main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Juliemcc81, Dec 21, 2019.

1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Catching the Snake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KyleKartan and StartCenterEnd like this.
  2. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    ROTS ends with a focus on Luke and Leia and an ending shot of the twin suns of Tatooine. TROS ends with a focus on Luke and Leia and an ending shot of the twin suns of Tatooine.

3. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Is there a Shmi? Like, Palpatine's son/clone was not FS sensitive. Palpatine needed a womb. So, Rey's mom. But if the son/clone was not FS, the child wouldn't have been FS either, right? You can have a FS child through a FS father+womb (Anakin/Padme or through a FS mother and her own womb (Leia).

So if Rey is a Palpatine, so is her mother. But nothing is said about Jodie Comer, and she looks a lot like Leia's mother in the ROTJ novel, who was not Padme: 'running, hiding in a trunk, parting embraces, flesh torn from flesh'.

So, someone else. You don't need a father, just a mother and a certain ability learned from Plagueis; and maybe, this time, a certain object (a helmet, let's say) Ben was sent away the same year Rey was born. Too much Vader in him.

So, a mother: a Palpatine, in the sense of sharing a common ancestor with the emperor. According to him, that ancient throne was Rey's too. It is in our blood.

The 'mechanism' has to do with Lucas' ideas. This hypothetical character would have to do with JJ. This us Sydney Bristow's mom from Alias:
    The idea being, baby Rey was left in a basket, like Baby Moses, and the TROS parents found her. (Luke's temple was destroyed via sith lightning in the Kylo comic. Was that an 'agent'?)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I found Luke's use of "Darth Sidious" really jarring and out of place.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  5. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    The scene with the arriving Skywalker on Exegol mirrors ROTS' Coruscant scene. We already had this. But even Rey's lightsaber aiming behind her head (for killing Palpatine) is similar to Mace's. I just realized this. All in all a pretty interesting mirroring in that scene.

6. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    I agree. I liked that he did though.

I’m guessing the galaxy still refers to him as just Emperor Palpatine at the time of TLJ. I’d be interested to know how much of the galaxy at that point were aware that the man who ruled the galaxy was actually a Sith though.

darthfettus2015 and Shadao like this.
  7. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Darth Sidious, instead of Palpatine. Darth Vader, instead of Skywalker. He's talking about the jedi and the sith.

Darth Sidious was a Rule of Two name. Plagueis>Sidious>Vader, etc.

That's how he started and how (from Luke's perspective) he died. That's the OT/PT. So, that's what Luke knew. More or less what the audience knows before the ST. But there was more.

I think Sidious discovered something at one point about himself. About Senator Palpatine. The throne in Exegol was his by blood. There was a bloodline element going back to the sith ruling the galaxy, and preceding the Bane-Sidious lineage (the rule of two)
    Ruin=Ren I guess.
    This is Cosinga Palpatine talking to our Palpatine, his 17 yo son, in the 'Plagueis' novel (2012). Palpatine is about to kill him:
    And:
    So Palpatine was kept during development together with these ideas. But those ideas had (have) to do with stories not involving Luke, so Luke had to be kept non-omniscient. He knew about Exegol and the wayfinders, but I don't think he knew the whole story, or at least not before Kylo Ren had become a reality.
    'Only two were made'. Maybe there was a dyad once. Palpatine and Kylo minsinterpret it in TROS, but both know about it. In fact, 'dyad' is a sith word.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    MarcJordan and darthfettus2015 like this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Both the PT and the ST involve Sidious using figureheads to command factions (Nute Gunray/Trade Federation, Dooku and Grievous/Separatists, Snoke/First Order) while he operates in the shadows.

9. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Poe and Leia in TLJ:

“We took down a dreadnaught!”

“At what cost?!”

Anakin and Padme in ROTS:

“Love won’t save you Padme. Only my new powers can do that!”

“at what cost?!”

