main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Follow-up. I just now received a watched thread notification email for the first time in nearly three weeks.

More specifically:
    • I received a notification for this post
    • The timestamp of that post is 1:54 PM ET.
    • The email arrived in my inbox at 4:22 PM ET.
    • The email had the gray "this email was not sent to Spam because of a filter you created" banner.
    • Upon clicking the email menu and selecting "Show original" to view the raw headers, I see the following clues:
      • The top of the page shows that the email was created at 1:54 PM ET and "delivered after 8861 seconds"
      • Following the chain of hops via "Received:" headers indicates that the message followed this route:
        • Generated by boards.theforce.net at 13:54:52 ET (1:54 PM ET)
        • From there, received by mail.wise-advice.com at 12:54:52 CT (1:54 PM ET)
        • From there, received by mx.google.com at 13:22:32 PT (4:22 PM ET)
        • From there, sorted into my mailbox at 13:22:33 PT (4:22 PM ET)
      • Therefore, it seems likely that either mail.wise-advice.com is having trouble sending, or Google is taking a long time to accept mail from mail.wise-advice.com.

pronker and HanSolo29 like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, whatever my issue was it's working now. Yesterday after logging out I deleted all cookies and data associated with theforce.net. I then shut the PC down as usual. When I booted up today things were fine. I had tried a reboot yesterday but I guess it needed a full shutdown and startup to sort out whatever the issue was.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

pronker and DarthIshyZ like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Are any of you watching a whole sub forum? Since in my quest to see how many alerts you can possible get I bonked my alerts by watching to many threads and forums.

Maybe the amount of watched threads or forums has something to do with it

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Only thing I have set to get alerts for are PMs. That has worked fine so far.

pronker likes this.
  5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Nope, I'm not watching any subforums. I have maybe a handful of game threads that I'm watching in the RPF that I participate in, but that's about it. So, I don't think it's an issue with the number of alerts going out.

But just to give an update, I started receiving alerts via Tapatalk for PMs and 'Likes'; no thread notifications. That lasted for maybe 3 days, and then everything stopped again. Unfortunately, emails are another story. I have yet to receive an email from the system since I first reported the problem a little over a week ago.

Kato Sai likes this.
  6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not watching any forums. I have accumulated 104 watched threads since The Move(tm), of which 88 have email notifications turned on, 29 have seen new posts since January 1, 2022, 72 have not been posted in within the past two years, and 15 are locked. (I keep the old ones watched as a form of bookmarking and in case they ever get bumped.)

I should get emails for the watched threads with email turned on, and for PMs. I should get Tapatalk push notifications for PMs and whenever someone quotes or @mentions me (I have notifications for all watched thread posts turned off in Tapatalk). Currently, I'm not getting any of that, aside from that random single email yesterday afternoon.

7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Another random email came through overnight last night. I inspected the headers again. It was generated by the forums at 6:44 PM ET yesterday and finally arrived in my inbox at 3:19 AM ET today, 30,910 seconds later. Again, the entire delay was at the hop between mail.wise-advice.com and mx.google.com.

8. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    My biggest peev is not font color change. I’m stuck with default.

Tay Neir likes this.
  9. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    How do we upload images?

I've tried using tags and pasting the Imgur image link in-between, which usually works on any other forum. However, it doesn't here. I've tried pressing the Image box in the hotbar above a post, and pasted the Imgur link into the field that appears. Still nothing.

I remember having trouble with this before, so maybe it's me, but I feel like something as basic as adding an image to a post shouldn't be this complicated.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We use BBCode, so if you type [img][/img] on either side of an image URL it should work. Also with Imgur make sure you’re using the link for the image itself, and not the image page.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  11. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Careful with that, though. I tried hotlinking a pic once and got something else entirely.

12. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I tried that, however I capitalized the tags.

I could have made a mistake with linking to the image page, I'll try again on the thread I was trying to link the images to.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  13. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Or, try here.

14. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Someone on Reddit is struggling to register. I don't know if it is a common theme for everyone. Can a mod help?

UKS

DarthIshyZ and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm not on Reddit but if you are you could ask the user what username they used and PM me the answer. I can look into it. We do have users that fail to get the emails and it's usually because they used a school or work email address that blocks sites like this. If that's the case here I can update the user's status in our Admin section.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    DarthIshyZ and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  16. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Will do.

UKS

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Thanks. I might not see the PM til tomorrow as I'm about to head off for the evening so you might let them know that.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Could it also be related to the ongoing email issue? I think we've narrowed it down to Gmail users, so I'd be curious to see if that is what they're using to register their account.

jcgoble3 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Problem is we've had plenty of Gmail users that haven't had issues with registration mails. The ones who do are normally using a school email address or a work one where they've probably blocked sites like ours.
    Anyway this one should be sorted. UKS PM'd me the name and I've marked the user as Valid.

jcgoble3 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that I've let the tech crew know about the gmail issue I don't see any mail-related errors in our logs but they can check the server and email server logs.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Email issue update. I just received (a few minutes ago) one more email notification. This one came through immediately (zero seconds delay). Possibly related: I had the thread in question open at that time and also was actively typing a message in that thread (the baseball draft thread in Arena) when the message for which I was notified was posted (resulting in the usual "new messages have been posted" banner above the reply box).

22. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    how does one mean something to the forums?

like i notice ever time i get the nerve to check the members lists i'm never on them and they only get harder to get on.

i also never get special colors. i'm starting to think they are for contest winners only or something?...

and i'm still waiting for them to create a jar jar binks emjoi and canadian flag for the forums

i'm starting to think everything on these forums doesn't revolve around me and my likings

please tag me cause i'm not watching this thread thank you for your time

Sarge and Dandelo like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sir this is a Wendys

Juliet316, Sarge, DarthIshyZ and 2 others like this.
  24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    A new development in the Gmail saga:

[​IMG]

Previously it was a grey banner saying that "this message was not sent to spam because of a filter you created" with a button to mark as "not spam" to train the spam filter. Now, it's a bold yellow banner warning that the message is suspicious, with no option to tell Gmail that it's okay.

pronker and DarthIshyZ like this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Gmail might be tightening up on things. I don't think anything has changed at our end.

DarthIshyZ and darthbernael like this.