main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with fueding between EU and Non-EU Supporters on Film forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Stevious, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Stevious

Darth_Stevious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    This is a copy of a PM I sent to one of the EU Admins.

I don't know if you have been watching all of the flaming and feuding that has been going on in the movie forums between EU and Non-EU fans. I have a suggestion that might help solve this problem. Would it be possible to add a new forum topic to the EU section for discussing the movies? I have noticed there are sections for discussing the books, CCG, and Video Games but no Movie discussion area. This would give the EU fans a place to go and safely discuss the films with EU references without offending or upsetting anybody. I realize that this may be harder than it sounds to me (a person with little real computer knowledge), but it might be worth a try.
    I have always believed that this is supposed to be a fun activity and lately all of the negative posts between EU and Non-EU fans has been taking away from that fun. Thank you for your time and I hope that you will at least take this suggestion into consideration.

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Firstly, adding a forum isn't a big deal, so don't concern yourself with that.

Secondly, this has been brought up time and time again, and it's something i would like to see, but the mods don't see it as feasible.

However, things might have changed... *hopes*

¤Night

3. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    It is an idea, I'll give you that. ;) Yes, it has been discussed before in some form or another. In fact, there is talk circling it right now, but we are split on the issue. There maybe more on this in the upcoming ModSquad report so keep your eyes peeled.

4. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    As a regular in the Movie boards and not a EU fan, I think it is a great idea. It would hopefully eliminate the useless and repetitive canon wars, and it would make both sides much happier. Plus, EUists wouldn't feel like they are being denied the freedom to discuss the movies as they wish.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yes, we are discussing this in the Mod Squad right now. My thoughts are, that it is unneccasary. One, if we set this precendent now, what's next? AOTC and AOTC/EU? Should we seperate every Star Wars related board into a normal forum and an EU forum? Two, in CT, we have set rules for how EU discussion goes, and lately, things may have gotten hairy in there a bit, what with all the attention the PSA forum has been getting, but pretty soon, things will start slowing down and more attention will go back to the CT forum. Myself personally, I'm going to be trying to move back into the forum, more and more now. And the rules set out in the forum, will be enforced.

I just think its unnecassary, and things in general would be much better if other people respected other people's views and opinions and stopped taking themsleves so damned seriously.

6. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    if other people respected other people's views and opinions and stopped taking themsleves so damned seriously

obviously this is the best for everyone, but really, what are the odds it's going to happen?

¤Night

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Yeah, so the movie purists and their mods can bash the EU without anyone sticking up for it, wooooo [face_plain]

It isn't THAT often it crops up. Most EU mentions are by bashers taking pot shots. Then there's the odd thread or two that would STILL be posted, even with rules, except the poster would be savaged even worse than usual. I'd say one thread a day MAX get's very much into canon, and generally that's someone Bib bashing ( ;) )

And of course, does this mean same thing for similar cases? EU without the NJO? Zahn only EU? Music for CT only? An OT where nothing from the PT can be mentioned?

And of course, would we get our full quota of forums? Nope, we'd get one. And that's it. Due to the odd moan, bash and debate, we get segregated off from the rest of the board, and treated like some cheap cattle.

8. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I don't think there should be a seperate board. As an EU fan who frequents the film forums, I can say that I would probably go to the non-EU version more. Why seperate EU fans from the conversations? As DDH said, there are rules in place, and the problems stem from people ignoring those rules. EU explanations should never result in the problems that they sometimes do.

9. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "Most EU mentions are by bashers taking pot shots."

I see an awful lot more personal pot shots directed at both sides than actual out-of-the-blue attacks on EU.

10. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    personal pot shots are another thing though. They happen no matter what. People took shots at the person showing Yoda with an Orange sabre, probabky more than any EU related ones :)

11. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    There is also the possibility of mods redirecting arguements to other forums IN the movie forum so that they may still discuss the topic, but without killing the origional post. Maybe the mods could be told of skirmishes by others in the forum - go into the forum and say that this is the end and give a link for where to finish. Wouldn't be hard, and it is the job of mods to keep the boards functioning smoothly, is this a logical alternative?

12. Darth_Stevious

Apr 26, 2002
    Darth Dark Helmet: I don't think that it would have to end up heading down a slippery slope towards adding all kinds of unnecessary sub-forums. If you think about it we already have one forum for talk about the prequels with spoilers and one with no spoilers. Is that so much different than having a forum for discussion with EU references and one without?

13. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I suggest put it on a trial run first, if it is a success, keep it. If not, good try.

14. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    There's no such thing as a trail run on a MB. If it doesnt work, then you either delete loads of posts, or shrug and move on

15. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Then do that if it don't work.

MB? :confused:

16. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I've gone back and forth on this in the Mod Squad. At first I liked it because something had to be done but now I don't think it's the best solution.

Putting movie forums in the EU section wouldn't work because the whole point is that EUer like to "inform" non-EUers about stuff. They'd be preaching to the choir. Putting EU forums in the movie section is a little better idea but would be harder to maintain and would be rather redundant.

