main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Praetorian Guard Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jan 3, 2018.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s still my favorite scene from TLJ once I divorce it from the story around it - it’s main weakness is that it doesn’t do that much for Rey because of the “arcl it’s attached to...

...But the idea itself, and what did make it to screen, has enough razzle-dazzle to be enjoyable, and I think if placed elsewhere, and with a different pair of Force users and opponents, it could have been an excellent climax.

Something like:

- Rey and Finn as a Jedi couple wading through Kylo’s handpicked bodyguard/Knights of Ren in preparation for a 2-v-1 duel against him (particularly if he maintained his lead in Force education over Rey.)
    - Rey Skywalker and Ben Solo fighting off Snoke/Palpatine’s royal guards while he gather strength for fight against them.
    - Kylo and a Knight of Ren who’s his second in command/love interest carrying out Kylo’s coup attempt... possibly against the other Knights.
    - Finn and Ben, reluctant and not friendly at all allies, taking on the Knights of Ren while Rey takes on Snoke/Palpatine.
    - Or even just Rey and Kylo, as in TLJ... but with the fight happening while Snoke is wounded and still alive, as they’ve united out of pure pragmatism in wanting Snoke dead, so the second the fight’s over and Kylo kills Snoke, Rey tries to kill him, and Kylo delivers the requisite second film beat down, leaving Rey possibly tainted by the dark side and physically defeated.

2. Martin Hoffmann

Martin Hoffmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2020
    Why did Snoke have so many bodyguards (Praetroian Guards) when he was just one clone?

Was there ever an explanation for this question?

3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I like the idea of dark and light joining together to take something worse on. Short-term reluctant allies, who then each learn more about the other, other than the common conceptions they have of each other. Maybe there's a middle ground. Maybe they can find peace going forward. A journey that takes place over an entire movie. Not just a single scene.

But I didn't like it as it was executed on screen. As some desperate plan by Rey to save Kylo, after knowing him a day, and after he's done so much abuse to her. 6 Forceless Guards isn't much of a fight against two powerful force-users. And I didn't care for the aesthetics of the scene.

4. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    He was the leader, the first order didn't know he was a clone. They wouldn't just leave him with a few stormtroopers.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    So it seems these guys have been around for awhile before the events of the ST. Different helmets but they get outright name dropped. Makes me wonder how early in the picture Snoke comes into play or if they are a product of the OT Empire, or are Sith Eternal from Exegol.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  6. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    GASP! Where are my friends that were claiming Mando has NOTHING to do with the ST? That Disney was avoiding the ST era? :)

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    There is a Star Wars poster magazine from 1978 which ran an article on Stormtroopers sourced directly from George Lucas’s notes. (This magazine in retrospect is a huge treasure trove of early Star Wars concepts as well as things that would be show up much later.)

Long story short - the magazine talks about the highest ranking Imperial Officers having their own elite guard. Clones who distinguished themselves in battle would get these stations.

The Death Troopers are sort of like this. Maybe these red guard are too.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This website (TheForce.net) still has scans from the magazine.

STAR WARS: OFFICIAL POSTER MONTHLY #4
    Published January 1978 by Galaxy Publications. Text writers Jon Trux, John May, Anthony Fredrickson.

http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post4-03.jpg

It's a big enough pic that one needs to scroll to the right, to see it.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Thanks @Iron_lord

good to read that again. Love the part about ‘Imperial gifts are allowed liquor and women.’

In ‘78 Star Wars ****ed.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    The P-Guards looked a lot better in Mando era, and ya know, were actually skilled fighters. Even their weapons looked like ... weapons, and less plastic toys. Too bad their designs devolved into the versions that protected Snoke 20 years later.

11. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I thought they looked and fought equally well in both their appearances so far.

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Also pretty sure the weapons are exactly the same as TLJ. Two out of three I’m like 98% sure are the exact same props.

13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    They're close, but not quite the exact same design. There's modifications made. And props themselves seem to be made from different materials. Even the armor looks different. TLJ looks like cheap CVP plastic, whereas Mandos look more like actual armor. Which could be a lighting issue, but that would still be an improvement for Mando.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The laser whip is the closest, but each 'laser' segment is a lot closer together in Mando, whereas in TLJ they're separate by a non-laser section.
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I like their designs, fighting style, and weapons in both cases, even if I think they’re wasted in TLJ to try and help sell the idea that Ben Solo matters more than anything else, and that his crappy abusive romance should be given preference.

Just serving as final bosses to someone who’s clearly far more sympathetic and complex than Ben Solo as a character and not as senselessly stupid as TLJ’s Rey in Paz Vizsla? Excellent. Their design strengths and weapons are still used well, but for a worthy character and story.

