main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with fueding between EU and Non-EU Supporters on Film forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Stevious, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    "ZANG!"

[image=http://www.tvdance.com/waynesworld/garthhip.gif]

[image=http://www.tvdance.com/waynesworld/gfox1.gif]

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    And if anyone was wondering why intelligent discussions were so difficult...

3. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Biased language pretty much put an end to a chance of serious debate ;)

4. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Its Wayne's World! Party time! Excellent!

woo woo woo

C'mon, an EU-Canon discussion needs some breaks of humor. ;)

5. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    This is for the Administrators, Moderators and higher ups and I mean this with all sincerity.

I've been into STAR WARS since 1977 and I'm a huge fan of STAR WARS in all of its' forms, of George Lucas and of George Lucas' vision of STAR WARS.

If it wasn't for George Lucas and his giving us the STAR WARS movies and giving us his vision of STAR WARS, this site wouldn't exist. I don't understand how there can be so many forums on this site, yet there isn't a forum where the STAR WARS movies can be discussed and speculated over based only on the movies, movie related material, George Lucas and George Lucas' vision of STAR WARS.

The bashing and bickering and baiting and pouncing in the movie forums over EU and what is and isn't canon is rediculous, regardless of who, what, where, when, why and how and although many do follow the rules, not everyone does follow the rules.

I don't mean this as an insult and this doesn't apply to everyone and everything, but I don't see enough respect for and understanding of the STAR WARS movies, George Lucas and George Lucas' vision of STAR WARS, the very reasons for us having STAR WARS at all. The very reasons this site exist.

Administrators, Moderators and higher ups, please feel free to respond, here or through PM(s).

6. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    Its obvious that both sides have now gone pre-World War I on each other. Militarism is at an all time high, with the injection of newer users who have yet to verse themselves in the ways of the boards and disturb the peace by brash invasions of the other sides' threads. *Cough* Azzungther *Cough* BitterPower *Cough* anti_purist *Cough*

Hopefully, these persons act of their own accord, not being affiliated with any EUDF or ExU, and then get reigned in by more civil members - Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek to anti_purist: "This is a no-fly zone, anti-purist. This thread...is no place for a purist/completist war."

Nevertheless, when these lone users come trolling to each respective side of the fence, it is the other side's job to return them to the appropriate board. When a person affiliated with the EUDF or ExU comes trolling, it becomes our responsibility to remind them of their actions.

This issue, EU versus Films, is certainly the Balkans to today's JC. Don't go letting a lone hothead like Princip start another long and potentially pointless war, dragging in everyone in an incredibly destructive conflict.

The JC is a big place, yet it is impossible for us to "all get along". Keep your side of the fence clean and well-kept, but remember the duty that we all have to "repel all boarders".

7. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Looks like SOMEONE just got done writing a term paper on pre-WWI politics...

8. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    You bet.

Life imitates art, or in our case, JC posts.

9. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Hmmmm, what posts were removed?

10. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    My old posts were removed. I got rid of my '02 user name.

Can't we all just get along? ?[face_plain]

11. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Sure.

When the Purists all die and/or leave.

I jest. :p

Edit - Well...I read over these last four pages. Lots of interesting stuff, some good ( Now I finally understand what Jedi-Merkurian's project was all about! ), and some bad ( only movie stuff in movie forums. )

All I can really say is that I really have been in the thick of these flame wars in the movie forums, specifically PSA, which may perhaps be the most dangerous of all.

I began posting at the JC ( regularly ) as of April of last year. Since my two favorite aspects of Star Wars fandom were the EU and movie spoilers, I began to frequent Literature and Episode II ( Spoilers Allowed. )

Within days of posting in the AotC and movie forums, I began to see that many fans did not like the EU. But I did not relent. I didn't resort to petty bickering, insults or "___ sucks!". I informed. I defended. I stuck that shining sword of the EU where the twin suns of Tatooine don't shine in many a poster.

I was rejected by some, lumped in with Bib and darth-sinister by others, and respected by some. But I stood my ground and, while sometimes not always being as logical as I would've liked, I came through it stronger than before, smarter, was accepted as a mod ( who still frequents the movie forums mind you ), and actually came to terms and made friends with people that still in fact are diametrically opposed to my love of the EU. ::A nod to Twink_Kee::

In order to "win" this battle, you must open yourself to a greater and more broad understanding. And that is to bridge the gap between the different sides in the conflict. To combine light with darkness.

To balance the Force, you could say.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  13. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    For anyone keeping track at home, Sturms system is known as "smite the unbelievers with explanatory posts"

And personally I've seen a drop in tension the CT forum.

14. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    smite the unbelievers with explanatory posts

Well I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

15. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    noone expects the SPanish Inquisition :)

16. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    [image=http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/paulfitz/spanish/tt2.jpg]

:p

17. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    can everyone stop with the pictures and return to intelligent conversation???

sturm, thank you for your thoughts.

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    You have to admit, though, Reaper gave the perfect opening for a picture.

There's always room for Python, regardless of whether the discussion's intelligent or not. :D

19. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Right on, Genghis.

*hands Genghis the comfy pillow*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.