main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Production to Start Early 2014

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Jun 8, 2013.

1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Nailed it, perfect comment. The other thing that bothers me is if you are such a huge fan like everyone keeps telling us and grew up with Star Wars and this is your dream to work on this maybe you should stop mentioning how it's such an inconvenience for you to delay your vacation.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Be fair now, some casting might be announced by November then we can have threads battling each other about actorly merit!

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Phew. For a moment there, I was fearful that we may run out of nothing to talk about.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I woke up with this "just direct the script, don't be 'clever'" line in my head. "Martin Scorsese, don't be clever. Just direct the script."

"Don't be clever, Spielberg. Just direct Peter Benchley's book."

"Just direct the script, Zemeckis. Don't try to be clever. Just hire some actors to play the presidents."

5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Couldn't agree more with both comments.

So, what is the difference between 'honoring' and 'revering'? They mean the same thing.[face_thinking]

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  6. jedilips

jedilips Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013

Also Lucas operated on a very odd schedule/timing. He was in his own little world... didn't have to answer to a studio. There's a different plan in place now.

7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Also, I want to mention that Ang Lee would be an excellent director for a SW film. I cannot recall anyone (news service) throwing his name around. He knows the language of story. He takes intelligent risks and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon just seems like a great title in the SW universe. Crouching Jedi, Hidden Sith. It could be a little too obvious as a title.:)

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Uggh, for me I would say "no thanks" for Ang Lee. He just seems like he'll direct whatever he thinks will net him Academy Awards.

9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Really? I've not seen all of his films, but the ones I have seen have impressed me in there diversity of genre, commitment to story and the ability to tell a story, visually. I understand what you are saying, but he's only won awards for Crouching Tiger-Hidden Dragon, Brokeback Mountain and Life of PI (which I have not seen, but I've heard good things). The man takes risks, from that record alone. I haven't seen Into Darkness, but I wouldn't mind seeing a director of the caliber of Jackson, Nolan and /or Lee direct a feature SW film.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

That's true... and it's weird, I was thinking that he (or the movies he's directed) had won more Oscars.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm okay with Peter Jackson's work, but he really thinks too in-the-box for my taste. His sense of humor sometimes falls short and I will never forgive him for making Legolas the Starkiller of LOTR movies, while at the same time reducing Gimli to a bumbling idiot for a cheap laugh.

gregvader123 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    No Peter Jackson, please. Seeing Episode 9.1 & Episode 9.2 & ending with Episode 9.3 would really disrupt the trilogy feel of the saga.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Jackson's best film is Meet the Feebles.

14. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Peter Jackson? NO. Let's see how Abrams does before we start floating other directors around.

15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Just less than a year! Cannot wait. I'm sure by than we'll get much more updates on the movie.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Revering: a second Death Star, a ship blown up with proton torpedoes by a young Skywalker, a Sith asking a Jedi to join him to overthrow his master, a resurrected Darth Maul...a cloned Emperor, a New Republic? The "rhyming" like poetry, as Lucas put it, of the Prequel Trilogy with the Classic Trilogy has been done. It might not be a tactic upon which the story's structure will rely for the Sequel Trilogy...but it could still honor STAR WARS by not doing something totally uncharacteristic of STAR WARS and its origins. The key is to present a new story respectful of what has come before it but not too familiar.
    And surely Abrams isn't complaining about missing a vacation but just being humorous about it.
    And yes, it is his toy. Abrams is being entrusted to inject his talents more than people seem to realize.

17. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Sorry, I just don't see the big deal with what he said. He seems sincere, and honestly, I don't want a rehash of the OT. I believe all he is saying is that he wants to respect the work, while bringing something new to the table. He loves Star Wars. Seems like we're just looking for aspects to nitpick now. :)

18. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I hope they don't rush this. :(

19. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Grouping Abrams with Spielberg or Scorcese? He's not quite the same caliber. Not yet, anyway.

20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I can agree with this, he just didn't put it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for a great SW film, just concerned that the film will be stylistically Abrams and not SW. IMO the style of SW is sacrosanct. Lucas wrote the treatment, Arndt the script. As long as we don't see super fast cutting, shaky cameras and a made for television film, it'll be O.K. Also, no alternate universes or flash sideways, please.[face_peace]

21. man of steel

man of steel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    if it even looks like a abrams film you wont be seeing episode 8 or 9 i mean as good as his movies are there freaking ugly:(

22. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I wasn't so much grouping Abrams with Spielberg and Scorsese and Zemeckis, but pointing out how "just direct the script" doesn't make any sense. Stylistic choices are made in every movie to make what appears on screen.

Chewgumma and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Very well said. =D=

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  24. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Sure it does: this doesn't require the "wheel" to be re-invented. Kirhsner & Marquand & Filoni brought plenty to SW but they didn't try to re-invent it from the ground up. That's all I was saying ;)

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That is all true, but "just direct the script" still doesn't make any sense.
    If Kirshner had just "directed the script", a certain dialogue would have gone like this:

Leia: I love you!
    Han: I love you too!

In fact, a lot of those little character moments that make ESB so great are thanks to Kirshner, not the script.

I sure hope JJ doesn't "just direct the script".