main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Potential Threats/Antagonists For New Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by King Maul, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Im fine with both Vong-like attack and another Sith grand plan-like threats. There are many ways to make interesting and intriguing plot involved Sith and Jedi without repeating PT plot, just like in our reality.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Some things that probably would NOT work, or wouldn't be that original or interesting:
    • I hope we do NOT see a version of Abeloth... that's basically just an overpowered Sith.
    • An alien invasion by itself does NOT make an interesting threat for a trilogy, unless they pose some ideological/philosophical questions, otherwise it's just "everyone unites to defeat the outside invaders." (Though if they were decentralized and nomadic, no single overlord/capital/ship to take out, it was just in their culture to either conquer or pillage or massacre, it would require a very different strategy at least.)
    • I do hope we see a GFFA where droids have full rights, BUT a trilogy about it would be boring. It would be awful to depict the droids as the bad guys, if they're just fighting for equal rights. The outcome would be obvious: they gain equal rights (unless you want to be super-depressing). I want to see droids gain rights, but it doesn't need a trilogy to get us there, it can happen between movies.
    • With the movie "Solo," we have now already gotten a movie with the criminal underworld as the main bad guys. And it didn't seem particularly interesting.
    • We have already gotten corporations as the bad guys in the Prequels, and alluded to in TLJ too.

What could work?

We haven't yet seen a more feudal galaxy, divided into dozens/hundreds/thousands of small kingdoms or republics, a "GoT" in space. Though it is the kind of galaxy the Confederacy/Separatists were fighting for. I wouldn't want to see it in the "future." But perhaps in the past, what the galaxy looked liked before the Republic. Each Sith Lord having his/her own Jedi Knights to rule over their mini-kingdom, with the Sith Lords constantly at war with one another to expand power. Until the Jedi Knights discover the Force isn't only a tool but has its own will, and decide to side with the oppressed peoples of all the feudal kingdoms, go "order 66" against their Sith Lords, and help form the first Galactic Republic. With some Sith Lords not necessarily being dark, and their descendants being the leftover nobility we see in the Saga, where titles like Princess of Alderaan and Count Dooku originate from, the old Pre-Republic feudal system.

Other things I'd like to see:
    • antagonists who create a virus that desensitizes the Jedi to the Force
    • a new-canon version of Pius Dea (anti-alien Human Supremacist crusaders) as an enemy, either in the very old Republic era, or "modern" times, or even something that pops up throughout galactic history?
    • a morally-ambiguous Force-user who leads an anarchist movement to liberate worlds from the Hutts but with ruthless and bloody methods
    • anarchist terrorists striking at the Republic, and perhaps even being successful and leading to a genuine authoritarian counter-movement to restore order (what Palpatine pretended to be, someone truly reluctant to take more power to bring back peace), could be an interesting story set in the past of the Old Republic.
    • a new-canon version of the Fel Empire and its Imperial Knights and Victory Without War programs like the Imperial Mission, existing either in the distant past or emerging out of the Unknown Regions between ROTJ and TFA
    • a villain replicating Death Star technology and similar dangerous tech, but not to impose control, it's an organization that actively wants to just kill all life and destroy all planets and stars, reducing everything to nothing
    • an empire arising in the galaxy that's very different in ideology and style, more totalitarian and caste-based, perhaps even led by misguided puritan Jedi
    • a hero set in the time of still-lightside but more elitist Jedi who just enforce corrupt Republic laws & covert operations and don't understand a situation and we actually cheer for the protagonist to defy the Jedi
    • transhumanist/transorganic antagonists (or protagonists) that really explore that theme for the first time in Star Wars
    • exploring other Jedi factions in older time-periods, or perhaps post-TROS non-Jedi, light-side organizations (such as Jedi, or Jedi-like beings, who are: (1) more wandering mystical do-gooders than centralized bureaucracy with a governing council, (2) who don't serve the Republic but serve another government, (4) who don't serve any government, (5) more on those who are the non-sensitives that still follow Jedi teachings, (6) Jedi who allow marriages, children, families, (7) Jedi who have multiple career paths beyond warrior or monk, such as Jedi doctors, Jedi teachers, Jedi scientists, etc.

KSennia and Paparazzo like this.
  3. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Pius Dea was just abeloth cultists larping as political figures with anti alien agendas in the Republic

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just like the idea of a Human Supremacist villain

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The Mandalorian Empire.

zackm likes this.
  6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I wanna see in The Old Republic or Post Episode 9, a Dark side cult more Evil than the Sith it can scare the audience in there seats. A threat so bad in The Old Republic even the Sith groups have to become aliies with the Jedi.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    As much as I am looking forward to The Mandalorian show and think it looks awesome and everything, I've gotta say that Mandalorians are overhyped and overused. So no more Mandalorians please.

