main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends "Provenance" - Luke Skywalker / Mara Jade - A powerful foe from Mara’s past reappears.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeSphera, Dec 16, 2018.

1. JadeSphera

JadeSphera Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2018
    "Provenance"
    A Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade story.
    40 Chapters.
    Anchored in the Legends Universe but goes kind of AU.

"Provenance"
    by JâdSphera

Summary:

A powerful foe from Mara’s past reappears and a certain Jedi can help her. Unbeknownst to both, Luke and Mara set themselves in a journey of self-discovery while unexpected origins arise.
    Sometime between 18 and 19 ABY, before “Spectre of the Past.”
    A lot of events go AU from here.

Chapter 1

This story has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Jâd Sphera -- a definitely compelling beginning full of mystery and urgency fromMara and a determination to stick by her side through anything that comes from Luke [face_love] I have no words to express how thrilled I am to have a fellow L/M lover posting stuff on these boards.

I've read some of your stuff on AO3 and it's YUMMY! L/M will always be among my favorite SW true-love pairings. :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Jâd Sphera and Mira_Jade like this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Huh, what a fascinating tale so far! [face_thinking] :eek:

Honestly, you had me at Luke/Mara - my shipper's heart skipped a beat something fierce for that, and knowing the predicted length just sealed the deal! I'm so excited to see this through from the beginning. :D [face_dancing]

But, that said, I have to say how very intrigued I am now after reading! This entity doesn't seem like any ol' villian of the day to confront and defeat. Her story and motives and power all have a real fantasy edge to it that I find fascinating - especially seeing as how she operates outside of the Force, apparently. And her connection to Palpatine! That makes perfect sense, and even fills in a few canon holes. He always has been obsessed with immortality and power, and this witch really sounds like a real nasty sort. Right up his alley. :p

But the real disturbing thing is just how worried Mara is here. She's not one to take to fear and panic easily, and this witch certainly has her hackles up. Luke is right to share her misgivings! I love how strong their friendship already is, with him so earnestly wanting to help. They have quite the adventure waiting for them, it looks like!

Then:
    [face_laugh] I loved the little moments like this that crept in! That one had me laughing out loud. Oh, this fic is just like old times . . . [face_love]

This is off to a great start! I look forward to more. =D=

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  4. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Hi Mira_Jade!

Thank you for reading. I’m glad that you are liking this story so far.
    This story has been badgering me for so long… and I finally gathered the resolve to put in down on paper and get done with it!

I’m happy to hear that you find it fascinating and are intrigued. This tells me that I’m heading in the right direction. :D Always comments from readers are SO helpful!

I will be posting chapter number two shortly. Things might get a bit slow with the holiday season, but after New Years I will be posting a new chapter every Sunday until it’s done. So, stay put!

Thanks again for taking the time to read and to comment.
    Jâd.

5. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Provenance - Chapter 2
    by JâdSphera

Notes:
    English is not my first language. I write in English to become more proficient in the language.

I would like to agian thank my great Beta Reader @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the generous and priceless help with proof reading this chapter. Thank you Ny!

And thank you all for reading!
    I hope you enjoy this second chapter.

If you are kind enough to leave a comment it will be much appreciated ;) We writers love to know what readers think and like to know if we are on the right track!
    Thank you!

Chapter 2

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I do not believe in coincidences. LOL I think this exotic visitor is connected to Mara's quest either in innocent (as a victim" way or :oops: as a participant. Luke does not seem oblivious to her "charms", although I hope it's no more than reacting to an attractive and eloquent lady.

I absolutely enjoyed Mara's sleuthing. :cool:

Eager to find out what she discovers.

AzureAngel2 and Jâd Sphera like this.
  7. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Provenance - Chapter 3
    by Jâd Sphera

Notes:
    And the story continues.

Thank you to my awesome Beta Reader @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the wonderful support with proof-reading this story.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and leave a comment ;)
    Hope you enjoy this Chapter!

Chapter 3

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great progress on possibly connecting the kidnapping case with what Mara is looking into. Love their friendship and what she gave him, a true treasure personally and otherwise. Absolutely adored the spontaneous hug and especially that Mara liked it too. ;)

AzureAngel2 and Jâd Sphera like this.
  9. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    I loved writing the part of the hug [:D], that information means so much to Luke.
    Will see what’s in those files and what path these might put them on. ;)

10. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Provenance - Chapter 4
    by JâdSphera

Notes:
    And the story keeps growing.

Thank you to my awesome Beta Reader @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the wonderful support with proof-reading this story. You’re the best!

Davik Oligard appears courtesy of mooseman13579 .
    Please check out his wonderful gold nugget of a story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/4030222
    More on this character to come.

And to everyone reading, thanks a lot for taking the time to read and leave a comment ;)
    Hope you enjoy this Chapter!

