main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    Not just Gmail, on occasion Chrome gets funky and doesn't recognize the security of the hyperlink. Lasts for a day or two then stops being annoying. At least for me.

pronker likes this.
  2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    "Spam filters" are questionable, IMO. One of my fellow Scout leaders said his mom called him so much that she was marked as spam automatically.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, is anyone else having trouble embedding some animated gifs lately?

The last couple days I've tried embedding gifs from different gif sites and usually get the (IMG) placeholder text that you usually get when the image link is invalid or the format isn't compatible. But that shouldn't be the case.

Like this one from Tenor: https://tenor.com/WmwU.gif

[​IMG]

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I rarely use the embed button with gifs and images, I just directly copy and paste. This should work-

[​IMG]

Actually embedding it works too. I think you're just embedding the gif page, not the gif itself. I've noticed sites like tenor and imgur have made it a bit harder to directly embed images, they try to get you to embed the image pages instead.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    And be careful with hotlinking pics. I did one once and didn't check it. My preview looked good. The actual pic was... well... could have been NSFW.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

The link I posted above was the direct link feature on the page, not the URL of the page itself.

EDIT-

[​IMG]

OK, copying the image address does the trick (though I don't think you can do that on mobile? Since it is a "right click feature" you usually only see in desktop browsers). Weird, though, because the "copy link" stuff always worked before.

EDIT 2-
    Ok, so posting directly to the boards on mobile will not work (you'll see it, with distorted proportions, in your post composition window, but after you post it all the final post will show is empty space, not even the (IMG) tag placeholder), but I figured out the work around on mobile: You "copy" the image directly, then paste it into the address bar, then copy the address from the bar, then paste that into the image embed field function on the boards. And doing all of that will get it to actually show.

7. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    If you're on your phone, press on the image and hold. A menu will come up. I believe it's the same menu as right-click. One of the options in that menu is "Open Image in a new Tab," or some such. From there, you can copy/paste that link into the dialog box. I see from that method your link is: https://c.tenor.com/NxNOjcpnL6oAAAAC/star-wars-exactly.gif.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well there's your problem, trying to post anything here from mobile. What do you think, these forums are in the 21st century or something? ;)

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What, you expect me to spend time here during daylight hours? ;)

I think the tab option only exists if you have a link to the image already. If it’s just the image you only have “copy”, which is some weird, context-sensitive hybrid that will either be text, the animated gif or a still image of the gif, depending on where/what program you’re pasting it into.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  10. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have two questions and I think they are related.

back in the day more so than now threads used to be closed around page 1,000 was there for no particular reason other than it being a nice round number or was this related to something technical.

also any idea what happened to this thread?

https://boards.theforce.net/threads...thread-image-and-gif-heavy.50038384/page-1019

As you can see most pages on this thread work and show posts fine but when you get above 1,000 things go wrong very quickly. Just something I have always been curious about

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Going back to the email issue, an interesting development today: at 9:01 AM ET, I suddenly got a mass dump of 17 email notifications for posts made over the weekend (Saturday and Sunday). Since then, email notifications seem to have been working fine (with the caveat that, since I was offline all day until about an hour ago, the sample size so far is just three successes out of three cases in one thread right now).

I'll continue to monitor and report back, but perhaps this may have been solved?

pronker likes this.
  13. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I still can no longer use font colors, font types, and font sizes. But I’ve learned to live with it.

pronker likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s weird it’s only an issue on your end. I can still totally change the size and color. Have you tried using a different browser

15. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Perhaps so! I received an email notification from Post Technical etc. this morning, maybe from the post above this one? Gmail, latest Chrome browser, PDT 7 a.m. We live in hope. Yesterday evening I messed around with my alerts, removing them all and then reinputting this one. :)
    EAD: Yes, upon checking the time sig, it was 6.11, the time of the above post.
    EEAD: Eeee, it happened again with the post below, huzzah!
    EEEAD: I am easily amused.[face_laugh]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    DarthIshyZ and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    They are not related. The locking of threads at 25000 posts was AFAIK done for tradition's sake and not to do with board limitations. It's possible wayyyyy back on the earliest board software that was the case, but on the IGN boards I don't believe that was the case.

As for the thread you linked that was due to a specific overfilled cache issue or something along those lines that was due to us running on increasingly outdated Xenforo software, and was resolved when we did that big update around 2017. If you look around there's a lot of other threads that had the same issue at that same time.

Jedi Knight Fett and DarthIshyZ like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As far as the question about closing long threads (like social threads) and starting new ones we generally leave that decision up to the forum mods.

PCCViking and DarthIshyZ like this.
  18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Yeah, I’ve tried all kinds of different browsers. Logged out, updated everything.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Sounds like it must be a PEBCAK (problem exists between chair and keyboard). :p

jcgoble3, Kato Sai and DarthIshyZ like this.
  20. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Oooohh... That's serious. I hear they have an antibiotic for that.

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    And follow up a day later: emails came in just fine all day, I kept opening threads from my phone at work (slow day :p) and the next post would trigger an immediate email, etc. Came home this evening to check the watched threads page (as I've been doing for a few months now) and the only unread threads shown there are ones for which email is disabled. Hopefully it's not too early to say this, but I'm reasonably confident in concluding this issue is fixed, knock on wood. (I also noticed that the emails coming in today did NOT have the gray banner about "not sent to Spam because of a filter you created", which seems likely to be related.)

pronker likes this.
  22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Perhaps it is. XD

EHT and DarthIshyZ like this.
  23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I prefer PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Computer).

LAJ_FETT and EHT like this.
  24. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    You guys need to fix the broken email verification system. It's ridiculous and led to me being locked out of my account for at least the last two weeks.

I changed my email and sent the verification email, but it never came through. No matter how many times I resent it would just not come through. I emailed jedicouncil@theforce.net multiple times, but I may as well have been speaking to a brick wall. Why is nobody actually manning that email?

I also tried the Contact Us button at the bottom of the forum page, which I'm assuming goes to the same email address - again, nothing.

Because my email then got 'unverified' as I'd changed it, I couldn't message any moderators or admins, post, or do anything on the forum to reach out for some support. Pretty dumb permission settings.

What finally worked was enabling two-step verification to the email I was trying to change to. That code worked and it finally allowed me to resend the confirmation email.

Admins - do something about this please, bit of a joke that I had to basically get lucky with the method above. Also, get somebody to actually man the emails so members aren't being ignored when they have an issue with account access maybe? :rolleyes:

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Our site owner monitors the http://www.theforce.net/contact.asp contact address for The Force.net Staff. I've gotten emails forwarded from him about issues before. If you have a problem like that again try using that address. Not sure if any of us admins have access to the Jedi Council contact email address. (I know I don't).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Lobey-One Kenobi likes this.