main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with Celebration 2

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by JediYvette , Oct 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Shara: That was my point though. How many people showed up to Celebration 1? Wasn't it something like 40,000 over the 3 day weekend? Please correct my if I'm wrong, but I thought it was some huge number like that.

Regarding the other events. Couldn't they have checked with the convention center to see what was going on? I don't really have any big problems with the way they're handling it though. They seem to be planning it much better than the way C1 was handled.

2. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    LordJedi, where did you hear that Wizards is worried that they're overselling tickets?

That was one of my biggest problems with the Celebration in Denver. The advance tickets meant nothing, really. They just kept selling them and kept selling them... then they sold unlimited tickets at the door... and they even sold day passes at local grocery stores around the greater Denver area! They put no limits on the number of tickets they'd sell... and were therefore totally overwhelmed at a facility not capable of supporting even 25% of the number of people who showed up. The combination of everything being outdoors (and in the rain, no less) would have been bearable if there hadn't been neverending lines due to there being way more people there than there should have. Likewise, the long lines would have been a little more bearable had the weather not been so bad. It was a no-win situation, to be sure.

Nobody has control over the weather... but they can control the numbers of tickets sold to limit the crowds. I just hope things are being planned this time to accommodate large numbers of people. Last time, only a small fraction of attendees actually got to witness the programs that were shown only once a day. If there are going to be programs - and not enough seating for everybody at once - then they need to cycle the programs throughout the day so that everybody will have a chance to get in.

3. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    First of all, to LordJedi, actually the numbers were around 25,000 over the three days, but people were counted 2 or 3 times in that number. They estimated, minimum, that same amount.

Second, the Indiana Convention Center is more than capable to handle the numbers we might be looking at. Fortunately, agreeing with Sebulba-X, the Indians Game, although right next door, won't really affect the numbers, at least the parking. Speaking from experience, attendees for the ball game will most likely park in the White River park/Zoo/Eiteljorg parking lots.

Some people have doubted Indianapolis' ability to handle this many people. We're looking at one day having about 40,000 people in the downtown area. But really this is nothing for the month of May. Just as in any other large city, parking may be a little crazy, streets may be a little jammed. My suggestion is find a place to park and park there all weekend. Some hotels offer parking as part of your stay. Just walk everywhere and if for some reason you or someone in your party needs to go somewhere, either walk or take a cab, unless it's really far off. Then drive.

4. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    Yeah, I'm definitely not worried about the city or convention center not being able to handle the crowds. I'm just hoping that Wizards plans their events according to the expected numbers of attendees. It would be nice to not spend the whole weekend in line.

5. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    I will tell you they are well aware of the inconveniences from last time. I have full confidence they will try to avoid those same problems this time. Some of those had to do with the location itself..those will go away rather quickly for obvious reasons. Other things under control of WotC I'm sure will be taken care of as well.

hey peeps, don't jump to conclusions until you see a schedule. And just be patient. We're all excited but things like planning a huge convention take time. :)

6. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I live around 20 minute's south of Indianapolis in Greenwood, Indiana and have been a STAR WARS fan for 25 of my 36 year's. I am very excited that CELEBRATION II is in Indianapolis. My wife and I did not make it to CELEBRATION I, because it wasn't as doable for us then as it would be now, but we are attendig CELEBRATION II and we will attend CELEBRATION III. For those who are going to attend CELEBRATION II that have never been to Indianapolis, I hope and I think you will really enjoy Indianapolis and for those who have been to Indianapolis, but did not enjoy it, I hope and I think you will enjoy it this time. Regardless, you are coming here for CELEBRATION II and that will be great.

As for the location of CELEBRATION III, I would think it is going to be in a central location as well, but we will attend it wherever it is held. Should it be held in Seattle, we would really enjoy going to Seattle. We spent our honeymoon in Ocean Shore's, Washington and the last night of our honeymoon at my brother-in-law's house in Seattle in 1995 and then went back to Washington in 1999 for my brother-in-law's wedding, spending the first part of our time in Seattle and the last part of our time in Ocean Shore's. Seattle is an incredibly beautiful city and Washington is an incredibly beautiful state.

I look forward to seeing everyone at CELEBRATION II and I look forward to seeing everyone at CELEBRATION III.

7. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    *waves her hand in Jedi-like style* ~~~You want to join the Indy Knights~~~

8. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I thought I might get a response from you, Shara. I'm curious about the Indy Knights. What can you tell me about the Indy Knights?

9. zathraaas

zathraaas Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2001
    I wouldn't worry about WOTC's ability to plan an event of this magnitude. I expect SWCII attendance to exceed their annual 25000+ Gencon game conventions..
    Indy was picked because it can handle it. Likewise, WOTC was picked, because they can handle it. They have an experienced convention staff and they are gearing up for it..
    It will be fantastic! I can't wait!

10. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    First of all, a few of you need to reread my initial post. I never said the Indiana Convention Center couldn't handle the level expected. I said they didn't expect the volume they're getting so they didn't reserve a large enough block of rooms. As a consequence, rooms are selling out faster than they expected.

I don't doubt their ability to plan/organize for CII. I was just citing something that I had found out and that I thought was rather odd considering CI.

11. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I am so tired of everyone complaining about the cost, the location, the hotels, blah...blah....blah....
    If my husband and I can save the $$$ to go after buying a house this year, having our second child-which I am staying home right now with the kids-so we are living on one paycheck-plan for the kids to be taken care of, make our own costumes, get a hotel without going through the SW store to do so-and by the way-Indy has a ton of hotels-you don't need to have one right next door to the Convention center-then I am sure you people can figure out a way to go! Get aecond job, find someone on the web to go with-whatever-just quit complaining because you don't like the location or you don't have any $$$! They can't have Anthony Daniels hosting a bash in your backyard for free!!!! Grow up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.