main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Power Rangers] The Rainbow Connection (drabble series, author replies and third update 9/2)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by thesporkbewithyou, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Title: The Rainbow Connection
    Author: thesporkbewithyou
    Fandom: Power Rangers (yes, Power Rangers...)
    Genra: everything
    Summary: A series of drabbles involving characters from all seasons
    A/N: I originally put this up on ff.net, and have thirteen completed sets that I'm bringing over. More are on the way, and will be added as they come. And yes, there will be spoilers for every season, except mostly for In Space, and Lost Galaxy which I know nothing about.

Set 1 - Sunrise Sunset

POV: Red - random evil, Orange - Jason Scott, Yellow - Dustin Brooks

Red

They throw foot soldier after foot soldier, monster after monster at them and still, they survive, something that should not be physically possible. No normal person could survive as many battles as they do and still come out strong. Even spells and potions are shaken off with the help of a friend.

Sometimes, they wonder if they should just give up and drop their conquest. But then their adversary does or says something that makes them remember why they started it in the first place.

And somehow, they still think it's all worth it in the end.

Even if they see red after every battle.

Orange

?What do you think, Jase?? she asks, holding up our five month old son.

With no offense meant to any former blue Rangers, we had requested that people not send us too many blue articles of clothing. Not only is it stereotypical, but it gets boring seeing our kid in the same color every day. So as a joke, someone sent us an orange pajama set.

I nod approvingly, though that particular shade of orange makes me want to barf. ?He looks great Trini. We've got a real heart breaker here.?

She grins at me. ?You lie like a rug.?

Yellow

Strong-willed, competitive... not unless he was on his bike.

Soft spoken, flowery, feminine... definitely no.

So then what was he doing in yellow spandex? Yeah, Sensei told them that earth was an element most often connected to males, but why couldn't the uniform have been another color? Like brown. Maybe then he wouldn't get teased so much. Not that they ever said anything, but he could see the laughter in their eyes every time they morphed.

He was Dustin Brooks, the first male yellow Ranger.

And yet, it was the only color he could ever see himself in. Just like Shane was undeniably red, and Tori blue. Even Hunter and Blake seemed suited to their colors, though it felt weird to have two red and two blue Rangers.

A blast that came from nowhere sent him flying, and he struggled to get himself up as his teammates rushed to his side.

?Time to show these guys we mean business!? Shane said.

He finally managed to stand up, and stood beside his leader.

?Ninja Storm, Ranger form!? they called as one, and he felt a sense of peace envelope him as he morphed.

Maybe the Power did get it right.

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Liked the Orange pajama set. Good drabbles. :)

3. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Very intresting on the Red pov. Don't often see things from the other side.

Loved Orange. Jason/Trini is such a sweet couple, and even that snippet shows it.

Have to feel for Dustin, even if I don't know anything really about Ninja Storm.

Great work altogether. :)

4. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    DaenaBenjen42: Liked the Orange pajama set. Good drabbles. happy

I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for reading,

Neon Star: Very intresting on the Red pov. Don't often see things from the other side.

Loved Orange. Jason/Trini is such a sweet couple, and even that snippet shows it.

Have to feel for Dustin, even if I don't know anything really about Ninja Storm.

Great work altogether. happy

No, you almost never do. It was a fun one to write because of that reason, and also of the challenge of compressing all the many villians down into one, so to speak.

I'm so glad you guys liked Orange! That happens to be my favorite one out of the whole lot.

Ninja Storm isn't my favorite season - it could have been done a whole lot better. In fact, I think that Dino Thunder is the improved version. But anyway, I always like Dustin because he seemed the most real to me. And I always wondered how he felt wearing the Yellow spandex.

A/N: New update this week, guys! I'm posting these two (Black and Green respectively) out of the order that I posted them on ff.net, because I figured that I should keep the ones inspired by the colors together. Of course, that means that after this week the next colored updates might take a while to come because I never finished the rest of the colors.

Anyway, enjoy!

POV: Black - Zack; Green - Taylor

Black

They all had their place on the team: it was crystal clear why Zordon had chosen them.

Jason was the leader, and everyone's older brother.

Trini was the group's psychologist, always there to lend a listening ear and willing to help anyone work out their problems.

Kimberly was the heart of the team. She kept them all working together and planned the various social events and outings that kept them sane between battles and schoolwork.

Even Billy had his purpose. He helped Zordon maintain all of the zords and other bits of technology they used. He also kept them on track with school, so they didn't have to worry about that interfering with anything.

But what about him?

He was the funny man, sure, but was that really what he wanted to be remembered for? Stupid jokes and wise-cracks had nothing on courageous acts. No. He wanted to leave behind a legacy. Something he would be proud to be remembered by. Something that would have kids and adults alike saying, ?I want to be just like the Black Ranger!?

Something that mattered.

Something real.

Something that said: Zack Was Here.

Green

It wasn't that she thought he was a bad leader. If she were honest with herself, she would admit that he was, in fact, a really good leader. His first time out he'd gotten the Wildzords to come down from the Animarium, something that she had never been able to do. He'd also gotten them to form the Megazord, which gave them another powerful tool to combat Master Org's Orgs with.

What really made her unhappy with Cole was the fact that he was so green, in every sense of the word. It was going to take an insane amount of time and effort just to help him adjust to living the life of a normal human being, besides for the combat training that she, and maybe even Alyssa were going to have to give him. And that was time they just didn't have. They never knew when Master Org was going to send down an army of Putrids, or a monster, and they always had to be prepared to meet their foe.

