main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Proposals for the reorganisation of FF-UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Darth_Asabrush, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    This topic is in response to tc's suggestions in FF Comms. Please read that thread before responding here.

For your information this is the opening post with the following responses.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID!

An Idea

Traditionally the UK-FF was very much a central group of posters. The situation was that the vast majority of people posted all their threads on the general board. The regional boards were very much marginalised. Indeed, the RSA's at the time would often advise people to post on the main board, not the regional board.
    Any call for more then one CR was dismissed without, or so it seemed, any thought. Indeed, for much of the time we had 2 RSA's yet no full CR. {Alphawolf was meant to be both CR and RSA, yet I never saw him at a meet-up, nor saw him organise one}.
    The combination of these factors, along with their being a long entrenched and close group in the main forum, rightly lead to calls by prospective members of cliquiness and cronyism, in my opinion.

Since then much has changed. There has been arguments, flamings, bannings, resignations and all that tfn/jc/ff jazzy drama that we are all too used to.

We are now left with, in my opinion, a pretty decent RSA. The regional forums are encouraged and there is a translucency between the fan force administration and the members that has never been there before, at least in my tenure.
    There are a few big issues left though.

* There aren't many members. Infact, the ratio of socks to actual posting members is about 10:1.
    * The is one (1) City Rep to cover seven (7) regional areas. From the tip of Scotland to the end of England, over the valleys of Wales and into Ireland. In my opinion this is far too much for one struggling student, for that is she, to manage.
    * I'll put this as politely as I can, many users do not like the current attitude of our CR. It is not hard to understand how this has happened though. The position, as it stands, is nearly impossible to fully carry out.
    * There are actually more meet-ups being planned then ever, though they tend to either die if organised on the boards or happen privately.

I would like to suggest a radical overhaul of the UK FF.

The first (change) I would like to make is that each board that exists should have it's own City Rep if it meets the criteria.
    The second is that each of the sub boards should also be able to have it's own website.

The... [watch out, sarcasm moment ahead] Hang on! - Those ARE the FF rules......

Yes, basically I'm asking for the same rules to be applied in the UKFF as elsewhere.
    I reckon that by pushing the regional boards, plus adding a new 'London' board somewhere sown the line, we can have a situation where there are many regional meet-ups happening throughout the year. These can then culminate in a nationwide meet up once a year.

If you, being the administration, disagree, then I suggest you get rid of the regional boards. It would make life a lot easier. It really is pointless having them if the members, or prospective members, feel they cannot have any autonomy whatsoever.

Giving autonomy to the regional sections and encouraging them would not only, once and hopefully for all, stop the 'clique' wars but also would boost fanforce significantly in the UK. More meetups, more reports on the meetup and less needless drama on the boards.

Final response from D_A:

Hello everyone

A lot of what tc says makes sense and I have told him this via PM. As has already been stated I have brought this up in OFH and the topic is being discussed.

I was going to wait for some definate ideas to be rasied in the OFH before opening up the debate. This seems to have move faster than I anticipated.

Let me state for the record that I believe LV is a splendid CR. No one can doubt her dedication to the role IMO. However, she does have a lot of ground to cover and I have discussed the issue with her. Both she and I agree that additional CRs would be a wise move forward.

I am closing this thread a

2. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    :eek:

Whats all this the ?

3. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    It refers to a thread started by tc in FF Comms.

I locked the thread and have reopened it here.

The basic outline is the restructuring of our club.

More CRs for the regions and more defined chapters etc.....

At present we have one CR for the whole UK. This isn't workable or effecient which is no disrespect to LV who is a great CR.

4. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Alphawolf and I discussed regional CRs a few times, but it always came back both to the lack of posting activity in the regional forums and actual organisation of meetups.

5. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    yes Ki from NSW said that they have to be official chapters to get they're own CR.

This is my idea, right to get more CR's we need more meets. For that we need more people. If we let the CR make the banner for the fan force site. And get the details updated whether it be me or you that does it DA. And try to get most people involved then we can make the sub categories official chapters.

Because as it stands they are not so the admins will refuse more CR's.
    We need to get an icon up and sort out this forum's layout.

6. jamie69

jamie69 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    hi there.
    i hereby declare myself the city rep for the region of (south east) ESSEX.
    and beyond...

kneel.
    :)

7. jamie69

Apr 6, 2002
    dogs!

8. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    lol Jamie it doesn't quite work like that ;)

One thing though if we want this to happen it means not just posting here but on sub areas also occasionally, because alot of new people go there but leave because no one else posts there

9. jamie69

Apr 6, 2002
    and furthermore,i nominate TURR PHENNIR as city rep for the midlands.

hail to turr phennir!
    hail-
    hail-
    hail.

10. jamie69

Apr 6, 2002
    baby,i got the means and i got the beans!
    ;)

11. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    lol

As I said it doesn't work like that ;)

12. jamie69

Apr 6, 2002
  13. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    Normally a official chapter is normally a forum i.e the midlands board so for a start you need at least three members. But to actually make it an official chapter it has to have I believe at least 3 meets before it can be made official. Then can people ask for a city rep for they're chapter.

14. jamie69

Apr 6, 2002
    so how does it work,girlie?

15. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    :: walks thru in kilt, playing pipes, and trailing Saltire ::

I trust any talk of doing away with regional boards has no relevance to our not-quite-autonomous nation state? :)

:: continues listening, whilst casually sharpening claymore ::

16. jamie69

Apr 6, 2002
    you're wayyy ahead of me,i see.

17. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    I'm a woman ;)

anyway I have a cold and have to be up for college in the morning so I'm going to bed.

If you have any more questions PM me and I'll answer them in the morning :)

18. jamie69

Apr 6, 2002
    she's all woman!
    :eek:
    ;)

19. westford

westford Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    There are actually more meet-ups being planned then ever, though they tend to either die if organised on the boards or happen privately.

How many people constitutes a meet-up?

20. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    [L_V]Normally a official chapter is normally a forum i.e the midlands board so for a start you need at least three members. But to actually make it an official chapter it has to have I believe at least 3 meets before it can be made official. Then can people ask for a city rep for they're chapter. [L_V]

so, let me be clear on this......

if.....for example, on the next three Fridays of this month, the regular Scots, Westie, Padawan SDM and I, plus maybe an irregular and a guest or two, got together for a drink, and then posted some photographs as proof of three meet-ups..... this would entitle us to.....
    a) our own banner
    b) our own website under the FF-UK umbrella
    c) our own City Rep
    d) all our oil back
    e)a one-off #10 million grant towards finding the Scottish National Football team a new manager
    e)our, of course [face_mel] FREEEDOMMMMMMMMMMMM ?????

21. Darth_Dashit

Darth_Dashit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    LOL @ MDD
    Well 3 out of 6 isnt bad, and it would take more than £10 million to do anything with the scotland team.

I think it is a good idea to have more C.R.'s but douth there is a need for the C.R.'s to have individual boards,this will have the effect of dilluting the normal boards, and i douth the C.R. boards would be used enough to warrent having them.

22. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Perhaps we should nominate our own CRs regardless - they don't have to be official with the pretty blue colour.

Jamie makes a good example - if we want CRs, we just nominate them and then the admin can choose to recognise them or not, but at least we have one contact for the various regions doing meets.

I don't see why we need admin approval to nominate our own CRs - if we want them, we should just pick them :D If the admin decide not to agree, D_A and LV can post the meet details on the Tf.n webpage, and don't forget the Activities forum. If it turns out successful then we can campaign for the official approval for the new CRs ;)

23. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    lol

I don't see why they couldn't argue with that.

You'll still be under the British Isles section but yeah you basically get an icon, banner and city rep. :)

24. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Ok.
    I've read all the comments here, and on the original thread. Generally, I'd have to agree with TC and SebX that the reorganisation would be beneficial. It is up to us though to think of the best ways to do this.. maybe find out from the regional boards how many people are there regularly, and locations and stuff for starters.

However, I am more than a little upset that people have jumped down TC's throat for 'attacking people' (in that thread) when it was a useful post simply describing the situation as it stands. If people would take the time to read the message properly before assuming things, then I'm sure we wouldn't have as much crap on this board as we have done.

25. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    Ireland hasn't not had a post in days, last post on both of them were by myself.

Scotland can be made an official chapter straight away once they get three meets organised I think. (I?ll have to check if it is three meets)

Northern England, there are not many posts there. Most of them at the moment are regarding a North East meet I am organising.

Southern England not quite sure on that one to be honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.