main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PS2 will whoop your ***!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Franz Flash, Feb 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartacus151

Spartacus151 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2000
    Originally posted by Franz Flash:
    The DC has great graphics and all but the PS2 has loads more potential. In a year the games for PS2 will beat DC games big time.

Wait a second, you were telling me the PS2 is waaaaay more powerful then the Dreamcast. But you think it will take a year for it to finally have better graphics than the Dreamcast. LOL. Like I've said before, that's when Dolphin is coming out. And Dolphin's launch titles will be amazing. Now I know the PS2 doesn't stand a chance, and if you'd listen to yourself and combine what you're saying with what we know about Dolphin, X-box, and Dreamcast, then you would realize that Sony is in serious trouble too.

[This message has been edited by Spartacus151 (edited 03-11-2000).]

2. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    Every video game company has it's own little spot where it fits in in the video game world. Each company is known for something.

Nintendo of course is known for great games with great characters. Nintendo has always been creative. They practically built the home console world. If it wasn't for Nintendo we probably wouldn't have a lot of the cool things on video games we have now. Don't get me wrong, we would probably have video game consoles eventually, they just would have some neat features on them or things in games.

Sega is known for their arcade ports, taking arcade games and putting them on their systems. They also have great characters like Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails, which are all from the same game, I know, but they could very easily give each one their own game.

Then there is Sony. Sony started at just the right time. Sega failed miserably with the Saturn and Nintendo stuck with cartriges, which I think you know the down side to that.
    The secret to Sony's success was the 3rd party support. The 3rd party developers didn't want to develop for either Nintendo or Sega so the only way was to develop for Sony.

So we know Sega and Nintendo will always be around because their roots are just too far down in the Video game market, but we'll just have to see if Sony and Microsoft have the staying power. Never before have this many companies tried competing in the Video game world, it will be a very interesting fight.

3. Franz Flash

Franz Flash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 1999
    So we know Sega and Nintendo will always be around because their roots are just too far down in the Video game market...
    Just cause they're veterans doesn't mean they can succeed without making good games. I believe they blew it (and I'm not the only one) with N64. Sony won that fight. If N would have made CDs in the first place they might have had a chance. It's not a coincidence the PSX still is much more expensive than the N64. If you know anything about marketing you'd know that the price goes decreases very fast on bad merchandise.
    Sega didn't do very well either. Both their 8-bit system and 16-bit system was better than Nintendo's 2 systems, but Saturn sucked co**.

As far as I'm concerned Sony's the big winner in the last few years, therefore it's gonna be interesting to see who'll win this upcoming fight with 4 parties. Sony's got all my trust and I hope they won't let me down - they've never done that before.

4. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    Besides the X-box doesn't look good at all from the pics I've seen. MS are completly unexperienced with making consoles. But then again, so was Sony before they made PSX and look at them now. You can take that any way you want but if you think they haven't succeeded you're stupid.

5. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    I think the PS2 is in serious trouble. I don't think it stands a chance against X-box. Here's a link: http://pc.ign.com/news/16378.html http://pc.ign.com/news/16378.html

It's rather ironic you're refering to that article since you're on Dreamcast's side. All those specifications they're comparing are better on PS2 than on DC which means the DC is in even more trouble than PS2. And it's definitely not six times better like you said before - it's twice as good, which I think could be a challenge for Sony to beat.

I may not be the right person to say this but it's not only the specs that count, it's the developers. It doesn't matter how good a system is as long as no one makes games for it.

I think this discussion this getting out of hand. You're too anti-Sony. You're not defending one system or saying you'll buy this system cause it's better than PS2. You're only trying to critize PS2 s much as possible. I could accept it if you said that DC was better because ... but you're not. You have Dolphin, DC and X-box on your side - if you want to find a flaw in PS2 you can most definitely find something in one of those 3 that's better. I seriously doubt you're gonna buy all of them. Do you even own a videogame?

[This message has been edited by Franz Flash (edited 03-12-2000).]

6. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    The X-box being 6x more powerful was just a rumor I had heard on other webdsites and furoms that started before really anything was known about the new system. I apologize if it was misleading.