She wondered if the Princess really knew what she was doing when she allowed Cole to be the red Ranger.

She prayed he wouldn't get them killed.

5. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    These just get better and better. :)

Something that mattered.

Something real.

Something that said: Zack Was Here.

What was Zack's purpose? The tension-breaker in the heat of the moment, and the wild card. Sure, Billy can make a gizmo that'll save the day, and Trini can talk them through things, and Jason leads, and Kim can organize the down time, but... who makes them laugh in the worst of situations and makes things not seem so bad? That, right there, says "Zack was here." He might not have thought so himself, but he DID matter.

I didn't watch Wild Force (minus the awesome Forever Red and the Time Force/Wild Force crossover), but loved that one. Taylor's POV on Cole was interesting.

Well done and wonderful drabbles. :)

6. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Zack!

He was the funny man, sure, but was that really what he wanted to be remembered for? Stupid jokes and wise-cracks had nothing on courageous acts. No. He wanted to leave behind a legacy. Something he would be proud to be remembered by. Something that would have kids and adults alike saying, ?I want to be just like the Black Ranger!?

:_| I feel so guilty. I think Zack is the Power Ranger I recite last, if that makes any sense; he's the last one that comes to mind. But, like Daena said, there is something to be said about the ones that can make you laugh during the worst of times. I would say there's a measure of courage in that, and that isn't a bad thing to be remembered for. When we were younger, my brother did always say he wanted to be the Black Ranger.

Awesome job! Well-written Power Ranger stories are very hard to find.

7. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Mucho apologies guys! But there was a whole big rush what with school starting and me also starting a new job and everything. But have no fear! Now that my schedule is more regular, the updates will hopefully be regular to.

So this week's won't be part of the color set, because like I said, I don't have any more written and it might be a while before they do get written. But I hope you enjoy this week's all the same.

On to the replies!

DaenaBenen42: These just get better and better. happy

Aww! [face_blush] I'm so happy you like them! Drabbles happen to be both fun, and a challenge to write.

What was Zack's purpose? The tension-breaker in the heat of the moment, and the wild card. Sure, Billy can make a gizmo that'll save the day, and Trini can talk them through things, and Jason leads, and Kim can organize the down time, but... who makes them laugh in the worst of situations and makes things not seem so bad? That, right there, says "Zack was here." He might not have thought so himself, but he DID matter.

Oh, I completely agree with you here. Yet with a lot of other things I've read or watched, whenever there was a class clown character or a jokester, or someone like that, there was usually an episode with them stating how tired they were of only being known for that. And I started to wonder if Zach felt like that at any point, even though they didn't show it (of course, they weren't much into showing the darker emotions that the kids must have felt one time or another, but that's besides the point).

I didn't watch Wild Force (minus the awesome Forever Red and the Time Force/Wild Force crossover), but loved that one. Taylor's POV on Cole was interesting.

Oh, but you really must! Besides for Time Force and Dino Thunder, Wild Force was really one of the best seasons out there. Yes, the crossover was awesome, wasn't it? :D

Thank you! I never like the idea that Taylor didn't like Cole because he was taking her place as the leader. That just didn't seem very... Power Rangers-y to me. And I was looking for a way to put a different spin on the word green. Hence, this drabble.

Thanks for reading!

MarasFire: cry I feel so guilty. I think Zack is the Power Ranger I recite last, if that makes any sense; he's the last one that comes to mind. But, like Daena said, there is something to be said about the ones that can make you laugh during the worst of times. I would say there's a measure of courage in that, and that isn't a bad thing to be remembered for. When we were younger, my brother did always say he wanted to be the Black Ranger.

Awesome job! Well-written Power Ranger stories are very hard to find.

*hands over a tissue* Don't feel bad! I'm guilty of that too. Maybe because he is the last Ranger, in a way. But that's an interesting way to describe it - "measure of courage". Never really thought about it that way before. Mind if I use that some time?

I'm so glad you liked these! I can definitely give you some good recommendations for fics that I've found, if you like. Most of the stuff out there is complete junk, but once in a while you can find something pretty good.

Thanks for reading!

Onto the drabbles!

Author's Note: Admittedly I know bubkes about In Space and Lost Galaxy, but I've always been fascinated by Andromeda/Karone.

POV: Silence - Eric; Burden - Karone

[/i]Silence[/i]

Sometimes, silence could be a more eloquent answer than even the most well crafted speech. When Taylor said nothing after he'd finally worked up the courage to pop the question, Eric had assumed the worse, and cursed himself for being such an idiot. Why did he assume that just because he thought they were ready for the next step, she thought so too.

When the silence stretched with seemingly no end, he started looking for a way to back out gracefully, until she finally decided to end his misery.

?There,? Taylor said. ?Now you know how it feels.?

He looked at her in confusion, but she just grinned, then helped him shakily sl

8. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Oh sure, go ahead. Thanks for asking!

And yeah, I'll read anything that you recommend. :)

9. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Taylor's feelings as he asked the question... wow. Liked that.

The one with Karone... despite her wanting to get out of the leather, and everything it stands for, maybe it's not the leather itself, but the feelings it envokes. She wore it even when she could have just as easily worn something pink during Lost Galaxy and no one would have batted an eye, so... maybe it provides a sense of 'home' where everything is unfamiliar.

Very good. Liked 'em. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.