main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Oh? You don't like politics? All what is being discussed about are the trade disputes between the left and right wing federation:p

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That's not the heart of the criticism. The heart of it was that she was a sexist stereotype. The cold bitchy professional woman who hates kids. And her arc was about going from being an evil, selfish professional woman to a warm, loving woman once she embraced motherhood. It was the ages old childless, evil woman trope, and that was hammered over the audience's heads time and again. On top of it you get that brutal, extended insanely unnecessary death for the female assistant (always on her phone and not being motherly enough to the kids), and you can pretty clearly see that the criticism was warranted. There are some very sexist elements of that film which have nothing to do with high heels. Book of Henry, which I've seen, continues that track record.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  3. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Wasn't the Book of Henry...Originally a book? Odd film for him to make if it was an original movie..

4. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    So, if Trevorrow does get booted, which director(s) would the posters in here like to see brought in for Ep. IX? I'm largely oblivious to current movies in general, so I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    You got that much out of it?:confused:

First off, to say that the PA's death is sexist is a bit of a stretch IMO. One could just as easily watch JP and assume that Spielberg really hates overweight people.
    [​IMG] It's a monster movie, people get eaten all the time in those things.

As for Bryce Dallas Howard;
    'Claire' begins the film as a career driven individual, and by the end has leaned the importance of family, after having to rescue her nephews from the man eating Dinosaurs. Is it tropey yes, and granted the characterisation in JW is pretty thin in general, but it's hardly the worst of Hollywood. If anything, her character arc is somewhat derivative of Alan Grant's in the original JP. A man who begins his film apathetic anything but Dino-fossils. Then, after being set up with his host's grandchildren by his girlfriend, becomes far more sociable. Again, are we now to accuse Spielberg and Crichton of being wildly sexist because Ellie Sattler wanted a baby?

Now lets compare 'Claire' from 'Jurassic World' to Sara (Emily Blunt) from 'Looper'. The latter is a former drug addict who initially dumps her child with her sister, but comes clean after a family tragedy, and from that time on literally wants nothing more than to be a good mother. Also somewhat tropey IMO. Yet people seem capable of giving RJ the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his handling of Rey.

You keep painting Trevorrow as a raging misogynist, but honestly, as a woman and a feminist, I have to say I just don't see it.[face_dunno]

According to Wikipedia (yes I know, lazy me [face_beatup]) 'The Book of Henry' is an original film, that is, it was never a book first. However the earliest drafts of the screenplay date as far back a 1998, while the fact that Jurassic World caused complications with Trevorrow's involvement with the project suggest that he didn't become involved until some time later.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Henry

6. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    Jorge Rucas.

;)

Eh...Del Tero maybe? Wait...Tarantino..He's all about the old school form of films..

Deniz Akçay? Yeah I know It'll never happen but a man can dream..

Patty Jenkins? While WW was "Wonderfully-Mediocre" in my eyes(Captain Amercia/Stock morality), Her MONSTER film was one of the most emotional movies I've seen for a while. She did just become the first female director with a big opening like this so Disney has to bank on her, not to mention she just got a **** ton of money off of that money movie(from what it seems. I did not see much of her nor what she has to say about the film. She did a reddit AMA but it feels like the movie got far more popularity than she did).

Ahh wait..She did say she was not interested in making a SW film(maybe not a mainline one?)

I got it...Sofia Coppola! The daughter of Francis Coppola! Sofia has done some really great films in the past, and the fact that she is related to a legend(who is within the hollywood infrastructure) could get her a spot stupid easy without a doubt. Bob Iger would have to lay down for Sofia...

Of course I can't come up with anyone else right now due to being sleep deprived but that is all I have at the moment.

7. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I'm going to pretend you didn't say Tarantino. :p

8. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Going by this logic, Lucas is a major sexist for depicting the Han/Leia Romance in TESB. He should get it way harder than Colin.

Hmm...Henry is actually a somewhat of a decent movie. The critics think this is the worst thing to come ever to a cinema and it isn't even close to that regard. It has a lot of issues but interesting nonetheless.

It's actually funny that most of these user I see actually have a gender. I completely forget sometimes that there are human beings of different sexes behind this digital interface with emotions and a physical body. I just assume(jokingly) no one is anything within the spectrum of sex within the users until proven otherwise[face_laugh]

Oh right...There's an thing called "profiles"...

ezekiel22x and Darthman92 like this.
  9. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    Aww..Don't like excessive blood and R rated dialogue in a Star Wars film? Get with the times Bail:p

Mostly Handless and B3 like this.
  10. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Oh I could be persuaded, maybe five or six Anthologies down the road.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Also the lawyer guy in the original got an especially humiliating and brutal death scene. This stuff has been a staple of JP since the beginning. And regarding the running parenthood theme, The Lost World had Malcom's daughter along for the ride, which developed him in a different manner than the first, where he was mostly just there to be the cool sarcastic guy.

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

13. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017

Yes, and during early production for Raiders George Lucas suggested making Marion Ravenwood 12 the first time she slept with Indy because he thought it would be funny. The man now has three daughters.

