main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Problem Child - ObiWan/Qui-Gon AU (Second Teaser )

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Just_Jill, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kikeriki

kikeriki Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    Wonderful! The psychology of this is mind-blowing. Very realistic. This is so full of angst and sorrow! I like... :D

2. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Hmm, I can see what Obi's trying to do. He's worried that Qui's not like his other masters -- he doesn't know how to react to that. So maybe even subconsciously, he's trying to reassure himself that he's dealing with the same thing he dealt with before by provoking Qui-Gon to be abusive.

OR MAYBE NOT... 8-}

Well anyway, this chapter very nicely showed Obi-Wan's uncertainty -- and his imbalance when it comes to the Force. I don't think it is leading that way -- but I'm sure Yoda or Mace would have no problem pointing out that he's getting close to the Dark Side or something like that. Hm. That would actually work -- with Obi's fear of Jedi masters, fear leads to anger and hate.... Either way, we get Obi-Torture! Love how Qui-Gon's working hard with Obi and his patience. You're very good at frequent updates. I love that too. Lol, just everything about this fic is wonderful! Hope to see more soon :D

3. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I think I agree with everyone else - Obi-Wan is tryig to provoke an action he is familiar witih, but at the same time he wants to trust, wants the pain to end. I think he attached Qui-Gon out of frustration (which leads to anger ;) ).

Anyway, I'm glad to see this won't be easy. It shouldn't be - Obi-Wan has been through to much for that. And now I wonder if you will bring to light just what was done to Obi-Wan. We know of mental and physical attacks on him, but what kind? And what damage did they do?

As always, great post. :)

4. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Wow. That's all I can say- WOW!

;)

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan, he's trying to step back into familiar patterns, things he knows, just as any abuse survivor does. That was...ouchy, but very well written, Jill.

Oh, and I meant Obi's old masters. :p

*shakes fist at Obi's old masters*

:mad:

6. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Great post. I will concur with the majority. I think Obi Wan is trying to provoke a familiar reaction from this Master. He is very confused.
    Qui Gon must be very careful right now.
    Love this.
    More please

7. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I like the unease between Qui and Obi. It's so angsty. :) Obi seems confused to me. Hopefully, more time with Qui will make him more trusting of him so he'll open up more.

8. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Nothing left for me to say :(

'cept this is an AWESOME story Jill. Please keep up the good work!

:D The Wookiee

9. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Good morning.

Padawan_Travina - I just hope he learns that he can trust Qui-Gon and tell him what is going on...
    That would be nice, eh?

Jedi_Knight_Hunter - Excellent Job, but now I have to become a hunter of evil Jedi again
    Isn't "evil Jedi" an oxymoron? But I'm glad you love your work.

Jane Jinn - That's my favourite master!
    Yes, and mine (I like Obi-Wan better as an apprentice. At least, I know how to write him that way).

Nicky - him lashing out because he doesn't know how to react to the kindness Qui-Gon is showing him is so credible...
    There, Jane Jinn, is your answer of why Obi-Wan attacked. At least part of it. Thanks, Nicky!

Sheila - He doesn't know what to do around a master that is kind and patient.
    Exactly. Heartbreaking is the word.

Thanks for the frequent posts.
    You're very welcome. Thank you for the frequent reviews.

Lieutenant_Page - I never expected Obi-Wan to take down Qui-Gon.
    Surprising, isn't it? Obi-Wan in The Phantom Menace wasn't big then, and he was considerably smaller in this fic.

PadawanKitara - He really is walking the edge opf an emotional cliff.
    Excellent way of putting it. He really is.

Cicci - I can tell that this is not going to be an easy road for anyone.
    True. But that's what you read for, eh?

kikeriki - This is so full of angst and sorrow!
    Yep. Have to wade through it to get better, right?

Tahiri - He's worried that Qui's not like his other masters -- he doesn't know how to react to that.
    As good a guess as any I've heard.

obaona - Obi-Wan is tryig to provoke an action he is familiar witih, but at the same time he wants to trust, wants the pain to end.
    That's how I see it, but as I said before - I slept through my Psychology class.

Wild_Huntress - Wow.
    [face_blush] Thanks.

Jedi_Suzuran - just as any abuse survivor does.
    Oh, hey! I did something right! Thanks.

Ewanfan51 - Qui Gon must be very careful right now.
    Yes, he must. I agree.

Cascadia - Hopefully, more time with Qui will make him more trusting of him so he'll open up more.
    I'm certain that's what Qui-Gon hopes as well.

Flashbacca - Nothing left for me to say
    No worries. :)

Here's the next part.