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    KyleKartan likes this.
  10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Anakin arrives at Palpatine’s office, jumps out and runs to help Palpatine defeat Mace Windu.

Ben arrives at Palpatine’s temple on Exegol, jumps out and runs to help Rey defeat Palpatine.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Jo Lucas and KyleKartan like this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Other than Luke referencing Darth Sidious, Mustafar and Anakin’s voice on Exegol, I’m not sure there are many PT references... certainly no conscious rhyming, mirroring or symbolism.

wobbits likes this.
  12. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I don't think people can accuse TFA of being ANH beat for beat rip off and not have some mirroring. Thought there was plenty, tho id have liked more.. but they were scared to because of the fan backlash over the PT. They just couldn't win

KyleKartan likes this.
  13. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Speeder chase on Pasaana mirrors the pode racing in TPM.

MarcJordan and darthfettus2015 like this.
  14. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    podracer parts on jakku

MarcJordan likes this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    How so? Because it was a race over sand?

I can’t remember those. Any screenshots you can link to?

wobbits likes this.
  16. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Oh, they can cry me a river (both the old standard AND the Timberlake song). They got paid big money to play in the Star Wars sandbox and were handed the original cast back and that was what they came up with? You could have remade My Dinner with Andre with Mark, Harrison and Carrie and people would have showed up.

wobbits, Shadao and Darth PJ like this.
  17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    this is a thread about PT references not using the OT characters

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    MarcJordan and KyleKartan like this.
  18. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Are you really suprised?

MarcJordan likes this.
  19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    no my friend, not really

MarcJordan and KyleKartan like this.
  20. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I'm responding the bolded in your comment, but whatever...

21. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    yes they were effected so much by the adverse reaction to the PT it influenced the making and marketing of the ST. Fact

KyleKartan likes this.
  22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It influenced the ‘marketing’ for TFA for sure... most of it built on a falsehood of course. I’m not sure it influenced the ‘making’ as such. And of course it all ultimately backfired.

wobbits, Shadao and PendragonM like this.
  23. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i think those who treated George unfairly through the PT years are the reason we got the ST we got, a decade of barbed jokes about sand and Han shooting first etc have had a weathering effect on the whole thing long before the ST. i think something as little as an OT3 flashback scene would've helped appease some. Let's be honest a lot of people just wanted the Luke scene we got in mando to be the ST.. after having waited since 1983 like me. im happy the three trilogies are very different a lot of fans didn't i guess.

KyleKartan likes this.
  24. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I dispised the Marketing of TFA...but backfired?

The BO for TFA broke serval records...it's still the highes grossing movie in the USA. It was a huge succsess and made it's Money because of the Marketing and Hype as well as the word of mouth. No matter your personal Feelings about TFA the movie was huge hit a and well recveived from audience and critics.

The Audience Score for TFA at RT: 86 %
    The Critic Score for TFA: 93%
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens

Does'nt look like backfire to me.

I think you have a Point here. Especially after TLJ and Luke not beeing SuperJedi I think you're absolutley right about it. Heck I'd loved to have seen MegaLuke too in the ST and fantasized about it yet Iam just as happy with what I've got instead.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    'Backfired' in that they ultimately delivered a sequel trilogy that's derided, and divisive, and which lost circa 50% of its audience after TFA. The marketing certainly worked for getting bums on seats for TFA... no doubt there. But that's a different conversation.

The marketing was cynical and had little to do with any fan discontent towards the PT (IMO), other than Disney/Lucasfilm saw it as an opportunity. It kind of reflects the sequels themselves, in my opinion, that 'the powers that be' thought it easier to show the OT3 as failures, as a way of artificially inflating the worth/value of the new heroes, rather than building the new heroes organically through the actual writing/development process. Similarly, Disney/Lucasfilm saw a marketing opportunity, to prop up/distinguish the ST, by running (and reenforcing) the 'it's all real and not CGI' kind of schtick, which was a big part of their marketing... certainly for TFA.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Shadao likes this.