main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Possibly both?

B99 likes this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'll have to look into it.. See if I can find any sets of it..

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That scene was done in the September 2004 pickups, they rarely build full sets for those.

There was an earlier scene that ultimately got cut / changed to happen somewhere else, in which Yoda, Obi Wan and Mace were discussing Anakin in Yoda's "office". Maybe they had build a set for that one.

Mostly Handless and B99 like this.
  4. JediMasterAang

JediMasterAang Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2015
  5. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    PT Tatooine :)

Andy Wylde and Alienware like this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    PT Tatooine and Naboo were the best-looking planets, IMO, followed closely by Coruscant.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Love that final tattooine sunset at the iris out of ROTS. I had that shot as a PC wallpaper for the longest time! I remember hearing so many people talk about how fake it looked, and I was like "Have you never seen a beautiful sunset/rise that hits the clouds just right before?I've SEEN sunsets in person here in CO that looked just like that!!" (I actually have a photo of one from years ago).

I actually happen to be watching my way thru the saga at this moment (with the imminent release of Rogue One), and I'm on AOTC right now. It's been about 6 months since I've seen them last-which is longer than normal. And say what one will about the acting/dialogue etc...I'm once again reminded just how BEAUTIFUL these films are!!!! And I'm not going to get into the whole "whether the CG looked fake or not" thing. IMO BOTH the PT and OT have an equal amount of examples regarding "fakeness."

Tonyg and Mostly Handless like this.
  8. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    What an awesome thread! I've officially finished every single page!

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    A sentiment that anecdotally seems to be more common among those who liked it when the PT did planets that were in the OT ethic (though totally impossible for the time) at least were within the imagination of what could be an extension.

Yet Kamino's Tipoca City (exterior) and Mustafar are hardly that much further off of that ethic. It's only Geonosis, Utapau and Kashyyyk that are very "alienish".

Andy Wylde, DARTH_BELO and B99 like this.
  10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

I like the design of Tipoca City's exterior. Mustafar is just Ryan Church-ugly for me, and I can't get behind it.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see what Ryan Church has to do with it anymore than RM or DC or anyone. It all ultimately is about Lucas and what he wants.

If Lucas didn't want it a certain way they it wouldn't be that way.

He did Rogue One and TFA as well though not in the lead role yet Edwards was talking about him and Mustafar was still Mustafar.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

Doug Chiang and Ryan Church have dramatically different styles. One is a master film designer and the other should only be making video game art. And I also think that during pre-production of AOTC and ROTS, there was so much design work happening, that Lucas let his high standards lag a bit. He was working fast, and his normally laser-sharp eye missed a lot of bad designs. And since Church was running the show, and Lucas had less time than he did with TPM, Church's aesthetic pushed its way through big time. And I absolutely can't stand that guy's artwork.

As for RO, nearly none of his designs made it into Rogue One. Doug Chiang dominates that film visually, and it's no surprise that it looks amazing. Church was a minor contributor.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Which was my point. Lucas choose who he wanted to work on his movie as ever.

I don't know why you have this hate on for this guy. I mean what did he do to you personally?

Lots of bad designs from Chiang then as well? I see no reason based on everything I have ever seen, read or heard (and that is a lot for these movies) to believe that to at all be the case. This overlooks as well the translation from concept art to actual work of the models being built and overseen stage by stage and approved by Lucas himself. There is no reason to think he laser sharp eye was not as sharp as ever. If that applied in any way at all then it certainly wasn't on the overall concept or realization. That would at best apply to extremely minute details if anything.

Lucas was running the show just like always. It's his aesthetic that goes through.

OK but artwork and the actual designs in the movie are not the same thing. One is just the basis for the other will all kinds of filters from page to film with Lucas overlooking it day after day after day for years. He spent tons of time with the pre-viz guys putting the movie together there. In essence making the movie before he made it.

I don't know anything much about that. Hopefully the making of book will cover that which really hasn't been much.

ROTS is terrific to my eyes. Far beyond TFA and R1 but I put that down ultimately to Lucas and his process of how he takes from his crew (and they take from him).

14. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    I think both Doug Chiang, and Ryan Church are great artists, different but both good.:)

15. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  17. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Darth Maul goofing around... my life is complete.

18. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
  19. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Awwww. I get that Jake Lloyd's Anakin Skywalker is not considered one of the great child actor performances, but you can't deny that he was adorable.

20. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    He did pretty damn good imo. I liked him more than Mark Hamill in ANH.

21. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    I'll say this for the kid. I saw OT before PT, and on my first viewing of ROTJ I didn't buy Vader's redemption, it seemed like a cheap trick by the filmmakers because those 'dead Luke Skywalker' toys just wouldn't sell.;) I just didn't feel as if there had been enough groundwork laid in ANH and TESB for Vader to suddenly turn selfless and sacrifice his life.
    Pernilla August and Jake Lloyd's on screen parent-child relationship sold me on the idea that Anakin was once truly pure of heart.

Edit: In all fairness I think John Williams deserves a shout-out for this one too.

22. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    Can I keep him George?

23. Smellmet

Smellmet Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2017
    I don't think it looked fake at all, I just thought it was a beautiful sunset. ROTS is just an all round stunning movie IMO.

24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  25. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I truly hate the narrative that the PT was too much greenscreen, and not enough models, real sets, and matte paintings. This topic proves it is total bunk of a criticism.