But I do have some observations that are still overall positive, just more analytical:

- It’s still kind of cool, if still not necessarily “of the moment,” that Johnson clearly wanted armor designs that were deliberately retro and surreal for his PGs; their helmets and segmented armor feel a lot like something from another franchise that was also launched in the 70s, with the faceless masks, the almost over-segmentation, and funny hats. I like it, even if my aesthetic preferences run more towards what The Mandalorian shows them using.
    - At the same time, it makes a lot of real-world and fictional sense to have the Praetorian Guard use different armor in The Mandalorian; imperial armor of the period is still that sort of “utilitarian retro” design to it, the helmets having more visible eye slots probably makes them more practical for the stunts, and the lack of segmentation probably makes the cinematography and choreography a little easier.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  15. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I prefer the texture of the armour and the wacky helmets from TLJ. But I like the mandalorian version which is closer to the imperial royal guards in RotJ and the Crimson Empire comics

godisawesome likes this.
  16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I like them both. It also makes me wonder if the Red Guard on Exegol aren’t another third variation of the P-Gaurd.
    Which one? BSG? Buck Rodgers? Or a movie series?

godisawesome likes this.
  17. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    It looks like they're trying to bridge the gap between the Royal Guards and the Praetorian Guard, implying that one transitioned into the other. The Mando Praetorian Guard armour looks much more Imperial than the TLJ armour (the breastplate and belts especially like stormtrooper-esque). The red harkened back to the OT guards obviously, but the costumes in TLJ were different enough that I could have seen the Praetorian Guard coming from an entirely different tradition.

18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Nothing specific for a franchise… more just the general semi-surreal design choices, and the sort of over-obtrusive nature of some of the detailing and pieces.

Like, I feel there’s some similar ideas behind the BSG designs and something like Disney’s old Black Hole movie, or even some of Robbie the Robot, and different helmet designs remind me of the “Silly Hats” version of Dune as a Sci-Fi Channel miniseries. :p

The arm armor specifically has a very funky feel that says it was inspired by some of the real world arm armor like the Romans had, then blown up in a puffy manner - while I still like the uniqueness of it, it doesn’t feel “Imperial,” and I’m guess there were probably some funky sounds made by it during the fight choreography that then got removed in post-production.

The lack of any “face” to the armor is the most striking thing aesthetically , in my opinion - and it might be holding the design together, since I think the plates and segmentation manages to not *quite* look ergonomic but also not *quite* stylish, and would just look horribly awkward with a helmet that was either one of those, but come together when paired with the faceless helmet that makes it feel more deliberately grotesque (in the artistic sense of the word.)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  19. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    SW has always had funky non-functional helmets. I feel like the TLJ P-Guard helmets are a very strange non-pleasing looking shape. Like a random stack of odd shapes that really don't form a cohesive vibe when taken altogether.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    It did a good job making Snoke seem like he came from somewhere unfamiliar to us and far away. Like it’s out of a different time. But definitely from a place where sometime ago their design aesthetic went done a different path,

The Emperor’s Royal Guard are retroactively based on the Blue Senate Guard. They also have a more unique look. All the imperial troopers are retroactively based on phase 1 clone trooper armor the Kaminoians designed.

And that armor also seems inspired partly by Mandalorian Armor.

It is interesting to see praetorian guard with Stormtrooper influenced armor. What came first in universe the Snoke guards armor or what we saw on Mando?

Is this a third type of the guard?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    whostheBossk likes this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    The Clonetrooper armor is based on Jango's Mandalorian designs. The OT stormtroopers are evolved from the Clonetroopers, with some skeleton symbolism mixed in, now that the Empire represents death.

The Emperor's Guards in ROTJ were definitely based on the Royal/Senatorial Guard - which makes perfect sense - since Palpatine is just keeping the same Order around.

Those concepts above are quite nice. Nicer than the final outcome in TLJ. I really like the long capes too. And the sharper lines in the helmet are preferable to the Oakley sunglasses and curves of the FO trooper designs. Yeah, I kind of even wish the reg FO troopers were all decked out in red.

22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Loved seeing them in the penultimate episode of Mando Season 3. It was one of the many things I loved about TLJ.

HevyDevy likes this.
  23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I prefer the Mando guards to those of TLJ... if only that they're closer to the cleaner lines of the guard's in ROTJ. TLJ designs, as well as the choreograpohy, seemed over elaborate IMO.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the seeming difference in texture may simply be due to the bad lighting in TLJ.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah I've thought the same. That room is red on red on black on red with cool blue/white lighting. It's a weird stage. RJ you are no Jack White lol.

Bor Mullet likes this.