main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Juliemcc81, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Agreed. One of the worst being the raising of the apparently fully working and airworthy X-Wing from the sea, the one that was missing a wing because it was being used as the door to Luke's hut. This was a major plot point, because it reinforced the idea that Luke was stuck on that island and couldn't just up and leave to go to Crait to help the Resistance. He had to sacrifice himself by sending his astral projection. This was used to criticize Luke for not going in person after the Rise of Skywalker because now, according to the story when viewed holistically, "he could have left at any time"

It's crazy stuff.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    SlashMan, Shadao, bstnsx704 and 2 others like this.
  2. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    I think the thing with TROS in this respect is it was desperately trying to tick off boxes it thought would please fans with fan service without any sort of regard for the damage it was doing to the trilogy's (and saga's) narrative in the process. The X-Wing-which-was-rotting-in-the-sea-for-a-decade-but-which-somehow-flies-whilst-missing-a-massive-wing-panel is the case in point - I encountered various people online who saw that submerged X-Wing and immediately thought it would be lifted, because hey, TESB reference! These are the people it was trying to please.

Or how the movie took the time to show that Ben arrived on Exogol in a TIE Fighter, just so it could get the meaningless visual of a TIE Fighter and X-Wing together on one planet. Does it make any sense that Ben found a functioning (nevermind somehow hyperdrive capable) TIE Fighter in the forty-year old sea-decayed wreckage of a battle station that exploded? Hell no, but who cares, references!

Heck, the DS2's existence on Kef Bir itself is even more egregious now that I think about it. The DS2 didn't blow up into a million pieces in orbit above Endor, it somehow crashed in a massive intact upright piece and its a place you can go visit.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I wasn't defending TFA. I'm not into that movie, similarly. But I think it doesn't halt the franchise, to me, more runs in place.

4. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Guys, stop critizing the movie I like, I'm gonna sue y'all.

MarcJordan likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Darth PJ likes this.
  6. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    ROTS: [Palpatine to Anakin] I have the power to save the one you love.

TROS: [Palpatine to Rey] Only you have the power to save them.

Also, Ben Solo truly finishes what his grandfather started: he saves someone from death.

7. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Love this

8. Moonshield76

Moonshield76 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2020
    Kamino; Padme's arena outfit (AOTC / TROS)

9. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    [​IMG]
    It's that piece right there!

I am of course joking.

10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Also weird is that the FO is apparently right there. Hovering above Endor. Or the other Endor, next door. Which then gets attacked by Resistance, Holdo style, which I thought was one in a million shot and couldn't be used again, which we also never see on screen. I don't remember the FO being in Endor system but whatev. Gotta get some Ewoks in.

[​IMG]

Outside of a couple of lines of Palpatine dialog, I don't think there are any conscious PT references. I don't think JJ has seen the PT. Not since '99.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    well that just wrong as ROST was in 2005, :p

12. Vympel

Oct 31, 2002
    Keep in mind that when JJ was asked what his favorite moment of ROTS was, it was literally "I liked seeing the blockade runner hallway again."

13. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    My favorite PT reference in the ST is seeing fans complain about one of the films and it's director. Truly a great callback.

14. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Lucky for you, it’s double the fun this go-around! :p

(Though I hear that with the PT it was more the media that savaged the movies; social media was in its infancy then.)

15. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I think it bears repeating that someone decided that the Podracer flags on Maz's castle in the TFA trailer shouldn't appear in the final movie.

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Probably not intentional but both Padme and Leia die under vaguely defined circumstances.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  17. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    This is interesting. Padme dies of a broken heart (sadness). Leia dies of .... fatigue? She tries to reach her son and somehow dies? I don't get it.

18. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Again, it's vaguely defined in the film, but to me Leia's death is a combination of two things: her physical exertion in Force projecting to Ben and the subsequent emotional blow of feeling him struck by Rey.

So one could make the connection that overwhelming emotional tolls factor into the deaths of both Padme and Leia.

19. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I would cite TLJ for this as well. It's clearly trying to ape ESB's plot structure (hero seeks mentor on remote planet while others escape pursuit), having OT characters show up but for miniscule roles, and worst of all, damaging Luke's journey from the OT by essentially undoing it. Remember all the inner strength it took to avoid killing his father? Forget that, he has no such feelings for his nephew, plus people change over the course of 30 years. Oh, you wanted to see what could possibly have driven him to that? Never mind, he's not the lead character anymore.

That being said, I think Luke and Kylo's roles confirm something I have felt about the prequels. Luke being a Jedi Master whose star pupil betrayed him makes him more like Obi-Wan than his father, and Anakin's similarities to Han Solo perfectly lay the foundation for Vader 2.0 to be Han's son.

20. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Elemental surges in the midst of operatic tussles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    It certainly is a great parallel. If only I can forget the OT imagery plastered everywhere else in the film to appreciate it.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

I just figured that Ben got the TIE from the First Order, which either he arrived with or called over-and that's why there was a Star Destroyer over Endor. Although cos he had shunned the Darkside by that point, he would've had to pretend when he was back on the Star Destroyer. Which IMO would've been kind of interesting to see actually. To me that's easier to swallow than that he just magically happened to find a TIE in the massive wreckage of the DSII

Like I mentioned above, I thought that was odd at first too when I saw TROS in theaters. But then I thought "oh yeah, they're probably there cos Ben arrived in the Star Destroyer to confront Rey on Kef Bir." Or at least if he didn't arrive WITH them, they came along after he arrived there.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  23. Vympel

Oct 31, 2002
    That would've made more sense but the TIE is a 'classic' OT TIE, not an ST TIE.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well it depends really. when it comes to references and acknowledgment. do they count as the same? for example the name Palpatine is not from the OT. that name was never said once. but TROS acknowledges the name and thats from the PT. does that count as a reference?

Rey and Kylo high jumping on the death star wreckage, is that reference or acknowledgment? Luke did it once in the OT, but it was used fairly often in the PT. so it does seem more in line with the PT.

Deflecting force lighting with a saber is also a PT thing. not used in the OT. so is that a reference?

They ain't loud references, but they are acknowledgments id say.

MarcJordan and DARTH_BELO like this.
  25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The Carbon Freeze on bespin visually splits this difference with the lave orange floor lights and blue / green background.

KyleKartan and MarcJordan like this.