I'm sure CT has come a long way since home base.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I've seen Book of Henry, and no, I don't believe he has.

15. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Well its gonna be a long two years for you then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In all seriousness though, I sincerely doubt that Kathleen Kennedy would let anything remotely objectifying of Rey, any of the other female charters in IX, or anything that would be considered demeaning toward women in general, get past herself and her executive team. They'll check, and double check CT's screenplay, and then have ghost writers all over the thing.
    Unless of course you believe that LFL doesn't give a Monkey's Uncle about quality control.;)

Edit: P.S. I wouldn't be at all surprised if KK has seen home base...and still hired CT anyway.

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Homebase is an overtly dark comedic movie between two inappropriate and immature human beings who decide their own path of passionate and self-fulfilling gratification is through the pleasures of sex. Of course the movie comes off as "edgy" and "stupid". Young kids will always do things to express themselves wildly without any form of a filter, logic, concise form or much of something that feels focused(George Lucas was guilty of this too!) A famous director who is regarded as a great director, Katlyn Jenkins, who did Zero Dark Thirty and other popular films.(I think that is her name) did an overtly BLATANT political film about a Lesbian Feminist Army taking over the government and ridding of all the detrimental social agenda. The premise of the movie might I say, sounds incredibly daringly tasteful.. I was quite interested to see a film so wild and verbose but much to my expectations, it is what you'd expect to see of a young director tackling politics(typically speaking here as not all are in this generalized formula but it still applies). Raw, unfocused, very strong in the opinions of ones ideals both in the film and the meta, blatant yet unique with no amount of subtly whatsoever. Lucas had the similar structure with one of his short films(Both his and Born In Flames are strikingly similar).

But yes...Many who were young and brash are older and wiser. They wouldn't make such radical decisions constantly, especially those that they relate with. I'm sure Lucas now wouldn't really appreciate someone implying that they would have slept with one of his kids when he now has 3 girls. As you stated, people change over the course of time. Even if they stay the same there is always this tiny equation that shifts and twist from the years to come. A little too long of a post but I just wanted to get that out of the way since Colin's "Homebase" film is being used against him online. Makes little sense to go back to the past and judge them based on attributes which has been since dropped. Safety Not Guaranteed, despite some of the predictability and odd choices of cliches, does show that he has matured within his film-making to say the least. Hell, I'll even give JW plus for showcasing his newfound abilities(criticism aside, the movie was very entertaining)/

thejeditraitor and ezekiel22x like this.
  17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I've seen Book of Henry, and no, I don't believe he has progressed significantly (in terms of his portrayal of women) since Home Base.

18. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Oh definitely. Colin is not a one man show like Lucas. He has many, many people watching his back. If the sexism and objectification does go through...Well..He has the entire internet, feminist and many others that will go against his crude ideal. And we know Disney..They hate having anything of negativity remotely close to their face.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  19. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    Well look...If something is up, the production would probably halt and Kathleen would find another director. Plenty fishes in the sea, and I'm sure we can have a nice delay of SW for once.

Mostly Handless and Gigoran Monk like this.
  20. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Isn't it a bit soon and a bit ridiculous asking for, or speculating about the possibility of, Colin Trevorrow being struck off? I mean, if nothing else would confirm Disney have no principles, no backbone, no ability to place any faith in their choices at the first sign of trouble, removing CT would surely be it.

This kind of crass media speculation that pushes these ideas into the geek-media complex essentially means the man is being tried in the court of public opinion. Disney should stand by him and let him do what they hired him to do: which is make the final installment of their sequel trilogy saga.

One dud, or one movie with low critic approval, and it's curtains for the guy? The gossipy, click-bait-driven nature of media reporting is very trashy. I feel bad for the man because this is exactly the same road the media has gone down time and time again with Lucas and the prequels. Anything and everything is seized upon as some point of high controversy. Sometimes, I think people also delight in seeing films "fail" and watching directors fall to the ground.

21. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    KK & Lucasfilm aren't above sacking someone (Trank), but they need to do a lot more than direct one dud movie to warrant that. Still if they did make a change I'd vote for Gareth Edwards. He seems very keen & is an even stronger candidate now having made one very well recieved & successful SW movie.

22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, I don't think they'll sack CT, but IF (and that's a huuuuuuuge "IF") they did, I bet JJ would be brought back to close the trilogy.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think it's funny that Home Base is making the fandom rounds as if it's some dark, dirty secret of Trevorrow's that's suddenly come to light. It's been hosted on youtube since 2006. Kind of reminds me of that bonus feature footage of Lucas and company viewing an early cut of TPM, and how it was used as gotcha proof that the film was doomed from the start.

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Holy crap! I thought it was a DIY and furniture store like B&Q.

I must be sure to visit the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and garden sections next time I go...

25. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Claire in Jurassic World saves the men in the movie by bringing the T-Rex to save them, but damn it she learned the importance of family and had her maternal instincts kick in. We can't have that.

Colin Trevorrow, you're such a misogynist. [face_plain]

I wonder how many of the people crying misogyny would be offended at the prospect of my wife choosing to be a stay-at-home mom. I mean, her maternal instincts kicked in and she decided her children were more important than her career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.