main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Predator

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Adm_Thrawn, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    This is the place to discuss everybody's favorite invisible alien assassins and the films that made them famous.

[image=http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/1162/pred13nl.gif]

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    already started a thread on this.

http://boards.theforce.net/science_fiction_and_fantasy_films_and_television/b10748/22779496/p1/?0

3. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I've recently delved into the Expended Universe of these creatures. The Yautja, as they are apparently called, are one of the most interesting creature concepts in recent scifi history. I'm a huge fan of the first movie, it's a classic, which stands as solid today as it did when it was released. Not as much a fan of the second movie, though I did enjoy the ending. As for AVP, it was what it offered to be, a movie about the two species fighting... Not very captivating, though it was entertaining at times. I hope they expend on the Predator Franchise in the fure, beyond versus concepts.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    AVP could have been awesome, but it fell short of anything near greatness. It should have been rated R like the rest of the films in the two series.

The Predators are a really cool group. I would hate to have to fight a full scale war against their species, let alone try to take on one of them.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I hope we get another just plain Predator movie without it having to be a remake.

I think the concept behind these creatures is one of the best in sci-fi.Stan Winston did a beautiful job designing the Predators,they are scary and yet so fascinating.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i've always been facinated w/ the weapons they have. from the wristblades to the shoulder mounted gun. it's also cool if you read the various predator books that they have a code of honor. they won't kill an unarmed person that doesn't pose a threat to them. i've always liked that

7. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    the first film was superb, and still ranks as one of my favorite films, even though it differed from the book in places (the fight with arnie's character towards the end being my main gripe). great original concept for a film and still fresh today. the second film wasn't so good, but i hate gary busey anyway (yeah so i'm shallow) and was glad to see him finished off in it :p .

AVP was possibly one of the biggest let downs in cinematic history. there was so much potential for greatness, that just got wasted. two of the greatest alien/monster franchises ever, and the film ended up being tame. they should have gone all out and made it an "18", then it would have reached it's potential but instead they catered for the masses and tapped into the mid teenage market purely for box office takings.

8. jayplate

jayplate Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    one of my favorites

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The thing I liked abput Predator was that it was a new monster, something that we had never seen before which created good suspense. And when we do see it, for me at least, it really had an other-worldly feel especially with the featureless mask.

In one of the Predator comics the artist was one of the artists that worked on the film. In his storyboard for the ending he put in a mushroom cloud from the explosion as a joke. He was quite surprised they actually put it in the film.

There is only one thing I like about Predator 2, the ending. Not only was the pack of Preds coming out of stealth really cool, but also the gift of the gun from 1715 the Elder Pred gives away as a trophy.

AVP. I have mixed emotions. It was too short, there was no great suspense, the aliens hatched too soon. I did like the first face-to-face moment, I liked that the Preds didn't simply walk all over the Aliens, and I loved the Alien Queen animation.

10. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    The original Predator film is the only Ahnuld flick I can stand. Classic movie in all respects.

11. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    It is a classic. One of my favourite movies of all time. I have a whole bunch of the figures at my house. I thought the second one was pretty good, while AVP could have used alot more blood, but I thought the fights between the Predators and the Aliens were fairly good. Hopefully if they ever make another one they'll put more effort into the storyline.

12. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    I know I do this alot, but I want to know what you guys/gals think:

My concept for Predator 3:

Done in the present day, theres presumably a creature taking out natives in a unique part of the world (something different, not a city and not a rainforest, something new) seen in Predator 1. Our hero, an FBI Investigator and NOT your typical hero (think Jake Gyllenhall) hypothesizes after conducting some research and recovered artifacts--green plasma & human skulls that the creature is possibly a "Predator" and interviews BOTH Arnold's & Danny Glover's characters for further insight on their previous encounters (keep in mind that it's Arnold that calls the creature a "predator", before hand they didn't know what to call it). Anyhoo, the govt. led by Arnold's character assembles that military-type group from Predator 2 to assist in the live capture of the new Predator. As in the first movie, the squad of 30 something soldiers are slowly picked off until it is eventually discovered that there are more than one Predator and that they are in fact in the middle of their "rite of passage" quest ala AvP. It would end w/ the hero discovering bodies of a decent amount of natives...with holes in their chests...leading to a proper AvP II and/or a Humans vs. Aliens movie told in the present time.

Whatta ya think? [face_plain]

13. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I've only seen the original. It's a great pure ass-kicking movie.

14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Predator is sheer genius.

Why?

Four words:

GET TO THA CHOPPAH!

15. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I like the first PREDATOR more than PREDATOR 2 and more than ALIEN VS PREDATOR and I like PREDATOR 2 more than ALIEN VS PREDATOR.

PREDATOR is a movie that works really well, hits hard and is a lot of fun.

PREDATOR 2 had a cool ending. Allows for another/more sequel(s) and a prequel(s).

ALIEN VS PREDATOR, while a cool idea, just seemed to be missing something and just not taken seriously enough. Definitely didn't hit hard like an ALIEN VS PREDATOR movie could and maybe should, considering the two frachises.

16. Fox4

Fox4 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    Yeah,Predator was always the better one, this may offend people but I laughed my a** off when they were running to the 'choppah' and the Southern guy tryed to be cool by challenging the Predator but went out like a p****y, second favorite was when the Sargeant attacked that pig thinking it was the Predator[face_laugh], great movie overall.Gory, but great.[face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.