Just Jill

10. Just_Jill

Jul 17, 2002
    Disclaimer: I did not create the Jala, but I do not remember where it came from.
    _________

Ch 9: "Fragile Lives, Shattered Dreams" - The Offspring, The Kids Aren't All Right

He was trapped, unable to move, feeling helpless, waiting for it to happen, for his Master (wait! He didn't have a Master!) to invade, hurt...

He shrieked, dragging himself out of the dream. The door slammed open and he scrambled to get away, pressed against the wall at the head of his bed, one arm raised to ward off the blow that was coming. He was so confused he wasn't even sure from whom he expected it.

"Obi-Wan?"

The voice was soft, deeper than any of his Master's voices, and vaguely familiar. Slowly, hesitantly, he lowered his arm, looking over it to stare at Qui-Gon. The Knight stood in the doorway, a solid figure in the half light from the stars. The Jedi had never stepped into the room once he'd said he wouldn't.

"Are you alright?"

He was trembling and couldn't stop, feeling cold. "J-just a n-nightmare," he stuttered. The panic faded slowly, but the trembling didn't.

"Would you like some hot Jala?"

Obi-Wan took a deep breath and was surprised to find himself nodding. "Yes, please." He got off the sleep couch and followed Qui-Gon into the kitchen, wondering why the Master hadn't asked about his dream.

With the first sip, warmth spread through him and the trembling stopped. He let out a sigh of relief.

"How long have you been having nightmares?" Qui-Gon asked gently as he sat down in the chair across from Obi-Wan, a mug held loosely in his hands.

Obi-Wan flinched, and then took a deep calming breath and let it out. "About two years," he said. "I think it was something Master Sorin did."

"Do you know what it was he did?"

Obi-Wan gripped his mug, staring into it. "Not exactly. He was... he would not let me see." He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "There are places in my mind I can't go."

"Because of Sorin?"

Obi-Wan barely heard him. "Yes," he said numbly. "And Master Denk and Master Toman."

"The Healers could probably fix those," Qui-Gon said.

"Or make it worse."

"How could they make it worse?"

Obi-Wan shrugged, gripping his mug. "That's what they said." He fell silent. After a minute, he drank again. His hands trembled. "I want them to stop," he said suddenly, staring into the mug. "I just don't know how to make them."

"I might be able to help," Qui-Gon said softly. "But I can't without your permission."

Obi-Wan's shoulders hunched. "I know."

"You don't trust me."

"I don't dare!" It was a surprise, how intense it came out. He set the mug down on the table, afraid he'd drop it.

"I know," Qui-Gon said gently. "That was not meant to be an accusation. I'm sorry."

Obi-Wan looked at him for a long minute, startled, before he remembered to drop his eyes. Just when he thought the Jedi couldn't surprise him, he did. His thoughts spun through his mind, incoherent, too fast to see.

"How can I help you to trust me?"

"I don't know," he said softly. "I really don't know."

"Then we'll figure out what works as we go." The Knight sounded certain, unruffled.

"What if nothing works?"

"If I cannot help you, Obi-Wan, someone will be able to."

The frustration he felt at the Jedi Knight's words was a surprise. "I don't want to be passed around like a failure again," he said almost bitterly.

Qui-Gon shook his head. "It is not your failing," he said softly. "It would be mine."

The shock slowed his reactions. "How?"

"Because I could not help you. I would send someone here much more qualified than I."

Obi-Wan's thoughts spun even more, and he took a deep breath to try to calm himself. "Who?" he managed to gasp.

"I don't know. I haven't reached that point yet. It's possible I never will. You're not impossible, Obi-Wan. It just takes time."

"How long?"

"However long it takes."

He felt like he was on a tightrope with no net, but he couldn't seem to express it, so he sighed. "Can you give

11. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    There's hope, there's hope! :D

Did the Healers actually tell Obi-Wan that they might make things worse? Or did Obi-Wan mean that his others masters had told him that? Hmmm.

I wonder if Obi-Wan is going to be subconsciously angry with Yoda when he comes, because Yoda might, in his mind, represent the Council, and he might just blame the Council for giving him three abusive masters in a row. If that's what happened, that is. Or were the masters not assigned? Did they volunteer to take him? Or did one ask the other to get the kid off his hands? Anyway, would Obi-Wan dare to attack Yoda? And how would Yoda defend himself if Obi-Wan did? He's not big enough to pin the boy physically, and using the Force would only scare Obi-Wan more ... right?

Wait and see, I know, I know. ;)

12. kikeriki

kikeriki Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    Wonderful! There is hope! Obi is finally beginning to trust.

13. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Great Post. Qui Gon is wonderful, so caring and patient, I know I said this before. Nice AU Qui Gon.
    Obi Wan is doing better with his new Mentor but that is in the daylight. I am worried about these nightmares. That Qui Gon has asked Yoda for help means he is taking them seriously also.
    More please
    Thanks

14. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Just_Jill
    I am newly arrived on the fanfic boards and got caught up with your incredible story. Normally, I don't like to read unfinished stories because they are too traumatic and confusing for me! :D However, your story is absolutely wonderful!

Firstly, it is refreshing to see Qui-Gon behaving like a sensitive, intelligent Jedi - in your story, I can see how he would be one of the foremost negotiators in the galaxy. Also, it is nice to see the stark realism in your depiction of recovery from abuse - never a quick-fix. Your style and choice of words are also wonderful - simple, effective, economical and capture the emotions beautifully (I don't like flowery-ness and rambling!) And lastly, how wonderful to see you weave such a gripping tale with sparse characters and settings!

A thought about the Foilani Knight: I wonder if she had planned to be Obi-Wan's fourth Master and finish him off? Qui-Gon's intervention may have spoiled her plans.

Thanks for posting so regularly! As Yoda would say, "Write more, you must!"

15. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I hope Yoda can help with those nightmares. :(

Qui-Gon was wonderfully understanding; and I think over time, that will get Obi-Wan to trust him. I can't wait :)

16. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    "How long have you been having nightmares?" Qui-Gon asked gently as he sat down in the chair across from Obi-Wan, a mug held loosely in his hands.

Obi-Wan flinched, and then took a deep calming breath and let it out. "About two years," he said. "I think it was something Master Sorin did."

"Do you know what it was he did?"

Obi-Wan gripped his mug, staring into it. "Not exactly. He was... he would not let me see." He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "There are places in my mind I can't go."

"Because of Sorin?"

Obi-Wan barely heard him. "Yes," he said numbly. "And Master Denk and Master Toman"
    :eek:

What in the world did those creeps do to poor Obi-Wan? :(

I liked the post. I wonder what the addition of Yoda will mean for Obi-Wan's recovery. Can't wait to find out! :D

17. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    Must...control...fist...of..death...

How did those Masters get away with this?! I hope Qui kicks their butts for this!

18. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Yes! Progress! Goody posts, Jill.

19. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Wonderful post, Jill! I really am wondering what those other masters did to Obi-Wan, and why doesn't he remember? Did someone put some kind of a block in his mind so he couldn't?

20. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    I completely forgot to comment on the new chapter!

Lovely emotions running through (especially Obi's suffering [face_devil] ) and I like how he's sort of learning to trust Qui-Gon a bit more. I'm really starting to wonder what those evil masters of his did to him! And why! Sheesh.... Blocking someone from themselves....

21. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *reminds self that can't kill fictional characters* :mad:

Okay, so his former Masters messed with his mind and then further messed with his mind so he can't remember it. :mad: Hopefully, Yoda's skill will be able to undo whatever those . . . *remembers this is a family friendly board* people did.

And Obi-Wan is beginning to trust Qui-Gon! :D :D :D [face_hopeful]

Are we seeing the light at the end of the tunnel? ;)

22. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    *joins the line wondering what those masters did to Obi*

What did they do? I'm very curious now.

And Yoda will step in. Hmm, this turns more intruiguing. Great post, Jill.

23. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Finally some progress. I don;t think Obi-Wan trusts Qui yet, but he seems to want to do it. The other master must have really hurt him worse than even the healers suspected if he can't even get to parts of his own mind/

24. Just_Jill

Jul 17, 2002
    Just in fair warning - Next Thursday will be the last post until the Tuesday after. I promise not to leave you in too bad a spot.

Jane Jinn - Wait and see, I know, I know.
    So many questions... Hopefully, the answers will come by the end. If not, there are still two more books to go....

kikeriki - There is hope!
    Yes, there seems to be hope.

Ewanfan51 - I am worried about these nightmares.
    They will go away. Eventually.

forever_jedi - Welcome!

Firstly, it is refreshing to see Qui-Gon behaving like a sensitive, intelligent Jedi - in your story, I can see how he would be one of the foremost negotiators in the galaxy.
    Another Qui-Gon fan! Huzzah!

Lieutenant_Page - I can't wait
    As I told Padawan_Travina - it's getting hard not to just post what I have...

Sheila - What in the world did those creeps do to poor Obi-Wan?
    That's what Qui-Gon wants to know.

Jedi_Knight150 - How did those Masters get away with this?!
    That, too, is a question on Qui-Gon's list.

