main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PS2 will whoop your ***!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Franz Flash, Feb 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Dark Lord of the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Tekken for PS2 looked bad because the developers had only about 8 months to make it. Games for the intracasy of the PS2 should take upto two years to come out. Personally, I really don't trust Sega anymore because of Saturn. And I'm fed up with Nintendo and their crappy games. I own a 64 and hate it. I wish I would have bought a PS when I had the chance. I would buy it except Sony's releasing PS2 in a few months.

And isn't this the Jedi Council Forum, the place to discuss Star Wars, not argue over which system will be better?

"Can't we all just... get along?"

2. Jedi Matrix

Jedi Matrix Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2000
    The Dolphin will play DVD and it will be a more powerful system, so don't feel sorry for Nintendo. . .they aren't going anywhere soon. And as for the 64, with a new Resident Evil game, the new Zelda, Perfect Dark and the latest Bond game due out this year, they will keep their loyal fans at bay until the Dolphin comes out.
    Oh, by the way. . .SONY SUCKS!

3. Spartacus151

Spartacus151 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord of the Jedi:
    Tekken for PS2 looked bad because the developers had only about 8 months to make it.
    Actually Soul Calibur had only 8 months too. They were both arcade games that were ported to systems. So Soul Calibur had the same amount of time and even came out first and still it looks better than TTT.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Personally, I really don't trust Sega anymore because of Saturn. And I'm fed up with Nintendo and their crappy games.
    Sega has definately changed their ways. Take a look at the Dreamcast. Look at all the awesome games it has already. Look at all of the great games coming out for it. It seems like for every good PS2 game there's atleast one Dreamcast game coming out that seems even better. And with SegaNet coming out, how could you not like the Dreamcast?

I don't know what N64 games you have but I know I've never regretted getting my N64. With games like Zelda, Mario, and GoldenEye how could you not like the N64? Apparently you love 30 sequals for a game and tons of copies of original games by other companies.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>And isn't this the Jedi Council Forum, the place to discuss Star Wars, not argue over which system will be better?
    Well considering the fact that this topic is on it's 5th page and has somewhere around 170 posts, I'm guessing the moderators really don't mind.

[This message has been edited by Spartacus151 (edited 04-20-2000).]

4. Spartacus151

Spartacus151 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2000
    From http://www.gamefan.comwww.gamefan.com
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In fact, when asked which is harder to program for, the PS2 or the Saturn, Mikami responded with this short response: "PS2 is harder, hands-down."
    For anybody who has paid attention to the history of video games this means only one thing, bad news. For the whole editorial go here: http://www.gamefan.com/hotinfo.asp?s=6301&rs=0 http://www.gamefan.com/hotinfo.asp?s=6301&rs=0

5. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Mar 5, 2000
    There may be a lot of great games out for and on the horizon for DC, but Sega is millions in debt, from developing DC and the failure of Saturn. I really think that even with all those great games, Sega just can't make a profit on DC or even make it out of the debt they're in.

And the games you mentioned for 64, those are great games, I own all of those. But it really can't make up for all the crappy games that have been released for it. And the fact that its been passed over by many companies that have gone to PS because of its usage of cartriges,etc... also was a major blow to the 64 and Nintendo. Those games also don't make up for Nintendo releasing a release date and the pushing a game back 6 months. I really want PD for 64, but the fact that Nintendo pushed it back 6 months really bugs me. I'm not so sure I want it or any other game for the 64 now.

6. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 1999
    I don't know much about all this technical and history stuff, I just play the system that I think has the best games. And for me, that's Nintendo. Nice to see this thread is still going strong.

7. darkstarX

darkstarX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    lucasarts will get the 3rd partys back to nintendo with their new games.

8. Franz Flash

Franz Flash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 1999
    My lil' sister's got a N64 and I may buy Perfect Dark and definitley Excitebike 64. That's about the faith I'll ever have in Nintendo again. I can't believe how they could blow everything they had before the damn N64. I've always loved NES and SNES.

Since there are so many good games for the PS (I'm not saying there are no bad ones) there should be as many for the PS2 within a year. I still believe Nintendo is for younger people, and that's probably why I loved it when I was little. But then again there's the DC which I've honestly never played, all I know is that the only game I want (that I can't get on another platform) is Crazy Taxi.

9. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    EA is making games for the PS2 and not for the DC which should make Sony the big winner.

10. Flame151

Flame151 Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 1999
    Franz, EA is only one developer. And besides, all EA ever brings is rehashes of sims of God-awful American sports (sorry for that, I'm from Ireland) - how many games of basketball, American Football and baseball do you really need?

There is only a tiny difference in each game based on one sport. And don't tell me about updates! All they do is upgrade the graphics, and maybe add a miniscule feature that's so small nobody will notice!

I personally can't wait for the Dolphin. I love Miyamoto's games, I look forward to each and every one of his games.

And Franz, Nintendo is not just for kids. I'm 21, nearly 22, and the only Nintendo console I ever owned was N64. (before that though I loved my friend's SNES and always played on it).

And about PSX/PSY. How many rehashes and sequels do you need? Good God, more Lara Croft games have come out in the last few years than there have been Zelda games!

11. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    Flame151 -&gt;Ya, I personally don't care about all the EA titles but there are many people who do.

Unfortunately I must agree Miyamoto's great and he's probably the only reason I'd ever buy the Dolphin.

I know there's a lot of sequels on the PSX but there are loads of great games too, that aren't sequels. The thing is that when a game is successfull (sp?) they make sequel after sequel until no one care any more. There are, not as many, sequels on Nintendo too. The Mario concept has been tested 'til it's limit and I'm surprised people still buy it. The Turok series (3rd one coming soon) and, of course, Zelda. The thing with those is that they're all wonderful games (except Turok).

PS. You're not Spartacus151, Flame151, are you (I'm talking about the 151)? DS.

12. Gandalf253

Gandalf253 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franz Flash:
    I can't believe how they could blow everything they had before the damn N64. I've always loved NES and SNES.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Since there are so many good games for the PS (I'm not saying there are no bad ones) there should be as many for the PS2 within a year.

Those 2 quotes contradict themselves. You just practically stated above that you can't judge a company's system by the systems that came before it. Then you say since the PS did well then so will the PS2. You said that you loved the NES and SNES but not the N64, which means it's possible to love the PS but not the PS2. Just because the Playstation before it did well doesn't mean the PS2 will do the same. Look at the scenario with the PS. It was the easiest to develop for and the cheapest. Now the PS2 is the hardest to develop for and the most expensive. Sure big companies like EA and Square can afford the time and money to develop for it, but what about the 3rd party developers that made the PS so popular? They'll go to develop for the Dolphin or Dreamcast in a matter of time. The only advantage the PS2 has is it's brand name, Sony.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Mario concept has been tested 'til it's limit and I'm surprised people still buy it. The Turok series (3rd one coming soon) and, of course, Zelda. The thing with those is that they're all wonderful games (except Turok).
    Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more. Why did they keep making Mario games? Just compare the first Mario on the NES to Mario64. There isn't that much of a difference now is there. (I'm being sarcastic.) The thing with Nintendo's sequals is that they're sprend over 5 systems, not 1 like the Playstation's.

P.S. No, Spartacus151 and Flame151 are not the same person. However, Spartacus151 and Gandalf253 are. It's a long story but I needed and wanted to get another name.

13. vakero

vakero Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 1999
    The GeForce 2 smokes the PSX2.

14. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Mar 5, 2000
    and just what is the GeForce2?

15. Darth Morphious

Darth Morphious Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2000
    Yeay, what is it. I have not heard of it.

TAKE YOUR PICK, AND CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY
    http://members.aol.com/PrinceG0R0/bigbud.jpg

16. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    Gandalf253 -&gt; You're right, that is pretty contradictive now that you say it.

I've analyzed some of the games for N64 and PSX and there really is a difference. The N64 games has a really high quality/standard and there isn't many sequels. On the other hand, PSX has lots more games but they're not as good. There are many good games but even more bad ones. Right now I'm in the middle (actually in the end but that's not what I meant) of Zelda: OoT and I love it. It has that atmosphere you practically never get while playing games on the PSX and so does many other N64 games. There are also a lot of great games coming soon. But, there is a lack of RPG's methinks.

However, I'm still gonna buy a PS2 but the Dolphin isn't ruled out yet. I'll let the future (and wallet) decide which will be the definite winner (after the PS2 vs. DC war).

