when you hover over your mini icon on each Fun and Games thread you've posted in. (this goes for anyone curious about how many posts they've made in that forum. I lost a little over 1000 posts lol)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Again I wouldn’t know I only learned about it when Viking told me. Weirdly it doesn’t seem to effect your likes as I just got the trophy double or nothing.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wasn't a stalwart of those threads but I estimate about 400 posts were purged.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I didn’t realize until now just how many posts that free association thread had 162k sure like 14k are mine but that’s still a lot.

Pensivia, DarthIshyZ and PCCViking like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I lost 10k.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Checked I was about 40k off 200k which is sorta sad. Who has 160k posts on a forum Star Wars forum when they aren’t that interested in Star Wars. Me. That’s who.

PCCViking likes this.
  12. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Just noticed some of the emotes have suddenly stopped working for me on chrome.

:mad:^:)^[face_blush][face_dancing][face_dunno][face_phbbbbt][face_praying][face_tee_hee]

all show up with the broken image icon. The others seem to be fine.
    (PC, Chrome 86)

Strangely enough, they're all fine on Edge.

Dandelo, HanSolo29 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The ones in your post are also OK on Firefox. Have you updated Chrome recently? You could try clearing your cache to see if that helps.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Chrome just sucks in general now. It's telling when the Microsoft browser is doing things better. :p

DarthIshyZ and darthhelinith like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't used Chrome - been fairly happy with Firefox so far.

jcgoble3 and pronker like this.
  16. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Latest version is installed. Tried clearing the cache but that didn't do anything.
    I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling later, when I've got the energy for it.
    It's better than my school's server, which is a mess of legacy programs, defunct commands and broken desktop icons. I have two icons for chrome on my desktop at work, one for version 86, one for version 35. But they're identical so every time I click one its a pot-shot of 'will this website work?'. Also our desktop shortcut to the staff email opens in chrome 35. Urgh.

EDIT: not to mention half the links in the start menu no longer work.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It could be an add-on as well. In the Firefox forums they say if you think you are having a problem with an add-on or extension to try disabling them one at a time and see if that fixes the problem. If it does than you've found the culprit.

18. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Good call, I'll try that first.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Sounds easier than reinstalling Chrome.

20. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I'm also seeing it on my Android phone using Chrome. Same thing. I'll try the native browser later today.

HanSolo29 and darthhelinith like this.
  21. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    No luck with disabling the extensions. I wonder if a chrome update has 'broken' something.
    I'll fiddle about with it more later.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    If it helps any, I'm also having the same issue. It extends across several devices, all using Chrome.

EDIT: I just checked in Firefox and Safari, and things seem fine there, so it's definitely isolated to Chrome.

DarthIshyZ and darthhelinith like this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Are you seeing similar behavior on other sites or is it just here? It does sound like an update screwed something up.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  24. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Could it be your phone needs updating? That happens to me when IOS needs an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronker likes this.
  25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Deliberate change by Google: https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4926989725073408

To put that in layman's terms: Basically, the JCF is served securely over HTTPS (which is a good thing), but some of the emoticon images are hosted on a server which doesn't support HTTPS (which is not a good thing), so they are served over insecure HTTP. However, when an HTTPS page includes HTTP content, it weakens the security of the page.

Beginning with Chrome 86, released this month, Google Chrome is taking steps toward blocking all insecure images on HTTPS pages by default. (More precisely, it will attempt to load them over HTTPS anyway, and not fall back to HTTP if that fails.) This means that the emoticon images hosted on the non-HTTPS server will break by default on the newest versions of Chrome. While the user might be able to re-enable so-called mixed content, doing so is not recommended because it weakens security. Instead, the recommended solution is for the website owners to remove HTTP content from their site and include only HTTPS content in HTTPS sites.

I notice that many of the emoticon images are already served from this server (boards.theforce.net) and over HTTPS. I would suggest that the remaining non-locally hosted images be copied to and hosted on this server as well, and the problem will be solved.