main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Potential Threats/Antagonists For New Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by King Maul, Jan 5, 2018.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where are you getting that from?

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    From everything we know and learned about the Jedi.in various medias.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    Or depending on how the rest of High Republic plays out, a certain threat to Force users from that era.

4. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    It’s looking more and more like the main villains of the new Star Wars movies will be, the fans of Star Wars

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Potential villains for The Mandalorian and Grogu film:

- Thrawn or his agents: Particularly if the film comes out before the Ahsoka film, establishing and reinforcing Thrawn to a larger audience would be smart, even if he uses some catspaw or subordinate as The Heavy against Din.

- Gideon or his clone: Could happen, even if it'd be cheesy.

- New villains like a specific Imperial warlord, or even an evil Mando.

6. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I’ve always gotten villain vibes from Armorer, and she’s had some sketchy/manipulative behavior. Wouldn’t surprise me if she’s been a secret villain all along.

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  7. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I'd be okay(and perhaps even love it) with the Armorer being revealed as a villain during Season three, but after that, eh, I don't think it would make a lot of sense. It could be done, I guess, but I feel like the moment for that has passed.

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I never got the sense the Armorer was a villain or even suspicious. I feel like it may have felt that way because she went against what we knew of the mandos from Clone Wars so you would assume this new character would be sus. But she seems to have always been a fair character in her own religious view point

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Which can only be a good thing.

10. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Don't know. its the whole you can't take your helmet off thing that i think people went huh? weird! sus!

11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The type of story the Armorer could bring as an antagonist is what I’d love - a spiritually challenging, identity crisis creating, lore deep diving, and incredibly personal story for Din with complex moral and cultural questions…

…But I got to agree with @Nom von Anor that the time to tell that story was Season 3 - by which I mean that Season 3 seemed to either be predicated upon the idea of the Armorer and her group totally not being fanatics, despite appearances, lore implications, dubious priorities, and problematic aspects with their portrayal and actions… or at least to try and create the idea that time had moved them past their issues and their social mores shouldn’t be critically analyzed for this type of escapism.

There’s definitely some implication that Favreau may have realized what moral ambiguity and dark journeys of the soul for Din he was setting up before Season 3, and then resolved to move completely away from that before it got too entrenched.

- He definitely did some pseudo-retconning in some areas; let’s face it, The Children of the Watch were clearly implied and almost explicitly stated to be the ones who honored the madness of the Darksaber tradition, not the Nite Owls, until Season 3 reversed that.

- He also seemed to definitely try to, as quickly and bluntly as possible, clear the Children of the Watch of any consequences or reveals from direct ties to the Death Watch; that quick, ambiguous but firm brushing aside of Death Watch in the finale of a rushed and too-neat Mandalore arc was there for some reason after all.

- And his season arc doesn’t really work if the Armorer isn’t just “The Yoda for Heroic Mandalorians” and the Creed isn’t “Totally Cool and Heroic, Yo;” a bunch of us may have still felt the inherently creepy vibes of the cult-like vibe of the Children, but that might have been something Favreau actually liked and regarded as an important part of the formula.

I mean, it’s entirely possible that Favreau just really liked some “Mystery Religion” and “Proud Warrior Race” tropes for his Mandos, realized what that reads like in Star Wars’s universe, and since he didn’t want to go down that pathway, that’s what pushed him to so suddenly wrap up the story in direct contrast to the set-up.

Glitterstimm and Nom von Anor like this.
  12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I never got a sense it was a mystery religion. I thought from the start it was all an excuse to not have the Mandos take of their helmets. The way Boba Fett shouldn't have because he was cooler that way (wink wink). There was likely no other reason behind it other than that IMO. Even the explanation to it all seemed a bit throw away in series 2 when Bo-Katan did appear and give a parallel.

While the armorer doesn't feel suspicious or like a villain because she has expressed no suspicious behavior. Din asks her advice about the child, she says the child must be taken back to his people... whats wrong with that? Nothing. she gave advice that would benefit the child and not herself. When Din brought the dark saber to her, she didn't show any suspicious behavior like trying to take it from him, She says well its yours now. So says the religion. She done nothing and said nothing suspicious. Even in series 1 so its not like there was a change as the shows went on.

Obviously the issue is she expresses views different to the Mandos we seen previously. So clearly she has to be a villain. When it seems in writing the character, she was just meant to be the head of Dins Mando tribe. Not someone who was in the wrong and polluting the Mando gene pool. She cared about the Mandos. the clan just followed a different path of Mandos.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    Sarge likes this.
  13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The Armorer is like the rest of the Mandos in the Tv show, including Bo Katan - inoffensive and functionally acceptable as heroic if you don’t ask too many questions, don’t want the context of the older stories applied to it, and don't make too many comparisons to other Mandos from the franchise. Like Bo Katan, that means making them much less interesting than if we grappled with the ugly side and darker implications of *everything,* but it’s not odious or totally hypocritical, just sort of boring and overly simplistic.

They *do* get mildly sinister in the larger context, and could be much more sinister with barely any effort at all… but yeah, it’s only with larger context where that happens.

…However, that doesn’t mean you couldn’t bring in someone like an Imperial Super Commando warlord working for the Shadow Council for The Mandalorian movie, and cover a “less dangerous” version of the type of story the Armorer or Bo Katan could (…or should :p) have done.

You could sort of let the imperial allegiance of an ISC member cloud the issue enough that if he brings up why he thinks he’s a great Mandalorian and that the Empire is a worshipful ideal of Mandalorian warmongering even if they destroyed his planet, his allegiance would allow fans/creators who don’t want the deconstructive element of TCW’s defining Mandalorian stuff to completely ignore it.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  14. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Or him and Boba teaming up to take on the newly reorganized Crimson Dawn :cool:

15. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Would be great.
    Xizor and Black Sun can also be an interesting opponents, especially if Din worked for this organization during the Imperial era.

Jo Lucas and CernStormrunner like this.
  16. Bob_Fortuna

Bob_Fortuna Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2024
    Too many returning EU characters. I'd like to see something original: something non-personal like a 'villain' and more like some kind of disappearance of the Force or something.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh god, yes. Give us more Qi'ra!

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The Kalessh, revenge of General Grevious. Lets see more of his people. Grevious had 17 wives and 50 children.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    :eek:
    I can't find any such info in the Canon section about Grievous on Wookieepedia. According to Legends, it seems, he had ten wives and thirty children.

But either way, it could be interesting to see more kaleesh!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d be fine with never seeing or hearing about him or his species ever again.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well then… YOU. ARE. DOOOOOOMED.

Lulu Mars and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    How about a former friend or colleague of Ben Solo's who was Luke's kind of right hand man/lead padawan at the time of the massacre. He ran away and was not involved but, because of the events that took place. feels there needs to be a balance of the Force and not this polarizing good and bad side. He went away to study the ways of the Dai Bendu in an effort to restore the Force to its ancient roots while gathering a league of his own followers. He's kind of a "gray" villain who seems to start off as an ally but whose intentions become clear to wipe out the Jedi and restore the Force to its "rightful state".

And this gray jedi could have a contact in Rey's order who actually steals parts of the ancient texts to help this gray Jedi find out more about this balance that needs to be achieved.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Being "gray" and wanting to wipe out the Jedi... no, that's just generic dark side, Sith in all but name.

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Would like if the film would start with Rey and her allies dealing with some secondary antagonists (RotJ-style) - whether criminals, the last Imperial remnant or someone else, thus by showing both the New (New) Jedi Order in action and current political situation in the GFFA.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Then the main antagonists being from within the order itself?