17. Darth_Cartman

Darth_Cartman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 1999
    Geoforce 2 is a high-end GPU graphics card for the PC - it kicks the pants of anything else on the consumer market at present.

I don't know how it will compare to the graphical capabilities of PS2, but I dare say it will top it (if not the 3rd gen which no doubt will be out before end of summer).

18. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Mar 5, 2000
    New info on PS2:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>From http://ps2.ign.com: http://ps2.ign.com:
    At its pre-E3 press conference in Los Angeles, Sony today announced exact pricing and release details for PlayStation2.

Price: As speculated, the US launch price for the PlayStation2 is $299 ? just like the original PlayStation.
    Launch Date: The system will be released on October 26, 2000.
    Sony also announced that the US PlayStation2 will feature an expansion bay on the back of the unit that enables connection of a 3 1/2 inch hard drive and a network card. These two items will be sold separately. The release dates for these two peripherals are currently unknown.

So it's for sure PS2 comes out much sooner than Dolphin or X-Box, it will have a modem/network card available for it sooner or later, and it will have a hard drive available at some point, too. Also looks like both the modem and hard drive will be upgradable, so it should be able to handle its own against Dolphin, X-box, and DC.

Looks like those companies have their work cut out for them, now.

[This message has been edited by Dark Lord of the Jedi (edited 05-10-2000).]

19. Gandalf253

Apr 28, 2000
    Really I couldn't care less about the PS2 with all the cool stuff Sega's coming out with.

From dreamcast.ign.com
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The company was running side by side comparisons of Gran Turismo on Dreamcast and Gran Turismo on PlayStation, and the results were unquestionably impressive. With the high resolution, the texture filtering, and the smooth framerate, the game actually looks very close to GT2000 on the PS2.
    Here's the rest of the story: http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/19306.html http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/19306.html

Also from dreamcast.ign.com
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>However, while walking though Sega?s monster of a booth, we got a look at several hot little numbers, including what Sega labeled the Dreamcast DVD player.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Also on display was a new model of the Dreamcast MP3 Player, and this time it comes in silver.
    Here's the rest: http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/19348.html http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/19348.html

Now let's think this through. The PS2 will be able to play DVDs, CDs, PS games, and PS2 games. The Dreamcast will be able to play CDs, DVDs, PS games, MP3s, and Dreamcast games. Plus, the Dreamcast is $300 cheaper if you sign up for Sega Net, has 4 controller ports, and has a modem built right into it. The Dreamcast also has tons of great games coming out for it.

20. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    How do you know the DC can play PS games?

Now that the PS2 is even more hyped the DC will be more or less forgotten. And completely forgotten when the masterpiece is out. As I've said before the PS2 games are much better than the DC games. There's two Final Fantasy's and three Star Wars games coming. Only one of those makes it worth $300. And I still think there's some kind of catch with that Sega Net deal. There must be or they'll loose even more money than they did with the Saturn.

21. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 1999
    Given the amount of hype for the Dreamcast, come October there will lots of news stories on PS2. It's always fun to see 60 network anchors talking about video games .

22. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    Six words: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

23. Gandalf253

Apr 28, 2000
    The Dreamcastcan play PS games using bleem!. Here's some more about bleem!: http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/19710.html http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/19710.html

The Metal Gear Solid game does sound cool but it's coming out in the fall of 2001 the same time as the X-box. Which means we'll already have games that look that good.

The reason I haven't posted as often as I normally do is because I got a Dreamcast about a week ago. I got the Dreamcast, Soul Calibur, Ready 2 Rumble, Rayman 2, and Crazy Taxi. These 4 games are the most addictive games I've ever played. As a matter of fact I'm going to go play some Crazy Taxi right now.

24. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, if you would have played Metal Gear Solid you'd know that's it's sooo much more than just graphics. It didn't look too good when it came out but the story, characters and music etc. made it one of the best games ever (I'm not the only one who think so). It's like the best movie you've ever seen except than you actually can participate in it.

Why the heck didn't you get Sonic Adventure!?!

By the way, let me know when you have 4 controllers. Since you think it's so good with 4 controller-ports I wanna see if you actually use the option.

25. Single Twin

Single Twin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2000
    Ba dum dum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.