main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post Your CCG Collecting Related Questions Here

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Apr 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    If you have any questions related to collecting the CCG, post them here and Gold 5 will try to answer them as soon as he is able.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I would also be pleased to answer any questions you guys have.

3. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Attrition: WHY???

4. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Heh, sorry guys, I meant to make a thread for any collecting questions. Technically we have the board for everything else. My bad 8-/

5. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    I know, I was just kidding. Jokes are so hard to get across in text...

6. Gold_5

Gold_5 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2001
    If it weren't for attrition, you would have 100% availaiblity of all collectibles.

Attrition is a good thing for collectors, it helps sustain the value of items over time. (just as long as your collection isn't the one experiencing the attrition)

:)

Hope you get a chuckle out of this answer :)

Gold 5

7. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    haha, you have validated my question! thank you!

8. Stranded in space

Stranded in space Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2000
    I've got a question, where can i find a good on-line price guide?

9. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    None exist to my knowledge. But you're in luck since I am working on one for TFN as we speak. It should be debuting very soon...

10. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    That will be very cool. Let's hope it's updated regularly. Once again, I'd be happy to help out.

11. Stranded in space

Feb 13, 2000
  12. UniqueCorellian

UniqueCorellian Jedi Youngling

May 13, 1999
    I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on 1st day issue cards for Jedi Knights.
    1. Are they worth the extra investment?
    2. Is this idea better or worse than Limited/Unlimited as seen in other Decipher ccgs? Why?

Also, more generally:
    As a SWCCG player/collector like myself, is your first priority when trading/buying playable cards (i.e. Tramples, Imperial Commands) or collectable cards (i.e. Main Course Foil, Princess Leia Organa)?

Hope these can start some conversation. :)

13. 4Q2

4Q2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2001
    I'm a player first, collector second. I won't say I'm ONLY a player, but the playing definitely comes first.

I don't intend to waste any $$ on "1st day" cards. I generally don't care if a card is wb, bb or foil. ... Or Japanese!!

But collecting is part of what interests me. I am fairly proud I have every Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, 3PO, R2, Lando and Obi-Wan from SWCCG. And I have every Jabba and Boba Fett, too. (Haven't had much luck with the VADERS though!!) Some are wb, some bb, and some foil, but that doesn't matter to me.

14. Gold_5

Gold_5 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2001
    HI!

Lemme give these a go: :)

>1. Are they worth the extra investment?

Yes and No. (now there's some abivilance) Lemme splain.

Yes if you are a collector.
    No if you are a player.

Pretty simple right? sortof..
    What happens when you fall into the "Player/Collector" category?

I would answer this in 2 ways. If you are a "Collector/Player" definately you'll want the 1st day. Because if/when you are ever bored with the cards, or your life changes and you put down the cards and move onto other things... You'll always have the premium collection which will hold it's value much better than the non-1st day cards.

If you are a "Player/Collector" (notice the distinction.. Player first then Collector), then you're choice is a more difficult one. I would say that for the most part, players like the 'neato' stuff (eg: foils, 1st Day, etc..) but for the most part they could care less if it is WB/BB/Foil or even dog bit. As long as it plays. Right, but what about that collector lurking in the back of your mind.... Well, it depends on what the collector wants to collect. It also depends on if they want their cards to have a higher re-sale value when the time comes to 'unload' them. I would say that for the most part. Players don't need to buy the 1st day stuff. Unless it becomes so scarce that the collectors are having a hard time obtaining it. And then it become GREAT trade bait for those excellent playing cards (like Vaders, Tramples, etc...)

>2. Is this idea better or worse than Limited/Unlimited as seen in other Decipher >ccgs? Why?

As a collector, I like it better, because what it really does is take a "limited" set and makes it "super-Limited" If you were to look at the print run quantites of the original SWCCG and the print run quantities of JKTCG, I bet that overall, you'd find that there is about the same amount printed for both games. However, JKTCG has a 'subset' of 1st day superlimited collectibles. This set is highly focused at the Collector market, and in reality is not intended for the players at all. While at the same time, if those players really wanted to collect/play with the 1st day set, the cards at totally compatible and they are free to do so.

>As a SWCCG player/collector like myself, is your first priority when >trading/buying playable cards or collectable cards

Funny, I do both, I always trade to complete my sets, and I won't trade a main for a junky card. Mains for mains, and if you don't have anything I need for my set and you want something of mine... I get the playable cards. Sometimes I get them anyway even tho I may not need them for my sets. Because, I know that I can always trade them away for better stuff.

Well, I hope this helps answer your questions...

Off to collect some more JK!!

Jim Colson
    Gold 5

(PS. I'll have to let you know how I do on my first 10 boxes of 1st day!) :)

15. JeetKuneMaul

JeetKuneMaul Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2001
    Hi there,

Being in the UK makes tracking cards quite hard and playing impossible unfortunately. :(

What is the best source for online card purchasing as I need quite a few foils to complete my YJ sets??

If anybody answers this many thanks in advance. :)

JKM

16. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    to be honest? ebay is probably you're best place, especially for the international folks. A lot of people will ship to at least Europe and some will even work with ya on the shipping rates.

17. Stranded in space

Feb 13, 2000
    I'm pondering over wither or not to get rid of my cards. I can either sell them or keep them and learn to play the game. In your opinion which should I do?

18. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Well, of course I would prefer someone to stay in the game as opposed to selling everything. A decision like that is really your call. If you want me to help you find a tourny in your area and/or people to play I can get you in touch with the right people. But you have to want to play too which I assume you do...

