main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Potential remnants of Lord and Miller's vision

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gamma626, May 25, 2018.

1. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    So just reflecting on the film, and the trailers, one thing that stood out was the "Han applies for the academy" scene, which was drastically different from that of the teaser. Think the teamster might have been Lord and Miller's take?

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Qi'ra's line "You look good." was definitely from L&M. The cut right after it was noticeably a different day. It was the only chink in the armor that I noticed.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I thought Han and Chewie's meeting, and Lando's holo-journal, were distinctly Lord and Miller. Just on the edge of caricature, without being caricature.

4. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Most Lando sequences seem to be either Lord and Miller, or very similar. Donald Glover specifically recalled not having to reshoot very much, and his switch to working with Ron Howard went smoothly. The Han/Chewie scene does seem Lord and Miller, but I can also see it very much so being the Kasdan's. It's hard to say on that.

As far as Dryden, I'm sure that was all a jumbled mix of both crew's. They re-casted Dryden and had to re-do all of his scenes, so I'm sure bits and bobs from that are both teams. I feel like large swaths of Corellia was reshoots too. (the detonator seemed Lord and Miller as well)

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    All of Dryden was Ron Howard. Howard cast him.

6. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I mean the whole sequences of being in his ship, IE Qi'Ra and Han talking, Han and Chewie, and Han/Beckett. I'm sure some of that drifts between. The "eyes down" joke in particular seemed like Lord and Miller.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Anyways I'm glad they were let go. I have a feeling that if they released Lord and Miller's vision it would have been a comedic movie all the way through. Star Wars has bits and pieces of comedy but as a whole it is a lot more serious than most comedies.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I actually think if it were a more delirious, rip-roaring, zany comedy, it might have worked better overall, but potentially pissed off too many Star Wars fans. Probably the right choice by KK, but I’m curious about any early L&M cut...

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This is fascinating to think about, and I really hope that LFL chooses to be transparent and forthcoming about the production process when they make behind-the-scenes material for the DVD. I need to see it a second time, but I felt like there were some problems with the editing, like scenes were getting crammed together when they should have flowed more naturally. The fact that the train heist, meeting with Vos, and recruitment of Lando all happened on Vandor felt too convenient and I wonder if it had always been planned that way or if that was part of the re-shoots. In terms of comedy, I thought almost all of it was fine, although L3 was bad. There weren't many outright gags like in TLJ, so I'm curious as to what KK felt needed to be reigned in. I remember reading that Lord and Miller were having some of the cast do improvisation, and actually, I think the movie could have used more of that at times. The campfire scene in particular could have been longer and looser to show the crew getting to know each other.

Hopefully we get to hear more, because I think the film is a success overall and the story of its production would be interesting.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Hypatia, Xander Vos and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It's a real credit to Howard that the film is as cohesive as it is. There's almost nothing jarring about the overall flow of the film.

11. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
  12. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I LOVED Lando's holovid scene. Added a ton of wrinkle to his character.

13. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I thought that Beckett's comment about hurting his thumbs felt very "improv-y" and almost out of character, so I feel like that was L&M.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I loved that. Laughed out loud. Wanted more of it, even though it was silly.

15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I doubt we’ll ever get a full run down of the process and what went wrong and what remained.

Snafu55 likes this.
  16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    One thing we know for sure, all of Paul Bettany's scenes were done by Howard because the that character was recast after the director switch.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. And apart from the music, those are IMO some of the best scenes in the film. So kudos to Howard, and I don’t say that often.

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It seems that 99% of the jokes were kept from the old directors.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Would be interesting to know exactly what the 30% they shot was......

20. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I would hire those guys to write all the Star Wars jokes from now on. Just for that. :)

I did not notice, were their names mentioned in the end credits ?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  21. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I think that L3 was a very much a holdover from L&M. Her (I'm just basing L3's gender off of the voice actress) dialogue and behavior had the feel of some of their earlier work.

22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The Han and Chewie shower scene had Lord and Miller written all over it, IMO.

23. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I recall seeing that they were listed as Executive Producers in the end credits.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The Mimban troopers who threw Han into the pit with Chewie were pure L and M.

"Don't care!"

"Yeah, kill him slower!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I saw it a second time (awake since it wasn't 2 am) - 100% agree that the Chewie and Han meeting scenes, Landos' Hawaiian shirt scene and Lando's chronicles, were influenced by Lord and Miller.