Yes, I do have a few video games. I own the Game Boy, the Game Boy Color, the NES, the Super NES, the Sega Genisis, and the Nintendo 64, however I spend a lot of time at my cousins, he has a PSX and a N64.

I am no longer on any side, I simply enjoy all video games. Every system and company brings something unique and different to the table. There are always to sides to an arguement. In this topic you picked your side by naming it "PS2 will whoop your ***!", I just simply took the other side, PS2 will not whoop your ***!. From now on though I'll try to be a little more open minded.

That's interesting that you say Sony hasn't let you down yet, they've only made 1 system. Give them time, they'll disappiont. Look at Nintendo, they made the amazing NES and followed up with the Super NES. However, they're only human and came out with the N64. Nintendo is another example of something, they've showed that no way will 1 company take over the video game industry. Look at the NES, it had practiaclly no competition, other than Sega. And then they tightened their grip on the industry with the Super NES. Look at the sales and everything, they practically owned the video game market. However, then Sony came along and gave them a run for their money. It will be very interesting to see the next round in the console wars.

And don't worry about the X-box, I'm sure it will have plenty of developers. As a matter a fact here's an interesting link about that subject: http://www.xbox.com/quotes.htm http://www.xbox.com/quotes.htm

Also, the Dreamcast will being an amazing online video game system. (Now I know that that sounds awful biase, but you have to admit it will definately be awesome.) With this new power, coming out around the same time as the PS2's U.S. launch, Sega will definately play a major role in the up-coming console war. Here's 2 links: http://www.coremagazine.com/news/1857.php3 http://www.coremagazine.com/news/1857.php3
    http://www.dailyradar.com/features/game_feature_page_475_1.html http://www.dailyradar.com/features/game_feature_page_475_1.html

7. A-Wing Chun Fighter

A-Wing Chun Fighter Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2000
    The X-Box doesn't stand a chance against a PC. 600 MHz Intel PIII? 2001? The low end PCs are going to have 1 GHz procs by then, with equivalent video cards. Damn I even have a 900 right now (oc'ed), so its not even a match for my system. OK people will buy the X-Box but for people with PCs, why don't they just stick with their PCs. Remember that the games are supposedly x86 compatible, so its not like the games are going to be ONLY on the X-Box.

8. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I am extreamly excited for the plastation 2 but I hope the Japanese retail price changes(not likely) once it comes over here.
    the emotion engine is simply amazing and I think that the system now exists that can produce a theater quallity star wars game.
    hopefully the games are much more than ciniema eye candy and prove to have great gameplay just like the best ones on the old playstation.
    I dont think however that nintendo and sega are out of the fight.
    they still have multiple advantages.
    sega has a system out now and nintendo are the proud people who can say they have Sigeru Myamoto.
    But I am excited if any thing about the new final fantasy play station 2 games!
    looks like it will be a great system...but it wont kill it's compition that easily.

9. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    Originally posted by Tellesto:
    hopefully the games are much more than ciniema eye candy and prove to have great gameplay just like the best ones on the old playstation.

Unfortunately, the launch titles have neither of those features. The games graphics look like they could be done on the Dreamcast. Plus, practically every review has said, "If you've played Ridge Racer on the first Playstation, then you've practically played Ridge Racer V. The only difference is the graphics." I imagin that's how Gran Turismo 2000 and TTT will be also, but then again they could surprise me.

10. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    Here's something interesting somebody posted at another furom. I really don't remember the exact words but I do remember the just of what SirPsycho was saying.

Look at every system that has ever beat their competition, the NES, the SNES, the GameBoy, and the PSX. They were all a greyish cream color or just grey. Now look at all the systems that lost to their competitors, The Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO, the Game Gear, and the N64. They were all black. The Dreamcast is a creamy greyish color. The PS2 is black.

I just thought this was pretty wierd and interesting.

11. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 1999
    Well, I've been staying out of this one, mostly because I'm a big Nintendo supporter and right now it's between Sony and Sega.

