main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate PSA: Do NOT donate your body to "science"

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Mar 11, 2021.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know about in other countries, but in the US this is a for profit industry. You donate your loved ones' body and a broker gets to sell it or it's pieces for profit.

There is almost never an assurance that such donations actually go to the scientific cause you'd like it to. In fact usually the bodies are cut up and like parts kept together and often sold in bulk to the highest bidder.

Also what counts as science for these brokers is very loose..one family was horrified to find their grandmother's body was not used for medical research, but was instead blown up by the military to test munitions.

This was a rabbit hole I went down a few years ago, reading about this industry and these stories. Here's just one of them.

https://time.com/5636486/fbi-body-donation-arizona/

Anyway, be an organ donor if you want to help others. But specify live donors, not donation to "scientific research". I just did this with my state.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How do you sell a dead body for profit? What value is there in it, if not for getting usable organs?

3. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    That’s an incredibly shocking article, particularly the “morbid joke” that was carried out by the workers. I wouldn’t treat a dead animal the way these people treat human remains. When I die, doctors can take whatever organs are still of any use for transplant, but the rest of me is going into the ground.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm going to be honest, this is the only part that makes me angry. Give my family their cut you suspiciously literal given this is a metaphor vultures.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Somehow, society gets weirder about someone (or their beneficiaries) getting financial gain from body parts being sold than various corporations getting financial gain.

6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Everything is for sale, I suppose [face_plain]

Here, donation of one's corpse for science can only be made to a specific list of universities (27 in total). A small fee (in the low hundred Euros) is generally asked for, essentially for processing the demands. Inhumation or cremation of a body donated for science is paid for by the establishment that received the donation.

No private actors are entitled to receiving a corpse donated for science, it is entirely illegal here. Donations for science cross into experimentation with private actors under very specific circumstances, like experimentation undertaken for the purpose of determining legal security norms.

7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    In Austria when you agree to donate your body to science it is usually used for medical reasons/researches (University). I think in some cases they use it for accident research. The number of institutions allowed to receive bodies is limited.
    Afterwards the body gets burned and buried in an honor grave of the science institute.
    E.g. the mom of a friend of mine died on a very rare specific cancer. She donated her body to science and after her death her body was forwarded to the medical institute that treated her.

For organ donation it is different. You explicitly need to disagree. Otherwise you might get cannibalized like an old car.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, you’re probably not being cannibalized per se. :p

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Soylent Green - it's people, and it's yummy!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Recycled sounds better than cannibalized indeed.

- Did you like the President?
    - I sure did.
    - Then have a second helping.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    These brokers also come into hospitals and prey on families whose loved ones are about to die..and no, the family doesn't get the money. It's gross.

12. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007

Woo boy, i knew this day would come. I worked for their competitor, straight out of college. The FBI raided that place because the owner of the lab i worked in acted nice and like they were friendly companies. He toured their facility a few times, noted down **** and then called the FBI to eliminate competition. Ruthless *******

Ive got some horror stories from that place, gorier than any horror slasher you could imagine.

I had to teach the lab supervisor (who had been there since it opened) where certain tissues are for collection because they had been gathering it from wrong body areas. He subsequently fired me and told me i don't deserve to work in healthcare in any way and i didn’t know what i was doing (he was collecting pituitary tissue from the abdomen guys like come the ****on).

He had a BS in business...

The owner has no post high school education, managerial staff are all his kids (most of whom didn’t finish high school either and all of them smoked while working in the sterile operating room.) The family was highly religious and i was told by former coworkers I was actually fired for being jewish.

That was kind of a ramble on- anyway after i worked there and saw what we did (we were told all tissue/organ collections went to med schools or training for research facilities- like if you had stomach cancer for example but looking back it probably isn’t legitimate) i took myself off of organ donation lists.

I just want to be cremated and planted as a tree for the wife now. Many decades in the future.

To be fair- I loved the work. It was laid back and I could use my surgical tech degree daily without the stressors of an OR, but looking back it was probably really under the table and i was really naive.

Edit: What SJ said above is definitely true. In addition, most families PAY to have their deceased family members as part of these programs. Anything not used or useful is cremated and returned to family or given a burial at sea on a ship (they take hundreds of cremations and scatter them in the ocean).

13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Nah, recycled does not sound dramatic enough.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, but whereas cannibalizing is something you can only metaphorically do to a car there's a rather specific literal meaning once you're talking about a corpse that I think is several degrees more extreme than "having organs reused to save lives."

DarthPhilosopher, Darth Guy and Sarge like this.
  15. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I love language.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm just saying if you're going to cannibalize my remains, do not leave the organs intact for future reuse. Make a sausage or something.

17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'll probably follow Rodney Dangerfield's advice and donate my body to science fiction.

Sarge and Beef_Sweetener like this.
  18. Beef_Sweetener

Beef_Sweetener Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 25, 2005
    I wish to be shot out of a cannon through the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and into the Mississippi River.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I want a giant pyramid to be built as my mausoleum and nothing less.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow didn't realize we had someone here who had worked in one of these places. What you described jives with all the reporting I've read, that these people also don't have any specific training or licensing.. it's a mess.

21. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Prop me up beside the jukebox when I die.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'll need a couple of you mother****ers to Weekend at Bernie's me.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I feel like this should be in a movie.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exhume any of my organs that still have use (probably none by that point), then cremate me and toss my ashes over Linville Gorge.

But do a Weekend at Bernie’s scene with my corpse outside NC Senator Phil Berger’s window at 3 a.m. first.

Diggy likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Family heist movie to recover grandma from the military before they blow up her corpse?

Alpha-Red likes this.