main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Info Practice Markup Codes!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by jasman, Dec 19, 2001.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Testing copy-and-paste from LibreOffice Writer:

EDIT: Post submits just fine. However, "Tendra Nalo" in the first bold line should be in blue; this copied fine before the upgrade but no longer does. Additionally, every paragraph break in the document got turned into two line breaks upon pasting here.

IC: Tendra Nalo
    Time: Draft night (early afternoon on Euceron)

Usually Tendra was at the Draft location, but with the location not being announced until the last minute, combined with a sudden rescheduling of the Draft (which she speculated was related to the late announcement of the location), she had ended up with a conflict between the Draft and her philanthropic obligations. Since there wasn’t a specific need for her to be at the Draft, her other obligations won out, and so she found herself sitting on the bench at a local Little League field, the Draft playing on her datapad over the wave while she talked to the younglings arrayed on the ground in front of her about things like how to tackle correctly and sportsmanship.

“Right, and why do we lead with our shoulder when we tackle?” she asked the group. She had already gone over this several times, but it was perhaps the most important thing she had to drill into them this afternoon.

“Because we don’t want to end up with CTE,” one of the kids responded.

“That’s one reason. And what’s the other?”

Another kid piped up. “Because leading with the head creates a greater risk of head-to-head impact.”

“Exactly. So leading with the head puts both you and your opponent at risk of a concussion and eventually CTE. You never want to hit someone in a way that is likely to injure them. Even if they are your most hated rivals, you should still want every player to walk off the field unharmed.”

“Except for their ego!” The kids all laughed at this response from the back of the group.

Tendra laughed too. “Yes, I suppose that’s okay. Still, the point I was trying to make is that you should always aim to avoid injuring your opponents. That’s not to say that if you do injure them, you’ve failed. Injuries are a necessary evil in this game, and if you play long enough, sooner or later someone will be injured by your hit. Most injuries are the result of a freak accident, out of your control. But improper tackling technique can result in injuries too, and those injuries can happen to either player. That’s another reason why proper technique is so important: because the season you end could just as easily be your own.”

Suddenly, they all heard the announcement on the datapad that the Senators pick was in, and the discussion shifted to the Draft, knowing that the hometown team was up next.

“What does Euceron want?”

“Offense, I think.”

“Hey, look who’s sitting in front of you!”

“Not full forward, obviously. But perhaps a corner or half forward.”

Tendra turned up the volume on the datapad as someone from the Senators announced the pick. “With the second overall pick in the 289 Elite League Draft, the Coruscant Senators select Jac Jeshua, Corner Back from Grand Vulpter State University.”

“Hey, that’s Gamble’s position!”

“Well, they need a replacement, since this is going to be Gamble’s last season.”

“Yeah.”

Tendra interjected. “We don’t know that yet. It’s widely speculated that this is her last season, but it hasn’t been confirmed. Always be careful to avoid stating rumors as fact. That’s good advice in all aspects of life. What about the Officers’ pick? I will say that I think the offense around me was the weak link this past season, but I don’t really know what I’d upgrade. We had quite a few games where we scored in the single digits, but I do think the offense worked well as a team, and I’m hesitant to break it up. What do you guys think?”

“Looked to me like a general lack of motivation,” the Little League coach said. “Honestly, if limmie was a contest of who is more motivated, these kids would have creamed your offense last season.”

“I’d agree with that,” Tendra admitted as the kids whooped and hollered at the thought of beating an Elite League team. “So kids, what would you do about that?”

“Sign me!”

“And me!”

“Be realistic,” Tendra laughed.

“I say draft a corner forward and a half forward, not for any specific hole, but for value. Then tell the starters that they better work harder or these rookies are waiting to take their spot. That’ll motivate them and hopefully keep the teamwork intact. If it doesn’t, then whoever gets benched didn’t deserve to start.”

“That’s a very insightful response,” Tendra said. Without saying it out loud, she added in her head, And it’s exactly Aebatt’s plan. What she said instead was, “You could make a good general manager. But that only accounts for two picks. We have five. So what do we do with the other three?”

“Trade them away,” the same kid responded. “Most of the Officers’ charter members have contracts expiring over the next couple of seasons, and they’re getting old. Stockpiling picks for the next two seasons to bring in some youth gives them options when contract talks come up.”

“You would make a good general manager,” Tendra said with approval, while thinking, Did this boy hack into our encrypted messages regarding Draft plans?

The datapad announced that the Officers’ pick was in, and in only a few seconds, Aebatt’s voice, powerful as ever despite her small size, came over the wave to announce it.

“With the third selection in the 289 Elite League Limmie Draft, the Euceron Officers select Ayy Gida, corner forward from Ryloth Ag and Tech University.”

Tendra turned back to the boy who had guessed the Officers’ plans. “Good call!”

Although nobody was listening, Aebatt had one more thing to say. “The Ralltiir Starkillers are now on the clock.”

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    testing some of the new features (quoting just selected text)

nice!

4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
  5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I got an alert......

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You summoned me here for this...?

I'm in this for the reward, sweetheart.

8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Indiana ACOD and the Boards of Doom. :p

9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Just seeing that now I can probably go with just one large update for the RPF rather than having to stack two or even three together while still being able to tag everyone. :p Thanks folks.

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Good for all of us to know. Thanks for testing it out.

11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    You called Mand'alor?

Bardan_Jusik and Bazinga'd like this.
  12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    It's possible that as a mod, you might have a higher limit than us peons. :p

13. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    shab it all, you could be right. I mean at least it works for me now though. :p

Edit: We'll see if the below works (and it seems to be) using my non privileged sock.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. Gotab

Gotab Jedi Master star 1

May 18, 2011
  15. SWNerd11

SWNerd11 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    Yes?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Sorry, was just checking to see if regular users could also exceed the limit of ten other users in one post as we were able prior to the software upgrade. My previous attempt was done from my "mod account", and it was rightly pointed out to me that my methodology was flawed, perhaps exceeding the limit was only possible for site staff. So I tried the experiment again using one of my sock accounts which does not have staff privileges, and it again appears to be a success. Many thanks and my apologies for the unnecessary tag.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Bardan_Jusik likes this.