I would love a Knights of Ren movie though!

8. I want to see a movie where the Jedi are the Villains but maybe is too deep for Disney

Blueandwhite likes this.
  9. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    You think they'd pass on that because it's too deep?

10. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Was just thinking about the unfinished (technically, barely started is more accurate) sequel to The Lord of the Rings, https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/The_New_Shadow :

"I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men, it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing."
    ―from The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter to Colin Bailey

Something like this could be adapted for Star Wars, Sith-worshipping cults of non-Force sensitives causing trouble. Though now that I think about it thats probably what the Knights of Ren are.

Ghost likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know if I'd call it deep, but I dislike the idea. It could be done in an interesting way, but I prefer a bit more fairytale good and evil in my Star Wars, and the Jedi should be a force for good.

12. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    i remember a fan fic from yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaars ago, where Luke's Jedi Order became less centralized and more spread out across the galaxy. Eventually it lead to a Jedi Civil war with the Jedi Council on one side, and the more nomadic jedi on the other

Lord Sith Harloxzz likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Also, see my thoughts on the top of this page (page 4).

14. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    So... there was a show on Fox forever ago called Dark Angel. Most people may remember it as where Jessica Alba got her big break.

Anyway, in the second season, they introduced a cult as the big bads:

The Breeding Cult is a centuries old cult that has practiced selective breeding for thousands of years.
    The purpose of the Breeding Cult is to create the most superior human being possible.
    The Breeding Cult opposes genetic manipulation of any kind
    https://darkangel.fandom.com/wiki/Breeding_Cult

So this cult bred humans with extraordinary physical abilities. They were stronger and faster than the protagonist, who herself was a genetic chimera pretty much on par with superheros like Captain America or Wolverine.

What if there were a group of non-Force sensitives, who grew sick and tired of the constant Jedi / Sith wars? Good, bad, doesn't matter. All Force users are trouble. So they start a program. Selective breeding, genetic modification. Creating beings with superior strength, speed. Resistance to mental manipulation. Maybe some type of Force-stealth like the Yuuzhan Vong have. Slowly, quietly, over the centuries building up an army, sneaking around and putting a blade in the back of anyone suspected of being a potential Jedi or Sith.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So they were the Bene Gesserit?

16. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    sort of, except instead of mental / spiritual powers they went all physical. I dont think they went too deep with them in the show, and it was cancelled before season 3

17. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Ah, Dark Angel, good times.

Really need to do a re-watch of that one of these days, it's only been, oh, 15+ years. The good ol' days. I got major Dark Angel vibes from Cameron's recent Alita flick too, somehow.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  18. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Corporate middle management. See "Aliens" 1986.

19. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    I wouldn't mind seeing a movie where all of the force users were villains and the main heroes were not force sensitive. It would make victory for the franchise's heroes seem more epic as they would be clear underdogs instead of chosen gods who simply need to accept their fates.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah normal people versus Force user could be interesting, see how Vader wreck'd an entire hallway of folks. What if they had a co-ordinated defense against space magic?

21. Not all the Jedi are necessarily "good" not everyone was like Yoda, Qui Gon or Obi Wan
    and the prequels have made it clear that the Jedi defended a corrupt republic for years so they were not saint
    Politics and complex themes is what I want to see in Star Wars i want mature stories not everything in Star Wars should be white or black or family friendly but is my opinion

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    in the past we should be hgetting intresting politics involving the jedi ad their order. in the fureture after TROS, i think we would be getting different jedi around the galaxy serving the galaxy as the keepers of peace and justice. they will return to be monks like they once were. I suspect they use almost every temple they have and have sme reside there and keep rest of the jedi on tabs. We may get some some jedi in poolitics but not the whole order. I think we wll have jedi in Corusant again but only a hundred if anything and others spread across the stars. I think poltitics and the jedi will always be at odds. wether they join a new republic or stay near as this guardian religionto help in whenever darkness rises. I don't think the sith will rise again after ix, but i could see similar force user to Snoke and Ben to come out of the wed work to try and challange the jedi. Maybe in fureture we get some kinda ancient race to strike back.

23. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    Eckhart's Ladder had a recent video up about how the Empire would fare against the Yuuzhan Vong. The idea was that if the Rebels has lost at Endor, and the Vong invaded in 25 ABY like they did in the books. Made me wonder if Star Wars could ever do something along the lines of a mirror universe, like in Star Trek.
    Imagine a portal of some sort opens up and a fleet of SSD's and ISD's comes pouring through, with the Eclipse at the head of the fleet commanded by Thrawn

KSennia likes this.
  24. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Kevin Feige is a potential future threat.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    one movie of feige about aliens invading, seems his thing.