main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion, part deux - Only $9.99/month!

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Nov 6, 2017.

1. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

It'll never happen in a million years and if it did it would be awful for the industry...

But it would be really funny.

Lordban and appleseed like this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Tony Khan is enough of a mark that he would at least reference those final Nitro promos. That would literally be the only upside.

3. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I dunno if it's the only upside. I mean, some of the matches that we could get would be incredible.

Plus it would annoy so many annoying people online.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the aggravating truth is that the market could totally maintain a healthy, 5+-show, super-rostered wrestling company... but we know Vince McMahon couldn't' and wouldn't do it, and its doubtful that even the less dysfunctional management of AEW could even if they wanted to.

You'd need to have enough organizational skill and insight to remake North American professional wrestling into something like a sports league - conferences, conference championships, and plenty but not too many crossover opportunities. You'd want to mimic the ability of the territories to maintain their roster diversity, but not their limited regional appeal.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The only real upside would be what it would do to a streaming catalogue of wrestling tapes. Adding the RoH back library to what's currently owned/distributed by WWE/Peacock would make a good thing even better.

Perhaps we can get Kahn to buy just the tape library.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He actually did reference those final Nitro promos when he announced his purchase of ROH ("It's not Shane McMahon who's name is on the contract")

Beyond that, it would be like when WWE bought WCW all over again, and as has been said, it would be horrible for the industry.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  7. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Also, financially, this is aggressively the opposite of WWE/WCW though right? WCW was starting to post losses and became a target by AOL suits who could overpower Ted Turner, so Vince a McMahon got it at a relative bargain.

Current WWE is in the catbird's seat re: broadcast rights b/c linear TV is relying on live sports to survive. FOX handed them a cool bil. Vince wants to monstrously cash out on this-- and prob throw some Stone-Cold-facsimile middle fingers about his "ouster" along the way-- so anyone putting in an offer would have to really shell out. Hard to see the Khans doing that even beyond the ego/logistical challenges.

I was late to a meeting typing this, but then opened the meeting talking about it (I work in advertising), so thanks for giving me technically less work today everyone.

DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. AOL/TW were desperate to be rid of WCW due to the financial loses and the general distaste for professional wrestling in general. Turner execs were wanting it gone from day one. They were not day oneish. The record profits of WWE make it attractive to Comcast and the Saudis.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    appleseed likes this.
  11. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Damn, how tragic. The Briscoes were a team that I’d always meant to check out and never did. I’d heard so much about how good their matches were I’d figure I’d wait until they signed for AEW, NJPW or even WWE and that’d be my catalyst to check them out properly.

Juliet316 and appleseed like this.
  12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    It's really sad the network wouldn't let them put the Briscoes on TV. It was always sad, but now it's even worse.

Jay was great.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The Briscoes last match was at the last AEW ROH run PPV where they beat FTR for the tag belts in that dog collar match.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    appleseed likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    This is why we didn't get a Jay Briscoe tribute on Dynamite:

**** the WB man.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    appleseed likes this.
  18. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Okada beating the **** out of Kiyomiya is legit the most I’ve ever been interested in Okada.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Mutah is challenging Naito in his final match.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Beginning and end talk heavily about Jay Briscoe

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    love that the entire aew locker room came out after that match, was a real good one.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yep, that was incredibly touching.

But also another giant middle finger to WBD for trying to keep that off television in the first place.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023