Wild_Huntress - Yes! Progress!
    Nice feeling, isn't it?

Cascadia - why doesn't he remember?
    Remember what they did? He does. There are simply places in his mind he can't go.

Tahiri - I'm really starting to wonder what those evil masters of his did to him! And why!
    You could head the investigation...

obaona - Are we seeing the light at the end of the tunnel?
    Yes. It's the fire of an oncoming dragon.

Jedi_Suzuran - What did they do?
    That is a good question.

PadawanKitara - The other master must have really hurt him worse than even the healers suspected
    The Healers haven't really seen Obi-Wan for at least two years, maybe longer (depending on the last time he visited the Healer's Wing before he was chosen Padawan), other than the time he collapsed.

Thanks again for your thoughtful responses, guys. It always makes me think when you ask questions.

Here's the next chapter.

Just Jill

25. Just_Jill

Jul 17, 2002
    Ch 10: "To the Truth between the Lines" - Backstreet Boys, More than That

Qui-Gon's jaw tightened as he listened to the transcripts of Obi-Wan's former Masters again. The data pad in front of him held key words he'd picked up from them, all describing Obi-Wan. Lazy. Slow learner. Obstinate. Unwilling to apply himself. Distrustful. Angry. Disobedient. And the boy had heard every single accusation. No wonder the despair had been so heavy on him the day Qui-Gon found him curled under that tree.

He'd been able to refute every allegation except distrustful, and he couldn't because Obi-Wan didn't trust anyone. It seemed he had a good reason.

That Denk had said the boy was disobedient bothered him. He really didn't know what Denk had meant. Denk had been Obi-Wan's Master for the shortest time, only four months, but looking at the recording from when he repudiated Obi-Wan, much of the boy's spirit had been crushed. He'd managed a half-formed protest at his repudiation from Denk - he hadn't even tried, hadn't even looked up, the third time around with Toman. Stepped on, indeed.

Pressure built around him suddenly, and he knew what was coming. He was moving before Obi-Wan's scream split the air.

This nightmare was different. When he opened the door, his student was still trapped in it, thrashing weakly against his blanket. Qui-Gon hesitated only an instant before he moved into the room, hoping Obi-Wan would understand why he'd broken his promise not to enter. He caught the boy's flailing hands, pinning him gently to the bed. "Obi-Wan," he said. Obi-Wan gasped and struggled harder, putting real weight behind his thrashing. "Wake up."

Slowly, so slowly, the boy opened his eyes, then his movements eased and stilled. Qui-Gon let him go and stepped back, giving him room.

"Are you alright?"

Obi-Wan sat up and rubbed his face. "I don't know." He looked bleakly up at Qui-Gon. He didn't seem to mind the Jedi's presence, and Qui-Gon was surprised to find he was glad of that. "Why do I have these nightmares?"

"What happens in them?"

Obi-Wan took a deep breath. "Usually, I can't move, and I want to get away."

"From what?" Qui-Gon prompted when he didn't continue.

"My Master. But I don't have one."

Qui-Gon waited a while, but the boy didn't elaborate any further. "You said usually. Was this one different?" he pressed gently.

"Yes." Obi-Wan shifted a little, pulling his knees to his chest. "It was happening."

"What was happening?"

"Someone was getting into my mind. I couldn't get them out. Most of the time I just know it's going to happen, and that wakes me up."

"What happens when they get into your head?" Qui-Gon had to fight to keep his voice even. Sometimes when he asked questions of Obi-Wan, the boy went silent and didn't answer. He hoped that wouldn't be the case this time.

"Keep me from moving. Hurt..." He gasped a little, and the arms clasped around his knees tightened. "They hurt me, from the inside. Discipline, they said. For when I did something wrong."

Qui-Gon didn't respond for a moment, letting his anger pass through him. It took a while. "I see," he finally said, but his words were clipped. Obi-Wan cringed. "I'm not angry with you," Qui-Gon told him, relaxing enough to lean with one knee against the bed. "Yoda will be here tomorrow."

Obi-Wan's panic flared at that, and with it the Force swirled around him, dark and angry. Qui-Gon stiffened. "What's wrong?"

"It's not right," Obi-Wan snarled suddenly, but his gaze and the malice was not directed at him.

"What's not right?"

"He wants me to believe that Yoda will do as much damage as the Healers. It's not true," he snarled again.

"He who?"

"I don't know. Someone...." He sighed softly, and the Force around him calmed. "I just want it to stop," he whispered brokenly. "I want it to stop."

"It will," Qui-Gon promised. "I don't know when or how, but it will stop."

Obi-Wan hesitated, and then stretched his legs out again.

"Will you be able

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.