But just as Franz Flash is confident that PS2 will dazzle him, and Spartacus is confident that Dreamcast will survive and perhaps even beat PS2, I'm confident that Dolphin will be a phenomenal video game system with fabulous games as soon as it comes out.

My parents would kill me if I asked for two video game systems, so I can only get one. And to me, Nintendo is the best, so I'm getting Dolphin when it comes out. In the meantime, there's always the N64.

Now, I was in Italy when it debuted, and when I moved back to the states my parents still thought video games corrupted the mind, etc. In 1998 I convinced them it wasn't, and for Christmas I got an N64 and three games. I got all the classics like GoldenEye as soon as I could, and now I'm buying a new game every once in a while.

12. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    First of all I think what Chun Fighter said was interesting. I've never thought of it that way. I bout my comp last X-mas (-98). It has a 400 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 6.4 GB and Voodoo 2 12 MB. When the X-box is out 3 years after I got my computer it'll have 200 MHz and 1.4 GB more HD. That's pretty wortless. The best computers by that time will be at least twice as good as the X-box will. Then again, it's more than the specs that count. The PSX has 33 MHz yet the same games on a PC requires 200 MHz.

The thing you quoted, Spartacus, was pretty interesting too. It is, of course, a coinsidence but it can be considered a bad omen. You also said the launch titles only has good graphics, you have apparently missed Kessen.

13. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's another advantage the PS2 has over the DC due to the DVD-function:
    Koei has been coy with details explaining how the DVD will be used to maximized Kessen on the PlayStation2, stating only that the DVD-ROM will provide clearer and more powerful visual images than a CD-ROM-based edition of the game could.
    http://ps2.ign.com/previews/13340.html http://ps2.ign.com/previews/13340.html

14. A-Wing Chun Fighter

Feb 12, 2000

[This message has been edited by A-Wing Chun Fighter (edited 03-12-2000).]

15. A-Wing Chun Fighter

Feb 12, 2000
    The thing is, the specs against a PC for an X-Box will be equivalent ( so 600 stacks up against 600), because its the same platform almost. With the other consoles the architecture is different than PCs.

16. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    One piont that I thought I should bring up again is the fact that you never have to upgrade a console, unlike computers. And when you do upgrade, I'll use the N64 for an example, all you do is take out the normal jumper pak and drop the Expansion Pak down in the slot. That's it. It took me more time to open the box then it did to install it. Plus it only cost $29.99 or you can get it for free by buying DK 64. Also, not that many games require it, actually there's only one that needs it and that's DK 64, which like I said, it comes with it, unlike computers. I bought Episode 1 for my computer not realizing that I'd need a 3D accelerator. That's why I only buy consoles.

17. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    Ya, but the question is, which console will you buy?

18. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    To be honest with you, I haven't really decided which console I'm going to buy. There's really something I like about every system.

The Dreamcast to me is an amazing system. Many people have over looked it figuring there's something bigger and better on it's way, but there's one thing you have to learn in life, and that is no matter what you have there is something better on it's way. Whether you're talking about video games, cars, or computers, you have to understand this, especially with the way technology is coming along so fast these days. There are several things that stand out to me about the DC. One thing is the games. Already the DC has seen so many amazing games, like Soul Calibur, Sonic, Crazy Taxi, and the many sports games. There are other terrific games on their way, such as Eternal Arcadia, Deep Fighter, Ecco the Dolphin, and MRS. So it's pretty obvious that there will be great games coming out for it for a very long time. Just look at the Saturn and how Sega supported that even though it was practically dead, and since the Dreamcast has already out sold the Saturn, I'm guessing it will stay around longer. Another thing I love about the DC is the controller. I don't care what anybody says about it, I think it's the best controller ever made for any system. I also think it's great how when the VMU card is in the controller it makes your own little private screen. Think of the endless possibilities developers can use that little screen for. The 3rd thing is the fact that the DC will soon have great internet access. With the new technology coming out and being shown at E3 the Dreamcast sales will definately go up. The 4th thing about the DC is the price. With most new systems coming out, their prices will be $300+ dollars, I don't have that kind of cash. When the PS2 comes out the Dreamcast will drop to a cheap and reasonable price of $150. There are plenty of other things I like about the DC, it's just that I don't want to make this post too huge.

