main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion, part deux - Only $9.99/month!

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Nov 6, 2017.

1. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'm amazed they were able to go that hard on TV.

2. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Have the Young Bucks EVER had a match that didn't turn into a 40 person brawl that goes outside the ring 2 minutes into the match?

3. DarthRamRod

Oct 1, 2018
    I was surprised gage knew any actual wrestling moves.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Dominos is apparently threatening to pull all future ads because of it, so best case scenario is it was probably a one-off situation with an apology afterwards on Dynamite.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. DarthRamRod

Oct 1, 2018
    Swear some glass hit some people in the crowd when gage went through it.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    \
    Or at least never using pizza cutters in matches again (because yes, use of a Dominoes pizza cutter is Dominoes issue and not the violence)

7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Cultaholic was covering some stories that said that WWE was running a “smear campaign” against AEW about the pizza cutter incident - trying to blow Domino’s reaction out of proportion, looking to try and make the story more maintstream, etc.

Not going to lie, as a Social Studies teacher, I’m kind of fascinated at how this plays out as an example of a market leader’s business tactics in an entertainment industry, especially in interaction with the wrestling news media; I’ve long since come to the conclusion that Vince is a *genuinely* great and dangerous businessman, probably the best in his industry, but his believe he’s anything but a mediocre booker gets in his own way… and with that fact becoming public knowledge in a wrestling new industry that has arguably *grown* even as the industry itself sinks, some of his old tactics aren’t as effective anymore.

And when examining how de-facto monopolies work in luxuries like entertainment genres, it’s fun to notice how the existence of AEW basically shows where an entertainment genre simply can’t be cornered the way a more physical commodity can.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No Becky yet, but Sasha has returned in time for SummerSlam.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    That's a definite shock. It's a shame WWE were only ever half-arsed with giving him the push he deserved as both leader of the Wyatt Family and The Fiend.

I understand Jon Huber's death hit him especially hard. Hope he's doing well and lands on his feet as soon as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm kinda not surprised given that he wasn't seen since WrestleMania where he was jobbed out to Orton (again).

If I was him, I would take the original Bray Wyatt character (even if he can't use the name), and head to AEW.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    unbelievable. creative and talented enough to do anything he wants, wish him success.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Feels like every spark of original light from the late 10’s that constantly got undermined and held back by booking is getting released.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    what the

smh wwe

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’ve become a AEW mark, I know that, but it really feels to me like if you wanted to dump expensive contracts as WWE does… you’d want to keep the young assets that have proven themselves valuable commodities who can handle their side of almost anything. Not dump them.

Unless there’s some other issues here, Bray feels like one of the last people you’d cut; dude managed to reinvent himself almost entirely into a career resurrection that made serious merch.

…Not going to lie, I kind of want WWE to “pay” for this somehow. I usually try to be less “hopped up mark for getting away from the ‘E,”… but I feel like Bray should make himself someone’s else’s megastar at a greater profitability than WWE ever got out of him just to show why you shouldn’t cut that kind of talent.

Lordban and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently according to Meltzer, Bray was told it was budget cuts by Johnny Ace.

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The legend of Kurt Angle began 25 years ago today:

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Release?

Surely he's been retired for years

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He doesn't wrestle, but he's been used as on air talent off and on in recent years, most recently in that awful RAW angle with him being in a relationship with Lacey Evans while Evans was in a feud with Charlotte (that only ended because Evans got pregnant IRL).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  22. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    He was also a brand ambassador I believe.

I wouldn't be surprised if he appeared in AEW for some backstage segments. A little run-in with Sting, Tully Blanchard or Arn Anderson would pop the crowd for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Reviewing the most likely and craziest ostensible reasons for the “budget cuts”… it’s still pretty hard to see any reason not to keep Rotunda that doesn’t come around in some way to also rejecting the idea of talent managing to make themselves “superstars.”

If they just want to save cash, sell the company, restrict their operations to Vegas, streamline their product and become even more kid friendly… you’d still want an iconic villain and that level of creativity in your camp.

On some level, there has to be a conscious element of “proving a point” about the brand being so much more important than any superstar, no matter how skilled or creative, that everyone is ultimately completely interchangeable. And it wouldn’t just be a WWE idea - more than one NFL owner clearly has similar sentiments, and are likely behind Goodell’s known tendencies to crack down on individuality. But in WWE, they need entertained to prioritized over the brand, because entertainment *is* the brand - Disney is a monstrously huge entertainment company because ultimately they just want people entertained enough to give them money, and they have no problem letting other “front” brands seem to take the credit.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i heard they were 'loading up' the roster with audiences returning.

I guess that means paying Oldberg and throwing out Bray

Juliet316 likes this.