I think it would just be easier to try to enforce the current rule more. It's not that CA and those who contribute in CT don't do a great job, it's just that it's so rampant and it's not something you really want to ban a bunch of people for. I mean everything else gets criticized here. "TPM Sucks", "The Christmas Special Sucks", "The PT Sucks", "The Mods Suck" but if someone says the EU sucks, we're supposed to hand out bannings? It seems a bit harsh, especially when even saying that the EU isn't canon is almost breaking the rule, if it starts a canon war.

I dunno. The rules that CA made are good ones. If we can find a way to get everyone to follow them, without being so heavy handed that every other person in the forum gets banned, we wouldn't need any new forums.

17. Darth_Stevious

Apr 26, 2002
    I agree that the rules in the movie forums need to be followed. I also feel that the door needs to swing both ways. I have only been coming here for a short time, but I have seen just as many posts attacking innocent references to the EU as I have seen posts flaming those who don't subscribe to the EU. Personally I find both deplorable.

The rules state that you are allowed to mention EU in your answers as long as you don't insist that it is the only answer. Therefore anyone who flames someone for mentioning the EU in his/her post should be punished the same way as someone who argues that his/her EU answer is the one and only true answer.

I also have noticed that there are a lot of bad feelings between certain members of the forums that result in an instant flame war the moment one or the other of them opens their mouth. This should not be tolerated either. For this to work the Admins are going to have to work a lot faster at locking threads that turn into flame wars or deleting inflammatory posts out of an otherwise innocent topic thread. The personal battles and agendas of individual forum members should not be allowed to take away from the enjoyment of this forum by others.

Once again I want to reiterate that I am not pointing the finger at any one particular member or group of members. From where I sit, both sides are just as guilty of causing the problem and need to work equally as hard to solve it (or have it solved for them by the Admin staff).

18. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I always try my harsest to say "In the EU", or "In such and such a novel" :)

MB?

Sorry, messageboard :)

19. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    The creation of this new board seems as if the EUers are being swept under the rug, and that doesn't seem right - they should be allowed to frequent the film forums without fear of bashing. Furthermore, I honestly do not see the creation of a new board as a solution to the problem, as I think this debate will continue to pop up all over the forums (heck, I have seen people take shots both ways in JCC threads!). In other words, a new board will not erase the hate.

It seems to me as if the solution to this problem must come from the users themselves - people on both sides of the EU-cannon debate must learn express their opinions politely and also to respect the opinions of others. How this is to be accomplished is more difficult matter, one to which I wish had a solution.

20. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Swept under the rug? We bend over backwards for the EUers. The EU is undisputed in all but the movie forums. All we're trying to do is let the other viewpoint exist somewhere.

21. MasterPulp

MasterPulp Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2002
    What if, instead of segregating the fans, you imposed short, slap-on-the-wrist bans for people who started the arguing? Maybe a lot of these people don't realize their tone and attitude. The short ban could motivate them to adjust their communications skills. If it were to continue to be an issue, it would be clear that it was intentional and against the rules, and a permanent ban could be imposed.

22. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    Bra, I didn't mean to imply that the EUers were "swept under the rug" by the Administration (Quite the contrary, as evidenced by the concern displayed for them in this thread.). Rather, I meant that the EUers were being "swept under the rug" by users intolerant of others' viewpoints. Sorry about the confusion. ;)

23. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    The EU is undisputed in all but the movie forums. All we're trying to do is let the other viewpoint exist somewhere.

The problem lies with the fact that EUers do not feel welcome in the movie forums, thanks to the harsh treatment they receive from the fans there. The movies are the core of Star Wars, and what created it all. Doesn't it seem kind of unfair that those who appreciate the continuation of the story cannot feel at home in the movie forums, thanks to the verbal potshots that are constantly taken at them?

JMA

24. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    If my mocking the EU every once in a while bugs you...I don't really care.

I think poking fun at the SW universe is harmless fun as long as its not trolling. (like Padme-Bra said, look at the Christmas Special Sucks thread etc...).

People take SW, more specifically the EU, way too seriously. And that applies to both sides. You see people like BFT quoting statements from LF like he's just discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls, and then you see some canonists go after EUer's like it's the Spanish Inquisition. (Which I didn't expect when I first joined)

*dresses up as General*

The whole thing is silly!

*back*

Why can't the old rules cover this problem? If someone is flaming they get disciplined. If someone is trolling, they get disciplined.

And don't take sarcasm away. If you take away sarcasm only trolls will have sarcasm.

*end rant*

25. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    If my mocking the EU every once in a while bugs you...I don't really care.

I certainly don't mind if you mock the EU on occasion, seeing as it's not my place to tell you what you can and can't mock. I'm just saying that I know that quite of the few of the EU fans don't venture into the movie forums, because they feel so unwelcome.

JMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.