The PS2 has really let me down. I used to be excited about it even back when I posted pro-Dolphin stuff, but now it seems that Sony has blow it out of proportion. Look at the launch games for the system, they really aren't that terrific. And by the time the PS2 finally starts getting some good games the Dolphin will be launched. Look at TTT, it seems that it's been over hyped. Link= http://ps2.ign.com/news/16441.html http://ps2.ign.com/news/16441.html
    It's games like this that make me wonder how long can they just keep making sequels. There's another reason I'm not too excited about the PS2, SEQUELS. If you've read anything I've ever posted you probably understand my disgust with the PSX's sequels. They did it with the PSX and now it's obvious they're doing it with the PS2. Plus the price. $300+ is a lot of money for a video game system. Sure it plays DVDs, but I really won't be using it for that if I get it. Also, 2 cotroller ports is pretty sad. How are they going to make terrific multi-player games with only 2 players? I sure don't think that's going to go over too well if I have parties. One reason I still play my N64 is when I have 3 or 4 friends come over and we play GoldenEye for 3 hours straight. Now I know there are multi taps, but not many games use that because not everyone has one. That's one reason Sega has their modem built in the DC, so everybody has one who buys a DC. Developers will be more likely to make online games if they know everybody has a modem. Really, most of the games I feel will be worth buying for the PS2 are made by EA, like TWINE, Medal of Honor 2, and the sports games. Now we all know that EA has refused to develop for the DC for some reason, but it appears they're very excited about the X-box. So really the PS2 can be all hype, but it could also be a great system, so we'll just have to wait and see.

As for Dolphin and X-box, I feel it's too early to judge them. So I really don't know what systems I'll buy, but I think E3 in May will help me decide. So, I imagin until then, we really won't hear anything new about X-box or Dolp

19. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    You know I think that a lot of people are taking the fact that there isn't a lot known about Dolphin in the wrong way. It's not that Nintendo or developers haven't started anything yet, it's just that they're being very quiet about it. Which I think is a very smart move. Here's a link: http://www.nintendonext.com/news/march2000/0198.shtml http://www.nintendonext.com/news/march2000/0198.shtml If you want to read the whole interview there's a link at the bottom of this article, this just mainly sums up the major points.

20. Captain_Panaka

Captain_Panaka Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2000
    I am planning to buy PSX2 because I need a DVD player and this is a good time to buy it. I am also planning to sell my N64 and PSX and some N64 game for a little cash$$$$. I remember the first time PSX came out and it was $300.00 it is the same thing with PSX2. I am saving my games from PSX when I get PSX2 and put it next to my Dreamcast.

21. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    Spartacus> You've made some good points there. The fact that pisses me off the most is that there's only two controller ports. I suddenly struck me last night when I was playing Tony Hawk (with a 4 player option) - "Hey, it must be great with 4 of them" (I've never played with more than 1 opponent/allie). Dang, how could they be so stupid? Heck, I'll buy it anyways. I won't buy no multi-tap though.

[This message has been edited by Franz Flash (edited 03-15-2000).]

22. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    I think this is some kind of reckord - I just found a DC for only $270 at a web store. I bet I heard someone say the good thing about the DC is the price...

23. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    Go to http://www.sega.com,www.sega.com, they have Dreamcasts for $199. All of my local stores have it for $199. That's the official price. Who ever is selling it for $200+ is ripping people off.

24. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    It's not ripping off, that's what you have to pay for electronics nowdays.

25. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    Originally posted by Franz Flash:
    It's not ripping off, that's what you have to pay for electronics nowdays.

No, I'm trying to explain this to you, you don't have to pay that much. You shouldn't pay that much. The official price of the Sega Dreamcast is $199.99. Every store I've ever been to has had it for $199. Do you understand what I'm saying? It's $199, that's the price. I would like to know exactly where you saw it for $200+, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.