main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Prepping for US Autocracy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bacon164, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Ehhhhhhhhh watching the new moron governor in Virigina make a complete full of himself already should be a reminder that the right at the end of the day greatest weakness will always be their incompetence. Right now Republicans are trying to gerrymander a majority in congress anyway they can but projections are now showing that won't happen so even when they cheat they are not very competent.

And Ron Fliposowki explain the schism between the right and left very well:

In summary. The left needs to toughen up because the right will never ever ever become empathic or not want confrontation. White Jesus says it's okay to use whatever tactics they want (not the real one) to get what they want.

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    They don’t need to be competent, just angry and armed. They can do a hell of a lot of damage with just those two things.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If the right were to actually successfully establish a right-wing authoritarian government after stealing a Presidential election, armed revolution would likely become necessary, I’m afraid. Hope it doesn’t come to that, but American democracy is in deep trouble, and its defenders should definitely be prepared to defend it. And to be clear, this is not a fantasy. This is a fear. A nightmare to hopefully be avoided. But if it materializes, I certainly won’t stay asleep.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, which is why I am already looking for a way to leave.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Central to a democracy is voice AND exit. Which is why I never understood right-wingers who mocked people for threatening to leave the US. The ability to leave is a core freedom! They should love it when people do that.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    1) you live here, you are not leaving, you are not protesting, and you are not dying. By your own earlier remarks, you are okay with with it. You need to do one of those three things, otherwise you are accepting living in a society founded on and defending itself with violence. You do not get to take any kind of moral high ground here.

2) there is a concept. That concept is wrong and stupid.

Lowbacca_1977 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The weird thing is, Conservatives are supposed to be pro freedom and invidualism and all that stuff and they love the Constitution and all the stuff America was founded on.
    So they say anyway

And I saw that there were Republicans who were against what happened in the Capitol as an attack on democracy & who hated Trump for not conceding when he'd obviously lost.
    So even though Trump was someone who clearly would have become an authoritarian dictator if he got the chance, there are plenty of moderate Republicans who wouldn't stand for that kind of thing

Would the military stand for it?

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Large numbers of senior military voices have been warning about the possibility of a dictatorship in America. My feeling is that the military would split along similar lines as the general public, while leaning anti-authoritarian. Those who take their duty seriously remember that they swear an oath to the Constitution, not the President. I think that has a lot of power in the ranks.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Plus the Senate and the FBI & the CIA surely wouldn't stand for that kind of thing, neither would the Supreme Court.
    Although, impeaching Trump did exactly nothing so I guess that option doesn't work so well when a President breaks the rules

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just for clarity. There’s not just the CIA in the intelligence community (IC). There are 17 different intelligence agencies that make up the IC. And I’d guess that about 90% of that community would actively resist an authoritarian takeover.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Absolutely love trusting the CIA, FBI, and military to defend democracy.

12. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    They're incompetent, but they're persistent.
    Or support it.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, I’m quite certain that around 90% of IC personnel would oppose it. But that other 10% is still worrying.
    I don’t love it at all - nor do I trust it. It’s far too fraught a dynamic. Just stating, based on my knowledge and experience, where I think those segments of the US government would likely stand. At least at the start.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    dp

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I actually agree with you, from the point that the current form of government is something these agencies are actually fine with. They get the deniability of being part of a nominal liberal democracy, while still getting to do the authoritarian and shadowy actions that they do.

Which should scare you about how bad things really are here.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I hope everyone agrees that we (in the U.S.) live in a dystopia. Only a sadist would set up a society like the one we have here.

Vaderize03 and Lord Vivec like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I do protest. I’ve posted about it.

Nobody has killed me in the street so that means I love preemptive war and the CIA? Uh…I can’t help you there. (Or if you interpreted my comment differently, I’m not suicidal. I’m not homicidal either which goes back to my comment about opposition to violence.)

I guess I’m not trying hard enough to leave according to you? Can’t help you with that one either.

If you want me to say that yes, our current system is better than any totalitarian system—here. I just said it. And that is my moral high ground that I am claiming.

If you want to continue telling me I support preemptive war without knowing that I support preemptive war, continue believing that I suppose.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You are an incredibly sensitive man who inspires joy joy feelings in all those around you.

19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Aren’t a lot of republicans turning on each other like complete warlords for power?

Just like isis vs Taliban, but only it’s far right wing Christians in America at each other for power.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If only you had done some edgy posts on a Star Wars message board about how many people you will beat up as a communist ninja revolutionary.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Just like Zsinj and Treuten Teradoc.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Darth_Duck like this.
  22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    well what do you propose to counteract the coming autocracy

23. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Pretty much crime is going get a lot higher than it already is if the autocracy comes.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think Anakinsfan already listed the suite of acceptable options. Contrary to some of the discussion here, they can do quite a bit to destabilize regimes and are a major source of concern. I realize that it's not as cool as talking about a moment where "anything goes" and getting to unsheath your Wolverine claws, but exodus/mass migration can be hugely problematic. As much if not moreso than someone murdering a bunch of people, half of which usually end up being other civilians you are supposed to be "helping."

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Almost as edgy as consistent serious posting in the ****post thread.