Chapter 4

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb! I like Ooryl, a Findsman pilot. Something our very talented @Findswoman ;) would appreciate.

Luke's friendships with Wedge and with Corran shine through wonderfully here. Great details on the pieces that need to be in place for a complicated mission with so many facets to cover.

Ratvissa knows that Luke's "best friend" is more than that to him, [face_mischief] but does Luke, yet? He seems fascinated and enthralled by the lovely, intelligent Ambassador. [face_thinking]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Jâd Sphera and Findswoman like this.
  12. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Hi Ny!

Something I like about the Star Wars Universe is the variety of characters there is, not only human but of so many other spices :yoda:.

I liked Ooryl when I got to meet him in Michael A. Stackpole’s novel “I, Jedi.” So I thought I should invite him to this Fic ;). And I like exploring Luke’s friendships, he’s got so many good friends over the years!

I’m glad you enjoyed this chapter :D.

Thank you for leaving a comment. @};-

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  13. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Provenance
    by Jâd Sphera

Notes:

Again heartfelt thanks to @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the awesome support with proof-reading this story. You’re helping me to get better!

And once more, to everyone reading, thanks a lot for taking the time to read and leave a comment ;)
    Hope you enjoy this new Chapter!

Chapter 5

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful characterization of not just Mara, but Ghent, and Karrde. =D= I am so relieved that the data wasn't lost but only doubly encrypted. Loved Mara's reflections on Luke. [face_dancing] Their friendship is a marvel indeed and always with an undercurrent of something more. ;)

Jâd Sphera likes this.
  15. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    I'm happy to hear that the characterizations have done the honours. Your feedback means a lot ^:)^.
    I loved writing the scene of Mara and Ghent trying to crack the encryption. It was a lot of fun to write!
    And yes, there is always an undercurrent of something in Luke and Mara's friendship. I think this is what makes it so interesting to all of us! [face_love]

Thank you for reading! @};-

16. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Provenance
    by Jâd Sphera

Notes:

I would like to thank mooseman13579, who was kind enough to let me use Davik Oligard, a character of his creation, in my current story. I hope I made him justice. In this Chapter I’m only elaborating on mooseman’s idea.
    I really recommend the reading of his wonderful one-shot "The Old Man's Gift". Here’s the link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/4030222
    I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did.

And again, thank you @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the generous and priceless help with beta-reading this story :)

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy this new chapter.

Chapter 6

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful with Davik and very plausible that Vader would leave everything to Luke, for whatever motive :p And great irony that Luke took the benefaction of a Darth and turned it into funding the Jedi. Superb that the Jedi are thus free from having to be bound to any governmental restrictions, i.e., if they got funded primarily by the NR, the latter could make demands. [face_thinking]

I do enjoy the Han and Luke friendship immensely. :cool: Their loyalty, genuine respect and affection is a treat.

Jâd Sphera likes this.
  18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Naturally Han would wait until Luke is totally wiped to call and tell him "Get yourself duded up because I'm taking you out to a bar, and no, I ain't gonna take no for an answer." [face_laugh]

19. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Hi Nyota!
    I'm glad that you like this idea of Luke inheriting Vader's fortune. I like it that the Jedi can be completely independent.
    Han is an awesome friend and I think Luke brings out all the good in him. :)
    Thank you for reading! @};-

Hi Cowgirl Jedi 1701!
    Yes! LOL! Han would definitely do that to Luke! That was exactly what I was thinking when writing this scene [face_laugh]
    Expect more things to happen with these two! ;)
    Thank you for reading!

20. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Provenance
    by Jâd Sphera

Notes:
    Thank you to my wonderful Beta Reader @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the great support with proof-reading this story.

Chapter 7

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Heh, heh. Of course they would wind up tangled up in a bar brawl.

Jâd Sphera likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    That was a marvelous mix of camaraderie and realization about Mara and Luke being ... awesome with a lightsaber. ;) [face_love] When these 2 get together, nothing dull ever happens. [face_laugh]

Jâd Sphera likes this.
  23. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Yes! That was the obvious part ;) I hope I did it justice!
    :yoda:

I agree, Luke and Han are awesome on their own, but together their awesomeness increases exponentially ;)
    I really enjoyed writing this chapter. The action scenes were a lot of fun to write.
    I'm glad you liked them. :D

24. JadeSphera

Dec 10, 2018
    Provenance
    by Jâd Sphera

Notes:
    As always, a warm thank you to my Beta Reader @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the great support with proof-reading this story.

Chapter 8

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved the sibling talk. Full of gently affectionate teasing. Leia certainly almost put a damper on Luke's resolve about Mara :eek: Adored the way Luke discovered about Padme =D= Very touching and plausible. :cool:

Jâd Sphera likes this.