main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Post your unanswered questions for TROS!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HevyDevy, Dec 18, 2019.

1. DarthRuckus

DarthRuckus Jedi Master star 1

Nov 17, 2013
    Can someone answer for me why Ochi went to Pasana? He presumably captured Rey's parents on Jakku but for some reason left with them and didn't look around for their daughter (whom Sidious had sent him to find- not someone I'd want to disappoint). I just don't get how all that worked. A crying little girl in the custody of Unkar Plutt on Jakku would have been pretty obvious. They need to do a novel about Ochi on his last mission while Luke and Lando are hunting him.

Also, who engraved the dagger with the coordinates of the Wayfinder on Kef Bir and why? Why have that on a dagger? If Palpatine wanted Ochi to bring Rey to him on Exogal, why not just tell him where the Wayfinder was hidden? Why didn't he get the Wayfinder first?

2. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I agree that their telling him she is not on Jakku is weak. It should be easier to search than Tatooine, for reasons similar to those pointed out by Lord Maul in Episode I. So they should have made sure he didn't even think of Jakku. Also, why did he kill them? Shouldn't he have brought them to Palpatine, or to a force adept more capable than himself if Lord Sidious was still under the weather?

I think the answer to this connects to the answer of the dagger. This is a point in Sith culture where dark ritual is an important element, and the plan must have been for Rey specifically to obtain this dagger that was used to kill her parents, so that she could hunt down the wayfinder and come "home." This would ensure that she would have rage to direct at the decrepit Dark Lord for the spirit bonding ritual. I'm not sure this is the only answer but it works for me. It also explains why the parents were killed rather hastily at Palpatine's order.

My guess about Ochi is that Luke and Lando actually hunted him to Pasanna, then he tried to get away but fell into the worm's pea sand trap. Being indigestible to the creature, he starved to death in the caverns but Luke and Lando lost the trail. I'm open to other ideas but this general framework puts it together for me.

3. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Addendum: I am pretty sure that ship belonged to Rey's parents, and Ochi stole it from them and kidnapped them in it, before murdering them at the order of the Emperor.

4. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Leia got stuck in the cave with the dogs and Rey freed them by moving rocks, yet in the next film Leia is training rey?

Leia also sends Han to die because he is his father he can help ben. Yet next year Leia just closes her eyes to fix ben with Rey doing 30 foot back flips moments earlier, even tho leia is the one training Rey?

If Palpatine can lift 1000 star destroyers out of the ground why can he not push down 1000 rebel ships into the ground?

Snoke stops rey from moving with no effort. If palpatine was behind snoke, why can't palpatine do this again?

Nom von Anor and Darth Smurf like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Rey has power, but Leia has knowledge and control.

Palpatine didn't lift those Star Destroyers - they lift themselves with their engines - repulsorlifts.

Palp_Faction and Ricardo Funes like this.
  6. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Agreed...not that I liked the character or his convoluted subplot, but it is kind of dumb that his last line in the saga is "maybe." That kind of leaves a viewer wondering if something more is going to come to resolve that maybe.

DannyD likes this.
  7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Ochi was tracked to Pasana by Luke and Lando. They were after Ochi long after he was already dead, Lando says that when they found the ship, there was no clue to the wayfinder, and did not see any sign of Ochi besides the ship, which they investigated but found nothing about the clue.

Which makes sense as Ochi fell into the quicksand, therefore Luke and Lando would never have found the blade (whih was the clue they were after (but notice that Luke and Lando only knew about "a clue", so they did not know exactly what it would be - in this case, a blade).

Ochi was on Pasana because... that's where he was. No special reason, he was there maybe to eat and rest a little before going to Exegol.

Unkar very likely was pleased to have a new "slave worker" and would have not presented Rey to Ochi. So Ochi left and while Rey was close enough to see the ship departing, Ochi had no idea she was there. For all he knew, Rey's parents could have left her anywhere in the galaxy.

It is not specified who engraved the blade. Ochi had it, but we dont know if he engraved it, or if it was engraved by other Sith Eternal cultists.

Ochi knew how to go to Exegol, Ochi did not need the blade. He carried the blade, and the engraving was something that the blade had, but as an ornament or a cultist-object thing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  8. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    According to the VD, 'Ochi was no mere relic hunter in the employ of the Empire's most sinister agents—he was also an assassin'.

This sounds as if he had been made to hunt a relic (the dagger) and then made to kill with it.

He was a pawn. The empire's most sinister agents at the time would have been the KOR (or Snoke and the KOR) In other words, Ochi was expendable once he had played his part. And he had. I think he was killed and left there, together with the blade, for Palpatine's heir to find it. Someone else knew the spot, with its quicksand and all.

I think there was a traitor involved. Someone who knew Rey's parents and also Ochi.

In the Rise of Kylo Ren comic, 'Ren' is searching for another KOR. A good candidate is that capable of 'using the shadow' (=being FS) and of causing 'good death' (killing a family member) What for?

The clan leader was credited as a KOR in TFA. That part of the vision happened some 6-7 years after Rey was left on Jakku. Ochi was dead by then, I think.

Rey speaks about 'family', not parents, the first time we see her. And in those leaks from 2015 Rey's 'parents',who 'belonged to the clan', escaped the (KOR) attack - but then 'the family dropped her off in jakku'. Rey only started to talk about her parents when Ben/Kylo started to talk about his.

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  9. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Why is Poe Dameroon wearing Nathan Drakes Clothes?

nilzo antonio likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Because Nathan Drake is awesome and Poe is awesome so it works. :p

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  11. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    The funny part is that he'd make for a decent Drake.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    You can also make the argument that Leia just woke up from a coma and sustained injuries after being subjected to deep space unprotected. She may have been too weak.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  13. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Palpatine thinks Snoke is no big deal. He made em. Why didn't palpatine make 10000 snokes? Hux says that the new breed of stormtroopers is superior to clones, but wouldn't an army of Snokes who can use the force and all are controlled by palpatine be much stronger?

14. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Leia being force-sensitive doesn't mean she can lift all those rocks or knows where to go. Even being trained she might not be able to do that. Per Luke's (presumably unguarded) statement in TLJ, Rey and Kylo have "raw power" unlike anyone he has ever trained, or perhaps anyone he has ever encountered (?) which can work for me if we assume that the imbalance in the Force severely weakened all good characters in episodes 1-6 and also that the Force Dyad is very powerful. So Rey's "raw power" is greater than Leia's.

The point about Snoke is very good, and I though his apparently effortless ragdoll force power where he just waves a finger and Rey is thrown about really works. However, (a) she trained a great deal before facing Palpatine and learned from her own mistakes and (b) Sidious is simply a different force user who might have different strengths and weaknesses and specific abilities or flourishes compared to Snoke. He probably had a failsafe to keep Snoke from betraying him, rather than simply counting on being more powerful. The incredible power of Snoke is an open question for me. I mean the guy created a force bridge between third parties, who would have died trying it themselves. Of course it looks like the power of the Dyad allowed Ren to use this even afterward but never mind.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    @cratylus

I think TROS creates some issues in the past films, about what I had said.

Maybe I'm in the minority, at least from what I gather from posting here, but I really liked Leia finding a way back to the ship in TLJ. I viewed it as a strong will to live, the will of the force. You mean it controls your actions/partially but it also obeys your commands. That sort of thing.

If theres one thing that has gotten lost in the minds of fans, it is that mysterious nature around the force. Everyone is crazy about calling things force power this or force power that or how did they learn this theres no training.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  16. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    I didn't mind Leia pulling herself back to the ship at all. My main problems until this last film have been the way three (3) characters seemed to not need any training to do serious stuff, and how force users seem to have powered up in general. The new film fised most of this, although I personally would rather not have needed these "fixes."

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    In The Phantom Menace we hear the Jedi speak of this great prophecy. It predates all the jedi on the council. It refers to the one who will bring balance to the force.

In Rise of Skywalker we hear Anakin tell Rey "bring balance as I have." So is there a new prophecy and if so who had written it or why would 1000 generations of jedi write a prophecy only to have it only take effect for 30 years?

So was Qui-Gon(one of if not the greatest Jedi of all-time, maybe only eclipsed by Luke) just plain wrong?

Darth Geezy likes this.
  18. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    The reason the Chosen One prophecy was a big deal to the Jedi was that the Chosen One would bring balance to the Force after it had been out of balance for 1000 years due to the parasitical nature of the Sith. By the time of the PT the scales had tipped completely in favour of the dark side which meant the Jedi were relatively weak. They couldn't even detect a Sith Lord who was in the same room as them! Mace complains that the Jedi's powers were weak in AOTC and Yoda confirms that the dark side clouds everything. The Chosen One reset the equilibrium the moment he destroyed Palpatine.

In the ST the Force is out of balance again as Palpy has returned from the grave BUT nowhere near to the extent that it was out of balance in the PT and OT as, like a virus, the Sith's "infection" of the Force was in it's very early stages. Fortunately the Sith were destroyed again before they could make any significant impact on the equilibrium. Also, the Jedi were more powerful than they were in the PT and OT as the Sith no longer monopolized the Force and were able to destroy the Sith once and for all through Rey.

The equilibrium will always wobble and be reset like we saw in the ST. The reason the prophecy of the Chosen One was significant was because the Chosen one was going to rescue the Force from complete darkness.

HevyDevy and cratylus like this.
  19. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    I think the force wobbled a bit after the balance was first restored, but made permanent by Rey with the assiduous help of Anakin Skywalker's offspring. Part of his influence on the balance came through them.

20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I want to know where the blue lightsaber in Maz's came from.

21. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Maz stole it from the code breaker. Maz woke up first.

22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I legitimately don't know if you're joking.

Did she actually get the saber from the code-breaker?

He could do anything afterall :p

23. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Are the Storm Troopers at the end(where they are running on top of star destroyers) First Order troopers or something new? Were they slaves like first order? Because I think this is a stupid theme in the film, which i will say as follows.

-Finn escapes mind conditioning.

-Finn knows about the mind conditioning yet battles troopers in Force Awakens.

-Finn learns he has inspired troops to drop down their weapons.

-his new inspiration leads to..........more killing of First Order troops.

Shouldn't Finn and Jannet tried to rally more troops or maybe start to see killing these groups is not the right thing to do, seeing as finn is staring it in the face that many others *could* change?

24. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Despite rumors to the contrary related to clothing in the lead-up, the visual dictionary laid out what always seemed the most logical. They came from Palpatine’s Sith fleet and were part of his contingency planning for the fall of the Empire. The Final Order by way of the first and with joining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Hmm that doesn't make much sense. Why not just use those guys from the start?

Isn't Finns batch the first generation(assuming the mind conditioning started soon after jedi?) How would palpatine know all this if he's dead?

Okay. So that's the basis for JJs ideas. It makes sense. After Return of the Jedi, the sith still have a following, which we never see. They are on this planet called exegol. These red troopers are are more in line with royal guards. The closer you get to palpatine the more deadly the weapons are. These Sith-church like monks are probably JJs version of his staff in the throne room in Rotj. So, after palpatine has been destroyed, it is this group of people that try to bring him back.

But, the way it transpires and what is said does not add up.

However this should have been better communicated to the audience.