19. Stranded in space

Feb 13, 2000
    I want to learn.

20. JeetKuneMaul

JeetKuneMaul Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2001
    Thanks Red.

JKM :)

21. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Okay, I have a question.

I have a Premier Introductory 2 player set of SW:CCG cards upopened, still in it's origial platic wrap, and I was wondering:

1) Is this a hard to find item?

2) What's it worth?

3) Is it bound to go up in price?

22. Gold_5

Gold_5 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2001
    I agree with Red 84. Ebay is truly a buyer's market.

Another good place is the Decipher BBS. I've found that there are alot of folks out there that are willing to trade and sell. However, you must be careful. I've heard of many traders/sellers on the BBS that are unscrupulous. Get references, and check them out.

Another good place is NewsGroups. It's been a while since I've frequented them but that is where I got most of my deals prior to ebay. I'm sure there is one for SWCCG but I can't tell you what it is right now. Besides, you can have some fun exploring the various newsgroups for yourself anyway.

Ebay is much safer but not guaranteed. I would stick to those sellers that have above a 10 rating. Read their feedback, if it is from buying only. be sure about them before sending money.

as always, I'm usually open to do trades. As I have alot of 'collectible' items in reserve. Drop me a want/have list at Jimcolso@ix.netcom.com

Hope this helps

Jim Colson
    Gold 5

23. Gold_5

Gold_5 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2001
    Selling or keeping your cards for playing...

Well, I have to say, I can't count how many hours of fun I've had while playing and collecting SWCCG, YJCCG, and now... JKTCG. I have to say that if I was forced to choose between selling or playing? it would be a very easy choice.

Let me give you some more tips on your choice. Go to Decipher.com and got to the touraments area. Find your area and see what tournaments are being scheduled/played for your neck-o-the-woods. Go to one. Don't play. Just go see/watch. while your there, ask for someone to teach you how to play. Usually there is someone more than willing to do so.

Doing this will do 2 things for you:

1) introduce you to the basic game mechanics so you can make an informed decision. Remember, some people don't demo/teach very well, you might have to ask them to just focus on the 6 basic steps. Activate, Control, Deploy, Battle, Move, Draw. And the basic activities that occur within these steps. Meta-gaming techniques will come later. just get the basics down.

2) You begin to network. What I mean is that you get to know people who also love the game and collect as well. You'll find great enjoyment in the association you'll find with most of the people that play/collect this game. I have made MANY great friends across the US and Europe and across the Pacific as well. I have had many of these people as guests in my home. All because of SWCCG. I can't begin to tell you how much satisfaction and enjoyment the GAME has brought me. Not just playing the game but in meeting great people from all over the world. I've found that what you put into the game is what you get out of it.

I hope this helps.

Jim Colson
    Gold 5

24. Gold_5

Gold_5 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2001
    Premiere 2 player game.....

OK, Here is a good topic. Lemme see if I can answer your questions:

1) Is this a hard to find item?

Well, Actually, it has become difficult to find this item in it's 'normal' places.
    the normal places are places like K-mart, Wal-mart, Target, Toy-R-us, etc...
    The reason why is that they all clearanced them about 1 year ago. And you know how clearances go... $19.99 marked down to $12.99 marked down to $8.99 marked down to $4.99 marked down to $.99 So by the time it gets down to $.99 they are pretty much all get snatched up. Gone.

On the other hand, some smart shop owners (comic/card shops) noticed these drops in prices and bought a few themselves and have some stashed away and you can occasionally find them for sale at your local card shop (usually for $19.99) But even these are tending to becoming scarcer and scarcer.

2) What's it worth?

Well, now that's a toughie. This game was never distributed through Decipher's regular gaming distribution channels. It was distributed thru Parker Brothers. Parker Brothers had exclusive control of the distribution. While they did offer it via direct marketing, for the most part you had to buy it from the stores. If I were to venture to name a price. I would have to refer to what I saw the last one sell for on ebay. Sold for about $10 (after shipping). But as with any item. The price rises and falls with supply and demand. And Parker Brothers could decide to dump a load of them out of their warehouse at any time. It also could be that there are NONE left in their warehouse and that would be good for collectors. Recently Parker Brothers did this with the leftover HOTH 2 Player Games, they sold large quantites to the liquidator chain. "Everything's $.99"
    It was cool to find and buy one of these Rare and hard to find items for only $.99! Most people bought several.

3) Is it bound to go up in price?

If I could answer this with certainty I would surely be rich :) But I can offer some insight as the it's future value. As I previously stated, supply and demand affects this item in a signifiant manner. There was an extreme 'oversupply' of this item for quite some time in retail stores. For the most part the demand was met. So in effect the demand has probably been 99% satisfied. Now, if there are 10,000 collectors out there, 99% of that still leaves 100 people. So you see that while the future 'might' look bleak, in reality is has more potential to go up than down, because the supply is gone except for 2ndary market sources like yourself. I would expect to see this item creep up in price over the next several years, however, because of the amount produced/overproduced, it will never have any Substantial value (like $100+) because as soon as the price jumps over $30-$50 you will see 1,000's of these games all of a sudden show up for sale. I would say that this item will most likely stay in the $10-$25 value range for the next 10 years or maybe even 20.

I hope this helps! :)
    Jim Colson
    Gold 5

25. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Okay, then I have a follow up question.

Since I'm a player first, and collector second, and there is not a big potential of cash involved, should I keep it or open it for the cards?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.